• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA vs Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

30 Ounce

MQA filters are only applied on MQA files/music. It does not apply MQA filter on standard hi resolution material or regular 16 bit. It gives you the option of using 7 different filters though...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
MQA filters are only applied on MQA files/music. It does not apply MQA filter on standard hi resolution material or regular 16 bit. It gives you the option of using 7 different filters though...
When I tested the Mytek, it clipped on 0 dB non-MQA content. Explanation was that the pipeline to handle MQA was causing that problem. I don't know if it has since been fixed.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
When I tested the Mytek, it clipped on 0 dB non-MQA content. Explanation was that the pipeline to handle MQA was causing that problem. I don't know if it has since been fixed.

Amir, was the MQA filter disabled in the menu when you tested it? If not, it does not matter if you are playing mqa content or not. It is always on and will ruin everything.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, was the MQA filter disabled in the menu when you tested it? If not, it does not matter if you are playing mqa content or not. It is always on and will ruin everything.
It may have been. It has been a while.

30 Ounce

I should have been more specific, I was speaking of the Matrix Audio X-SABRE PRO MQA, not the Mytek.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Ok, so I sent the Matrix DAC back. But before doing so, I tried a few more blind tests, one being switching between the Mytek’s digital vs analog volume. Long story short, I was not able to discern the differences. Results: 9/20 correct, 12/20 correct, 11/20 correct.

Here is the wrinkle. My 11 year old boy switching the cables was kind of surprised. He told me going from Mytek to Matrix he could here the voices played through Mytek more bold and louder, kind of what my initial subjective impression.

So I am a little skeptical now. Can going through an intentional blind listening test, trying very hard to hear differences, make things harder to hear the real difference? I mean you want to be correct in your choice so much so that you stop hearing the difference? As a scientist, I am truly amazed what my son said. I think the stress and pressure of the blind test alone can skew things around. Anyway, I wish now that I did the blind test with my sons listening to the music, they would have lacked the stress and my kind of subjective bias.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When differences get very small, you are likely second guessing yourself. So it is possible that smallest impairments that are audible get ignored in blind tests. Then again, they are small enough to not matter. :)

And yes, having your son take the test would be a good lesson for them. I have done this with my son a number of times.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Ok, so I sent the Matrix DAC back. But before doing so, I tried a few more blind tests, one being switching between the Mytek’s digital vs analog volume. Long story short, I was not able to discern the differences. Results: 9/20 correct, 12/20 correct, 11/20 correct.

Here is the wrinkle. My 11 year old boy switching the cables was kind of surprised. He told me going from Mytek to Matrix he could here the voices played through Mytek more bold and louder, kind of what my initial subjective impression.

So I am a little skeptical now. Can going through an intentional blind listening test, trying very hard to hear differences, make things harder to hear the real difference? I mean you want to be correct in your choice so much so that you stop hearing the difference? As a scientist, I am truly amazed what my son said. I think the stress and pressure of the blind test alone can skew things around. Anyway, I wish now that I did the blind test with my sons listening to the music, they would have lacked the stress and my kind of subjective bias.

You should have set him do a blind test session too. The results would be interesting since he probably has a better high frequency range than you do.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Could you and your boy hear/see each other?

Ratatoskr

@gags11 have you had occasion to compare the optical in on your DAC+ to other inputs like USB? I owned a Brooklyn DAC+ for about 6 months using at my work desk with a multiple monitor setup, of which one of the monitors is a Samsung 28" TV with optical out.

I had a problem with the optical in sound quality of my DAC+ using the TV as source. It was not equal to the USB in. Sound on optical in was thin with a glare to the midrange and highs that made it unlistenable. At that time the only other DAC I had to compare was a Bifrost Multibit. Sound quality on the Bifrost was just as good on optical in as on USB. I sent my DAC+ back to Mytek for a bench test and they claimed there was no defect. I doubt they even listened to the unit. I just wound up using the Bifrost at my desk because I could enjoy the TV. I could not with the Brooklyn DAC+.

Edit: we are not talking subtle differences here which would require matching output levels. The Brooklyn DAC+ sounded like ass using optical in, confirmed by coworkers who listened to both the Brooklyn DAC+ and the Bifrost. I did not have a defective Sony TV as it sounded quite good using optical in on the Bifrost.

