• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA: Best Audio DAC in the World?

jjk

Forum Donor
I have wondered about this question as well...gain/volume in a chain which is:
JRiver>>DAC>>Preamp>>Amp (yes, I need the preamp for MCH balanced switching)
Currently I operate JRiver at 100%, DAC on DAC mode and control volume at the PreAmp.
Thanks for any expertise.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Really interesting discussion about the intersample clipping.
It's a bit unclear to me how big a problem this is for the "at home audiophile". In other words, should a non-pro user worry about this at all?

Should we:
a) attenuate in the OS / playback software
b) run the DAC in PRE mode and change the DAC's volume to -3 dB
c) keep everything at full volume in the OS, playback software and DAC since this is not that big of a deal for non-pro users

Servus Traian,

I don't think when using sinewaves the issue will persist. We expect an owner of X-Sabre to do a similar test like Bob did on SBAF, but with sinewaves instead of squarewaves.

However, if squarewave testing concerns Matrix Audio, then I guess a future firmware will solve this "ringing" when feeding it with squares.

Raul.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It won't clip in 80% (perhaps) normal use cases. There can be some songs with extra high frequency energy that will clip.
This is inherent in the DAC chip. It's been discussed here. With inputs from MC from RME. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../help-explain-intersample-overs-please.11651/
Just back down volume by 3db you will mostly be fine.

80% won't means I will "reliably" running into clipping issue if I use it everyday for everything.

In this case why have a pure DAC mode if it's inferior to just set it to -3-5db?

bennetng

Major Contributor
It's a bit unclear to me how big a problem this is for the "at home audiophile". In other words, should a non-pro user worry about this at all?

Should we:
c) keep everything at full volume in the OS, playback software and DAC since this is not that big of a deal for non-pro users
Try the files here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...y-of-software-volume-control.5922/post-172865

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Should we:
'(a)' would fix the problem for all DACs.

Bamyasi

How much should we worry about digital volume attenuation in OS damaging sound, in that it’s no longer “bit perfect” audio being delivered to the DAC?

Coincidentally, the same question is being discussed in another thread on the forum right now but I cannot find which one at the moment...

Technically, the only way to fully preserve the recorded signal during playback is to reproduce it at fixed (full) level. Every time you touch the volume knob you ruin the recording, no matter where it is located: preamp, DAC, etc. In practice however, pretty much no one listens to recordings at fixed level anyway, at least not at home. So your question is rather pointless.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How much should we worry about digital volume attenuation in OS damaging sound, in that it’s no longer “bit perfect” audio being delivered to the DAC?

Considering that high end systems should be using some kind of DSP for EQ/room correction anyway I don't think the concept of 'bit perfect' is particularly useful as a theoretical ideal.

"Bit perfect" leaving your computer is a different issue if you need/want to avoid the OS's mixer and resampler.

Donnie2112

The Audiophiliac Daily Show just reviewed this. His subjective comments were positive. That may or may not be of interest to folks here. The interesting problem he did have was that he had trouble getting his review sample to play MQA from Tidal off of a Node 2i. Has anyone else had this problem?

JBNY

I have used it with roon and the tidal app on windows 10. No issues at all ever.

I think Steve is just technology challenged.

NDCN

Mr. Amir:
Thanks for all the work you put into your reviews. They are great.
Is it possible to see the coax SPDIF input performance of the X-Sabre Pro MQA as well as the USB input? As was done with the Topping D90 review?

General Forum:
Does anyone have any comment on the SUBJECTIVE sonic performance of the X-Sabre Pro MQA vs. the Topping D90 (or D90 MQA)?
(If your answer is 'you should not hear a difference', I mostly agree with you, but, please don't bother commenting.
Also, please limit comments to first-hand knowledge of said units, not hypotheticals.)

Thanks to everyone in advance.

joshuachew

After reading this review and a short discussion with Amirm, ordered the Matric Sabre X Pro for the second workstation/office at home.

Just arrived last week and the second workstation setup is complete.

20200529_231439.jpg
20200529_231432.jpg
20200531_003441.jpg
20200531_233800.jpg

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice to see another member here with the AK SP2000 DAP :) Loving mine for portable use as well. Nice SOTA setup BTW

IMG_1940.JPG

jjk

Forum Donor
I have a Sabre Pro (Silver/non-MQA) listed for sale in the Sale Forum.

virtuovice

Forum Donor
Sounds like Matrix Audio made a successful prototype of a dedicated streamer for use with the X Sabre Pro. Featuring a built-in linear power supply and I2S output ... stoked :)

To the Matrix Audio team: firstly, thank you. Second, can you tell us more please?

Novak

Sounds like Matrix Audio made a successful prototype of a dedicated streamer for use with the X Sabre Pro. Featuring a built-in linear power supply and I2S output ... stoked :)

To the Matrix Audio team: firstly, thank you. Second, can you tell us more please?

Is that information confirmed? Anyone knows?

Triumph_900

if confirmed I'll sell my Node 2i and immediately buy this streamer to match my X-Sabre Pro (that I love).

virtuovice

Forum Donor
Would have been nice to see a revised version of the Mini-i Pro 2S in black and silver with digital output including I2S to pair with the XSP. That would be ideal for the separates crowd and those of us that love the XSP but would like to add a streamer.

Looks like Gustard S16 is the best option so far.

Top Bottom