• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA: Best Audio DAC in the World?

signalpath

Forum Donor
each DAC output should have it's own buffer, otherwise the design is incorrect

Hmm. I wouldn't necessarily use the word "incorrect." It really depends on the output topology. There's a transformer-output DAC where the xfmr is hard wired to both RCA and XLR. The manual suggests using only one output, not both. In a case like this, I would personally rather see a straight wire dual output rather than a relay selection (etc), assuming the manual offers a caveat on output structure.

blodsbror

It's a dac. So shouldn't matter.

Does output impedance matter if you are using it as a preamp straight into an amp ?. My current amp (Denafrips Hyperion) doesn't list it's input impedance in its technical specifications. It only lists Gain (28dB). On that note, would it be worth experimenting with the output gain settings on the Sabre Pro ?

MPA1

Does output impedance matter if you are using it as a preamp straight into an amp ?. My current amp (Denafrips Hyperion) doesn't list it's input impedance in its technical specifications. It only lists Gain (28dB). On that note, would it be worth experimenting with the output gain settings on the Sabre Pro ?

I am curious about output impedance too.

Todesengel

I am curious about output impedance too.

Impedance matching is important but has seem to be properly designed for in the modern era so much so that it is not an issue consumers have to worry about much anymore. You want your DAC to have a very low output impedance and your amp to have a high input impedance. If proper impedance matching is not considered, you may see undesirable roll-off in the audio bandwidth and voltage loss. The typical rule of thumb is a 10x ratio between the amp and DAC/pre. Again, in most modern designs this is much higher- in my case I have a 1600:1 ratio.

It is also important to know the input sensitivity of your amplifier to make sure that the voltage output of the DAC can drive your amp properly. The input sensitivity of an amplifier is a measure of how many volts it takes to bring it to full power. Most consumer amplifiers today are fine when driven by a DAC output.

Last edited:

virtuovice

Forum Donor
Is the M-Link a 12V trigger?

Not able to get the M-Link (out) to work with 12V trigger (in) on amp. The M-Link does not turn the amp on.

@MatrixAudio Is there a reason why the M-Link is proprietary? Why not include a standard 12V trigger? Thank you.

Last edited:

MPA1

Impedance matching is important but has seem to be properly designed for in the modern era so much so that it is not an issue consumers have to worry about much anymore. You want your DAC to have a very low output impedance and your amp to have a high input impedance. If proper impedance matching is not considered, you may see undesirable roll-off in the audio bandwidth and voltage loss. The typical rule of thumb is a 10x ratio between the amp and DAC/pre. Again, in most modern designs this is much higher- in my case I have a 1600:1 ratio.

It is also important to know the input sensitivity of your amplifier to make sure that the voltage output of the DAC can drive your amp properly. The input sensitivity of an amplifier is a measure of how many volts it takes to bring it to full power. Most consumer amplifiers today are fine when driven by a DAC output.

thank you for taking the time to explain!:)
I would like to place in line attenuators between my XSP MQA and my monoblocks, but im not sure about the impedance?

MPA1

question asked (and answered) in Element I thread, about software volume control in Roon.

The volume control of X-SABRE Pro MQA and ROON volume control are separated, each of them can adjust volume indipendently.
Only when the device is ROON Ready, ROON software can control the hardware volume.
Hope this information is useful. Thank you!

@MatrixAudio I placed your answer to my question in the right thread, hope you don't mind?

@MatrixAudio isn't this driver dependable? for example exasound has managed to do this. is this something that could be added through a driver update?

Giulio

, [...]

As Per Rob Watts about Mojo upsampling:
"[...] This extensive filtering reduces
jitter sensitivity by a factor of 64, and allows the DAC to eliminate
noise floor modulation. Now this is a very important problem, as it
makes the DAC sound hard and less smooth and is a major problem with
DACs - all other DACs have very large noise floor modulation, Mojo has
zero measurable noise floor modulation (I have plots at home proving
this). This is a major reason why Mojo sounds so smooth and natural.”

Can we assume that every DAC having a linear behavior in the IMD vs output level test, has no noise floor modulation?

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
thank you for taking the time to explain!:)
I would like to place in line attenuators between my XSP MQA and my monoblocks, but im not sure about the impedance?

There's a handy reference here for what resistor values to use: https://www.goldpt.com/preattenuation.html (You can ignore the stuff about the stepped attenuator on that page if you just want to wire up a fixed in-line attenuator; basically your desired attenuation is what they refer to as "preattenuation".)

Veri

Master Contributor
hi guys,

Friend of mine want to buy an external i2s bridge (without extra clock) from pink faun (link below). The reason behind is to use DSD1024.

The question:

Is it worth to buy or is it only a marketing how to drug the money from wallet?

https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/bridg...h/compatible_i2s_dac_s-please_select_your_dac

Thank you
Does he have a powerful PC to upsample to DSD1024?

In any case, when using HQPlayer to upsample. HQPlayer's author @Miska had this to say over at audiophilestyle forum about DSD rates, when converting to DSD.

Generally, regardless of modulators, I would say;

DSD64 -> DSD128 is a huge step

DSD128 -> DSD256 is still a big step

DSD256 -> DSD512 is medium to small step

DSD512 -> DSD1024 is small step

misog

to Veri:

thx for replay.

He wants to build a new pc for this work and i believe a native DSD1024 is a trigger for him not upsample.

Regards Michal

Veri

Master Contributor
to Veri:

thx for replay.

He wants to build a new pc for this work and i believe a native DSD1024 is a trigger for him not upsample.

Regards Michal

Where does one even find native DSD1024 :D I don't think it exists!

misog

Veri,

i have confirmation that he owns some tracks 1024DSD size apx 3GB a song native (perhaps upsample dunno). Lets assume that he will use it in future and DSD1024 tracks will be more common than nowadays. Back to question: Is it worth to buy?

Thank you.

Regards Michal

Veri

Master Contributor
Veri,

i have confirmation that he owns some tracks 1024DSD size apx 3GB a song native (perhaps upsample dunno). Lets assume that he will use it in future and DSD1024 tracks will be more common than nowadays. Back to question: Is it worth to buy?

Thank you.

Regards Michal

The step from DSD512 to DSD1024 is according to Miska who is knowledgeable about DSD formats, very small.
If the extension card is 300+ euro, it is up to your friend to pay for DSD1024 over I2S.

But I would personally stick to the out of the box DSD512 for sure. It's more than good enough.

misog

Veri,

thank you for your opinion i will speak with friend and will let you know the outcome. Some persons are just stubborn you know :)

regards Michal

MPA1

There's a handy reference here for what resistor values to use: https://www.goldpt.com/preattenuation.html (You can ignore the stuff about the stepped attenuator on that page if you just want to wire up a fixed in-line attenuator; basically your desired attenuation is what they refer to as "preattenuation".)

Totally forgot about that site, THANKS!
i assume that with an input of 24kohm I should use the 25k resistor values?
cheers

SegaCD

I bet this has been answered before but I haven't been able to find it... Does Matrix Audio get regulatory approvals (i.e. FCC, CE) or do they not bother like most other chi-fi?

icenine

I'd really like to get my hands on this for a listen. Maybe I'll just have to buy one to find out.

Olesno

I am not sure if I'm allowed to do it here but I have one X-Sabre Pro MQA unit for sale (in black). The DAC is only few months old and in perfect condition. No issues of any kind. If you are interested, please pm me.

Top Bottom