• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Element i

OP
SpyB

SpyB

I am not a fan boy of any brand. So I didn't want to make this kind of comparisons. But you asked, so I answer:

For DACs, once they come to the bench of certain excellent performance, I doubt if they would have any audible difference. It is the functions and reliability that rule. That's why a professional product like RME ADI-2 DAC is so well-regarded by many.

Apart from being a bare-bones DAC, the most impressive additional function of Matrix Element-I is being a streamer and "Roon-ready."

But a 35 dollar Google chromecast audio would immediately turn the ADI-2 DAC into a Roon-ready streamer (That is what I am doing :D). So, for the price range of a grand, I would think ADI-2 DAC will still be a far better choice. It has way more useful functions than what Element-I can offer.

By the way, people can have different opinions. Why not let people have different views. I think there is no need to keep defending certain products? ;)

People can have any view they like,and I am certainly not defending any product.

And your suggestions here, make a lot of sense to me anyway,that is why I asked for them,

and the RME ADI-2 DAC is a very good DAC,and I will now take another look at it

Thank you for your reply

Bliman

This looks super impressive and I hope that it gets tested here soon.
Looks like the OktoResearch stereo dac and RME dac has some serious competition now.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Meh if it really costs $1,000. I've exptected it to be sub $500. Other than that thanks but no thanks. :)
I don't know of a quality DAC with streaming at $500.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
VS Element M, they use the same ES9028PRO chip, same remote control and I prefer the color black.

Could someone indicate the main differences with the M model?
It does not have MQA certificates, and the WLAN is only 2.4Ghz (only one antenna), it loses highest frequency level in the USB input, it has no microsd input and chassis is smaller..
Although it seems to use the same headphone amplification system.
In addition, the option of adding a quality external source plays in its favor. Anything else that stands out?
We lose audio quality or those gadgets equal 1000 dollars discount?
Exactly!
The only point you did not noticed is the ARM CPU of element i is dual core, M/X/P use quad core CPU in same model .

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
It's not fair to compare price of element i with a standalone DAC or DAC/AMP, not only because the steamer part costs more, the most important thing is the Android app, iOS app and the firmware of the product need to be maintained for very long time. It need more engineers working together than regular DACs.

Bliman

It's not fair to compare price of element i with a standalone DAC or DAC/AMP, not only because the steamer part costs more, the most important thing is the Android app, iOS app and the firmware of the product need to be maintained for very long time. It need more engineers working together than regular DACs.
The element M and the X-Sabre Pro MQA DAC are the same price. Wouldn't it be more wise to buy the better DAC and connect it to a streamer (which is low cost)? What benefit does element M have above theX-Sabre Pro MQA DAC+Streamer?

OP
SpyB

SpyB

Possibly,we might see a standalone DAC in the element series , Could be "Matrix element e" (Black finish) /no streaming,no app to maintain,

and a lower price point, for entry into the Matrix world

Last edited:

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi Mi Fu, the price is $990. It will appear in our website soon.
BTW, i love 米芾 too.

Hi, thanks for the info!

Will you send the Element-I for Amir to measure?

Also, is the Element-I fully integrated with Roon, i.e. all controls can be done on Roon apps? Will it be any down sampling or limitations on file formats, etc?

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Hi, thanks for the info!

Will you send the Element-I for Amir to measure?

Also, is the Element-I fully integrated with Roon, i.e. all controls can be done on Roon apps? Will it be any down sampling or limitations on file formats, etc?
I will, if Amir and his lovely pink panthers welcomes. :D

element i also roon ready, but we need time to pass certification by ROON Labs. The maximum sampling rate currently limited to PCM 384 and DSD 128, but it will be higher in the future by firmware update. (considering network transfer stability)

Veri

Master Contributor

element i also roon ready, but we need time to pass certification by ROON Labs. The maximum sampling rate currently limited to PCM 384 and DSD 128, but it will be higher in the future by firmware update. (considering network transfer stability)
@amirm would you be willing? :D

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

That is excellent!

Glad to know that you guys make some real effort to make it work with Roon. I look forward to seeing the measurements. Maybe the numbers can convince me! ;)

On another note, is there any plan for the Android / iOS app to support the new Amazon HD music? If yes, it can be a huge selling point.

JBNY

Yeah this looks to be great, I’m happy with the price point too. Under 1k for a great DAC with built in roon ready streaming is a win for me.

Bliman

I would like to know how much difference there is between this and the element M. I know that the M has PCM 768Khz and the i not. But for the rest they look pretty identical in specifications and measurements. I also don't know what the quad core does better then the dual core.

Veri

Master Contributor
I would like to know how much difference there is between this and the element M. I know that the M has PCM 768Khz and the i not. But for the rest they look pretty identical in specifications and measurements. I also don't know what the quad core does better then the dual core.
from @skipost-it's and @MatrixAudio previous posts
-Dual core instead of quad core ARM processor
-Not MQA certified
-WLAN is only 2.4Ghz (only one antenna)
-It loses 768Khz in the USB input (up to 384kHz on USB, 768kHz on I2S)
-It has no microsd input and chassis is smaller
-12V 1.5A switching psu instead of internal toroidal power supply
-Otherwise it seems to use the same dac, headphone amplification system etc

Top Bottom