Listening to MQA on Tidal was never satisfying at that time because of repeated, intermittent drop outs. I wound up leaving Tidal for Qobuz and selling the DAC+. Just wondering if Mytek ever fixed the DAC+ so that sound quality is equal on all inputs.

Last edited:
OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Could you and your boy hear/see each other?

The dac and the wires were not visible from my listening position. But I also intentionally blindfolded miself and had headphones on during the change period.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
@gags11 have you had occasion to compare the optical in on your DAC+ to other inputs like USB? I owned a Brooklyn DAC+ for about 6 months using at my work desk with a multiple monitor setup, of which one of the monitors is a Samsung 28" TV with optical out.

I had a problem with the optical in sound quality of my DAC+ using the TV as source. It was not equal to the USB in. Sound on optical in was thin with a glare to the highs that made it unlistenable. At that time the only other DAC I had to compare was a Bifrost Multibit. Sound quality on the Bifrost was just as good on optical in as on USB. I sent my DAC+ back to Mytek for a bench test and they claimed there was no defect. I doubt they even listened to the unit. I just wound up using the Bifrost at my desk because I could enjoy the TV. I could not with the Brooklyn DAC+.

Listening to MQA on Tidal was never satisfying at that time because of repeated, intermittent drop outs. I would up leaving Tidal for Qobuz and selling the DAC+. Just wondering if Mytek ever fixed the DAC+ so that sound quality is equal on all inputs.

Sorry, I have not tried the optical input. The DAC is in my 2 channel system, so no need for it.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The dac and the wires were not visible from my listening position. But I also intentionally blindfolded miself and had headphones on during the change period.

:)

digicidal

Major Contributor
I know it's a bit off-topic @gags11 but do you have a write up on your modifications to the RF-7II's? It's not that I don't find the DAC testing interesting, I definitely do... but no matter how hard I try, I keep coming back to that side note in your OP. I am seeking professional help, but I'm a total speaker-slut at heart - and that concept has me salivating. :cool:

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
I know it's a bit off-topic @gags11 but do you have a write up on your modifications to the RF-7II's? It's not that I don't find the DAC testing interesting, I definitely do... but no matter how hard I try, I keep coming back to that side note in your OP. I am seeking professional help, but I'm a total speaker-slut at heart - and that concept has me salivating. :cool:

Haha, I do think the speakers make the biggest difference in the final sound reproduction. Having gone active with the RF7ii’s, there is no going back.

In my first mod with the speakers, I ripped out the internal crossover, replaced the horn compression drivers with Radian 650pb and added Fostex supertweeters. It was crossed at 1khz and 7.5khz. Had no complaints, but recently decided to take the next step, as I thought the horns were coloring the sound.

So I fitted the Scanspeak 12mu midrange driver instead of the horn. I was lucky to find a vintage Pioneer PT-R7a beryllium ribbon tweeters in mint condition, and using it as a tweeter now. Crossover now is at 300hz and 3khz.

I cannot be happier now. I have listened to 50-200k speakers for comparison, and I think my DIY Klipsch destroys them. They play more than 100db at my listening position with no compression whatsoever.

Here are pictures of my original mod and the recent one I did.

C34321E2-3047-4622-BA27-7304652CA818.jpeg
18F1AFB7-D96E-4945-B101-0BF7D7BE00D8.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
It is still a work in progress though. Need to make a nice enclosure for the Pioneer tweeters.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Very nice! What are you using for the active crossovers? I've always found the Klipsch towers to do little other than the low end well... and this appears to be a best of both worlds scenario. Cheers!

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Very nice! What are you using for the active crossovers? I've always found the Klipsch towers to do little other than the low end well... and this appears to be a best of both worlds scenario. Cheers!

I used to have a cheap Behringer, but now running Marchand Electronics XM44 3 way crossover. Huge difference with the Marchand in everything, soundstage, low and high end extension, and midrange.

The Klipsch cerametallic 10 inch woofers are a jewel. They are very efficient and dynamic, and with appropriate setup extend down to 20-30hz range. Truly full range, no need for subs.

Here is a pic of the electronics. Marchand is at the right lower end, ME logo

9300C90E-1E6F-498C-8357-4BB31F60B24A.jpeg

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Mr. Marchand can truly customize any crossover point or channel attenuation you need. And everything is based on modules you can put in and out.

Top Bottom