• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA: Best Audio DAC in the World?

blodsbror

It's really tempting to stick one of these infront of a Benchmark AHB2 in preamp mode. Or would this combination, be so perfect, it's ultimately lifeless.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Yessss. When you want to use low value resistors for low noise, you need a much powerfull opamp, not OPA1612, OPA1642, etc...

Makes sense. https://hifiduino.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/es9018iv.png is a regular schematic for I/V.
I also found http://www.easyaudiokit.com/bekkan/manual/DAC9038DManual.pdf and here's a small paragraph translated via web:
"(ii) When used in current mode (part 1)
This is a pattern where voltage conversion is performed with a general IV amplifier and then differential synthesis is performed. IV Amplifier positive input side is grounded
Because it is connected to the IV amp, it will flow into the IV amplifier up to 130mA as described above. Resistance used for IV
In order to be able to withstand the power consumption of the current (47Ω R5, R12 in the figure),
I need resistance. Also, for the OP amplifier (U1, U2 in the figure) used for the IV amplifier, the output current must be 130mA or more.
It is necessary to make it a power type that can flow. It cannot be used with ordinary OP amplifiers. Discretype
Requires POWER-IV."

IV_for_ES9038.png

digicidal

Major Contributor
It's really tempting to stick one of these infront of a Benchmark AHB2 in preamp mode. Or would this combination, be so perfect, it's ultimately lifeless.
Despite not personally finding that to be likely at all (unless the source was mastered to be "lifeless") - I'm pretty sure a sufficient amount of your beverage/substance of choice would resolve any deficits. Your speakers and room make all of the sound you hear - so probably best not to listen too closely to those either. :)

blodsbror

If something is lifeless, it is your music. Just play something else. :)

Exactly . I guess with that combo, the notion of ™Source first, would come into play. Would something reasonably priced, like Bluesound Node 2i, be dragging potential sound quality down?

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Exactly . I guess with that combo, the notion of ™Source first, would come into play. Would something reasonably priced, like Bluesound Node 2i, be a dragging potential sound quality down?
Bluesound has digital outputs... so you wouldn't do the decoding there but in the DAC... so zero impact on the sound. If the Node 2i was used as the DAC instead... then it wouldn't (based on specs at least) be quite as transparent as this DAC... but unless they completely made up the specs it would still likely be measurably worse, but audibly indistinguishable in a blind test.

Last edited:

Makes sense. https://hifiduino.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/es9018iv.png is a regular schematic for I/V.
I also found http://www.easyaudiokit.com/bekkan/manual/DAC9038DManual.pdf and here's a small paragraph translated via web:
"(ii) When used in current mode (part 1)
This is a pattern where voltage conversion is performed with a general IV amplifier and then differential synthesis is performed. IV Amplifier positive input side is grounded
Because it is connected to the IV amp, it will flow into the IV amplifier up to 130mA as described above. Resistance used for IV
In order to be able to withstand the power consumption of the current (47Ω R5, R12 in the figure),
I need resistance. Also, for the OP amplifier (U1, U2 in the figure) used for the IV amplifier, the output current must be 130mA or more.
It is necessary to make it a power type that can flow. It cannot be used with ordinary OP amplifiers. Discretype
Requires POWER-IV."

Probably the best solution is a composite amplifier like LME49720(or AD797)+LME49600 for I/V stage and OPA1642+LME49600 for LPF and output buffer. With these combos there is speed and power.

blodsbror

Bluesound has digital outputs... so you wouldn't do the decoding there but in the DAC... so zero impact on the sound.

Right, however are all digital output stages created equally? Or are there levels of implementation that audibly effect sound quality? I have no idea!

digicidal

Major Contributor
Right, however are all digital output stages created equally? Or are there levels of implementation that audibly effect sound quality? I have no idea!

The signal (while digital) is the data... it's just 0's and 1's - so no. Are there implementations that are so poor that they can't reliably transmit a PCM datastream? Remotely possible, but that's a failed product by definition and not something from any decent engineering firm. You might want to read this thread... and several others on here. It's a process.

gvl

Major Contributor
Nope, OPA551 is simply not recommended for such application, nor I/V stage, nor LPF. OPA1622 is a recommended opamp, so again...I'm puzzled.

I read there's lots of current from 9038pro when channels are paralleled, so a beefier opamp in the IV may be needed.

w1000i

Forum Donor
That seems to make no sense whatsoever. Can you explain this directly, without a handwave or analogy?
They upsample the music ( changing the music file ) before playing it. Maybe the analog section is not perfect or the best as per amirm measurement.

As Per Rob Watts about Mojo upsampling:
“Yes all my DAC’s up-sample to 2048 times that is at least 16 times
more than typical. What does this do? Well its not just about up-
sampling but filtering out the RF noise that is present on a digital
signal. Its essential to do this, as it gets you closer to the original
analogue signal in the ADC (and this is the DAC’s job to recover the
analogue signal not the digital data). This extensive filtering reduces
jitter sensitivity by a factor of 64, and allows the DAC to eliminate
noise floor modulation. Now this is a very important problem, as it
makes the DAC sound hard and less smooth and is a major problem with
DACs - all other DACs have very large noise floor modulation, Mojo has
zero measurable noise floor modulation (I have plots at home proving
this). This is a major reason why Mojo sounds so smooth and natural.”

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

That's my favorite part...

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They upsample the music ( changing the music file ) before playing it. Maybe the analog section is not perfect or the best as per amirm measurement.

So he has discovered upsampling to do digital filtering? Maybe after reading the original Philips papers from the 1980s...? :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

So absolutely measurable, contrary to what you posted.

It's painful to see someone who knows better (like Watts) spew this kind of nonsense, but I guess you do what you have to do in that market to extract dollars from the gullible.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It's painful to see someone who knows better (like Watts) spew this kind of nonsense, but I guess you do what you have to do in that market to extract dollars from the gullible.
I think this is the painful truth.
In a market where BS and glitter have been so spectacularly successful a proper, truthful, engineering approach is susceptible to being attacked by ignorant but convinced enthusiasts like we have seen on the totaldac review and other earlier ones.
Producing an exceptional product is not enough in the market as it is nowadays, it has to be accompanied by the current approved buzz phrases to convince the self-appointed prophets and give them something to quote.

w1000i

Forum Donor

End of they day I'm not an expert but I still have to believe a 30 years DAC designer. And I don't see it difficult to believe that some different approach to up sampling will change the sound. his latest upsampler Hugo Mscaler if connect it to any DAC you will hear something almost everybody will like ( Which is only Digital to Digital ). And I will be interested to see how DAC will measure with/out M scaler considering sound change.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
End of they day I'm not an expert but I still have to believe a 30 years DAC designer. And I don't see it difficult to believe that some different approach to up sampling will change the sound. his latest upsampler Hugo Mscaler if connect it to any DAC you will hear something almost everybody will like ( Which is only Digital to Digital ). And I will be interested to see how DAC will measure with/out M scaler considering sound change.
So the wonderful Chord DACs (I do think they're not rubbish, just overhyped and overpriced) need another £3.5k box to work at their best? Where does this absurdity stop?

w1000i

Forum Donor
So the wonderful Chord DACs (I do think they're not rubbish, just overhyped and overpriced) need another £3.5k box to work at their best? Where does this absurdity stop?
Unfortunately yes and it is overpriced but end of the day it sound better ( Significantly better like you listen to new version of the song) that my experience with it and even though I will not buy it even and rather invest in a better speaker for example. The point is upsampling will improve the sound and some approach seems better.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Upsampling can’t improve the sound.
Keith

Top Bottom