• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Element i

Bliman

from @skipost-it's and @MatrixAudio previous posts
-Dual core instead of quad core ARM processor
-Not MQA certified
-WLAN is only 2.4Ghz (only one antenna)
-It loses 768Khz in the USB input (up to 384kHz on USB, 768kHz on I2S)
-It has no microsd input and chassis is smaller
-12V 1.5A switching psu instead of internal toroidal power supply
-Otherwise it seems to use the same dac, headphone amplification system etc
First thanks for the list. But I like to know what is the difference in dual core and quad core in regard to the performance.
Or does it do something else.

skipost-it

The data processing speed will be the main difference between both processors.
In this case, the conversion of the audio track.
Dual Core its OK for a DAC (only 10-15% slowly than Quad Core)
Maybe speed problems will be coming with Single Core... (60% slowly in Graphic cards results)
Surely a graph, I just demonstrated the main differences ...

9wFILDS.png

3WSOTRH.png

xJkq0zm.png

Veri

Master Contributor
well maybe you know a bit about circuit design,and can elaborate

on "Very Pretty"

Thank you
It looks neat, clean, very organized and has a big 'ol heatsink. That's all I got lol, I'm not a circuit designer/engineer sorry to say. Besides, the image is not hi-res enough to see any specifics of the smaller parts, anyway.

OP
SpyB

SpyB

It looks neat, clean, very organized and has a big 'ol heatsink. That's all I got lol, I'm not a circuit designer/engineer sorry to say. Besides, the image is not hi-res enough to see any specifics of the smaller parts, anyway.

Thank you for you reply and comment,
I had to reduce the res to have ASR post accept the image.

Anyone else have any comments about the circuit layout

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
It's impossible to implement hybrid volume control by 2 or 3 relays. It needs dozens of.:p
What you are talking about is relay based volume control, which is purely analog. Dozens is a bit exaggerated :), with 8 relays you can do 256 steps, which is more than enough.
What I call hybrid is using a very basic relay based volume control, 4 analog steps, allowing to have the DAC always in it's best S/N zone, while refining the volume setting with digital volume. For this, 2 dual relays are enough.

Last edited:

MPA1

The manual lists higher sample rates over ethernet than the listed specs on the website, what is true?
Lovely device btw!

OP
SpyB

SpyB

Not sure,what you mean/can you elaborate a bit more
in my comparison,the specs look the same.
Possibly I missed something

I stream from my NAS to PC > USB to DAC and it is irrelevant,if I choose DSD or any other format the output for
that format is at the correct sampling rate.DSD is my preferable format
And I could be wrong,although I think if you stream direct to a DAC with the Ethernet connection the sampling rates
of your file will not change.
I could not see in the manual separate sampling rates for Ethernet/Please correct me if I am wrong

From matrix website:
Digital Input
COAXIAL & OPTICAL PCM 16-24Bit /44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz DSD 2.8MHz (DoP) == (Manual Same)

IIS LVDS PCM 16-32Bit /44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz, 705.6kHz, 768kHz == (Manual Same)
DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz (DoP) DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz, 22.4MHz, 45MHz (Native) == (Manual Same)

USB Audio PCM 16-24Bit /44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz (Manual Same)
DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz (DoP) DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz (Native) == (Manual Same)

Cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MPA1

I stream from my NAS to PC > USB to DAC and it is irrelevant,if I choose DSD or any other format the output for
And I could be wrong,although I think if you stream direct to a DAC with the Ethernet connection the sampling rates
of your file will not change.
I could not see in the manual separate sampling rates for Ethernet/Please correct me if I am wrong

From matrix website:
Digital Input
COAXIAL & OPTICAL PCM 16-24Bit /44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz DSD 2.8MHz (DoP) == (Manual Same)

IIS LVDS PCM 16-32Bit /44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz, 705.6kHz, 768kHz == (Manual Same)
DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz (DoP) DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz, 22.4MHz, 45MHz (Native) == (Manual Same)

USB Audio PCM 16-24Bit /44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz (Manual Same)
DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz (DoP) DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz (Native) == (Manual Same)

Cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the manual is already corrected for the i2s difference when I mentioned it

but there are still differences with MA player dsd sample rates between (English) manual and website that haven’t been corrected.

5D453F1B-431C-43C1-9E4D-017907C4E15F.jpeg
6DAA9EDB-48B2-4487-83F7-E91F6BE5107D.jpeg

5D453F1B-431C-43C1-9E4D-017907C4E15F.jpeg6DAA9EDB-48B2-4487-83F7-E91F6BE5107D.jpeg

MPA1

And I could be wrong,although I think if you stream direct to a DAC with the Ethernet connection

sorry if I'm unclear but I'm talking about I2s and MAplayer max sample rates.
English manual said for i2s ppm 44.1-384, it should be 44.1-768 and for Maplayer dsd512 (22.4mhz) but website said dsd256 (11.2mhz)

English manual has been corrected for i2s this weekend after a PM with matrix audio.

still not sure what is correct for MAPlayer?! Do you have the Element I at home, and do you use Roon? what are the max sample rates as a Roon endpoint?

OP
SpyB

SpyB

Thank you for your reply,
I do not use Roon,

and I now see what you were indicating.

Matrix are not shipping just yet ,

So no, I do not have a Matrix i

I am in hope of a review here soon

(how about Matrix,PLEASE send a review sample to Amir)

Last edited:

Bliman

@amirm, any news about new devices from Matrix to review? M and P models perhaps arrived at your home....:facepalm::facepalm:
Oh yeah. I would find this great also. I would like to see a review of the Matrix M and i. That would be fantastic. I am hesitating between Oktoresearch stereo dac and also the Element M and i. If the i is great then I could use the rest of my money for room correction hard and software.

OP
SpyB

SpyB

Yeah !! Matrix do not be to slow or our interest could drift to the Okto Research.

It is who ever gets to the table first with their device for review /stands the best chance for

the most interest in a purchase.

I have to say that this forum and Amir's reviews hold a lot of weight in my

purchase decision.

So PLEASE!!!! Matrix let's get things moving/ I think you "Matrix Audio" like to be first #1

Last edited:
Top Bottom