• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Element i

MPA1

Thank you for your reply,
I do not use Roon,

and I now see what you were indicating.

Matrix are not shipping just yet ,

So no, I do not have a Matrix i

I am in hope of a review here soon

(how about Matrix,PLEASE send a review sample to Amir)

ah misunderstood you there. too bad.

OP
SpyB

SpyB

ah misunderstood you there. too bad.

I might buy a Matrix i , and if anyone is interested,I could report back on what I think.

In Regards to Roon,I do not have any need to use it, the setup I have,works well for me.

And I find it very versatile,I am using JRiver as my media player and streaming from a NAS .

Although,I think for those who wish to use Roon or any of the other streaming site,they offer

a lot of content and options.
Cheers

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
I love the aesthetic design of Matrix products. So classy.

OP
SpyB

SpyB

I love the aesthetic design of Matrix products. So classy.

I have to agree with that comment,and look how well they have done here on Amir's testing.

I really like to see how the Matrix i does under test,I guess it will happen in time,and suspect it will

be a winner in it's category

OP
SpyB

SpyB

At the beginning of this thread,I made this statement

" possibly is
equal to / or better than, the mini i pro 2s/ for the element series" (that was incorrect)

I have since discovered that it is basically a stripped down version of the Matrix element M

And if items like the onboard power supply/ dual core cpu,replaces 4 core cpu/ different headphone amp,

dual skin construction are important to you,then the element M would be the way to go.

If not, then the element i is very cost effective,and has quite a few upgrade paths

that could make it a very good device.

Items like a linear power supply and the Matrix element H, ( https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/333.html )

may have a very positive result

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
OP
SpyB

SpyB

I'd doubt it, really
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-you-need-linear-power-supply-for-dacs.7021/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-the-hdplex-200w-supply.7713/

not to mention the matrix x-spdif 2 works flawlessly over USB Power rather than external power as another advocate against fancy LPS

Yes! you can doubt all you like that is your prerogative, and I had previously read those 2 reviews

Matrix themselves imply that adding a LPS would be a upgrade to the supplied SMPS,

and they use a LPS in the element M.

Also the matrix x-spdif 2 may work perfectly over USB,and that is possibly because Matrix paid attention to the design.

As they have stated in the manual of the element H, that even if you use the

onboard USB power,it will still be good, these devices have power filtering in their design(I believe all the element series).

The purpose of this device Element H / is for those who may have a very electrically noisy Computer,

and lets face it they all generate a lot of electrical noise

Sure everything will work fine from the USB port,I think the design of devices like the Element H is an attempt

to extract the very best performance from the Computer (as stated by Matrix).

Anyway, you "DOUBT" all you like.

Last edited:

Ruxx

Im eagerly awaiting the review of this unit. @amirm
If it measures as good as previous matrix products then this will be my next dac/amp purchase to use at work.

OP
SpyB

SpyB

Don't mean anything by it. I just really don't think these 'tweaks' are worth the money.

I did not think /you did,

other than you doubted the validity of a good LPS and the Matrix H.

I do not think these can be considered tweaks,

the Matrix H serves a very real purpose/to present a clean output from a PC.

This is not available from a standard USB port,as a computer is electrically,

a very noisy source.The PC I put together has a motherboard that has

2 electrically/filtered USB ports,separate from the main USB Bus,the

manufacturer provided this as they understand the need for noise

isolation when connecting a DAC to a Computer.

Good for you,that you do not think these kind of devices are

worth the money/you have saved some $$$$.

And I know you are just expressing an opinion,that is the

great thing about Audio Science Review, we can say what we think.

Right or Wrong

Last edited:

Daggyz

Is it a pretty safe assumption that the DAC portion will probably measure less than most of the $400-600 range 4497/9038 dacs we've been seeing lately? I'd imagine the 9028 in this would still be good but not as good as 9038 offers in the aforementioned price range.

OP
SpyB

SpyB

Is it a pretty safe assumption that the DAC portion will probably measure less than most of the $400-600 range 4497/9038 dacs we've been seeing lately? I'd imagine the 9028 in this would still be good but not as good as 9038 offers in the aforementioned price range.

I do not think that / the assumption would be a safe, the ESS 9028 Pro is a very good dac,and in some respects is better than the ESS 9038 Pro

It produces less heat, and if you look at the Okto DAC 8 pro review, it has none of the Famous ESS Hump, this is of course is down to the

engineering skills of the people concerned/although in regards to the ESS hump issue I think it is generally better anyway.

Also a poorly implemented ESS9038 would be inferior to a properly implemented ESS 9028,and I think the Okto review here on

ASR is proof of that / I guess we have to wait and see what Matrix can do with the ESS9028 Pro Implementation in the Matrix element i

having used their products,I know they are a very skilled team.And they are using the ESS 9028 Pro in the Matrix element M, this has been

well received. As I understand the Matrix element i, is a scaled down version of the Matrix element M, 2 core processor vs 4 core processor

no on board LPS, different head amp,no double skin case /although if you wish not to use the supplied SMPS/you can use your own LPS.

And I think there a possible benefits to have the power separate from the main electronics,eg: 2 box implementation of a device,

manufacturers do not generally do this as there is the added expense involved.

I believe Matrix are going to send Amir a review sample,I hope it is soon

Cheers

Last edited:

Ruxx

The actual link:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ma-remote/id1475439058

This is a dedicated mobile app for Matrix music streamers. Matching with MA player digital/streaming audio playback system, you can browse and play music from iPhone in the same local area network (LAN). The music source can be in USB drives or MicroSD cards. You also can add SMB sharing folders to Matrix music streamers via MA Remote. All your local digital audio sources will be displayed in a single music Library.

MA Remote also allow you log in your streaming service account such as Tidal, you can browse your favorite artists and enjoy their albums in MA Remote.

Summary of features:

- Music library by album and artist

- Play music in the Library of Matrix music streamer

- Manage playlists

- Browse music files in local storage and network storage

- Control Matrix music streamer by virtual remote control

- Add streaming service account and play streaming audio through Matrix music streamer

- Manage one or more Matrix music streamers

- Configure Matrix music streamer hardware settings

- Update firmware for Matrix music streamer

paddycrow

Forum Donor
Appearance wise, I think their products resemble Aurender with the aluminum case and finned sides.

The Element I would interest me if it measures close to the Element X.

MPA1

$891 right now at shenzhenaudio.com

I really would like to pull the trigger, but with no known impressions or reviews online I find it hard and with the X sabre pro reaching the same price second hand it is a difficult decision.

Top Bottom