• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 Measurements (DAC & Streamer)

piaseczek

Internals of the x sabre 3. Very similar to x sabre pro, unfortunately clocks for FPGA are no longer top crystek 957s - synchronous mode probably measures worse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230709_120540_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20230709_120540_Firefox.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 71
  • open_big.jpg
    open_big.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 63

officialsm

You could not get a CCHD957 with 100MHz. ;) The installed CCHD950 has a 25PPM, so TOP of the list.

Maybe could be swapped 950 for 957 do-it-yourself -> do you think will ear improvements?

Giacomo

Matrix Element S Streamer with Matrix X Sabre 3 (only DAC working Synk mode) wirere them by port IIS LVDS can do better than the X Sabre 3 alone (DAC/Streamer)?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Matrix Element S Streamer with Matrix X Sabre 3 (only DAC working Synk mode) wirere them by port IIS LVDS can do better than the X Sabre 3 alone (DAC/Streamer)?
This is what I call a huge waste of $$$$. The X-Sabre 3 is already stellar so having an element S before it makes zero sense. The element S is meant to be used with an stand alone DAC like a Topping D90 III Sabre or something else, not with another streamer acting as a DAC.

Giacomo

This is what I call a huge waste of $$$$. The X-Sabre 3 is already stellar so having an element S before it makes zero sense. The element S is meant to be used with an stand alone DAC like a Topping D90 III Sabre or something else, not with another streamer acting as a DAC.
Thanks

scottm_dj

So to clarify a few things with the X-Sabre 3: it's top is glass so the internal wireless antenna will work and not have unsightly antennas on the back. Also, this is not the model if you want a bunch of features--this device is simply built for performance with very few frills other than the newest connection method i2s. You can find the headphone amplifier, HDMI ARC, Analog in, other niceties in their different lines. It doesn't even have a way to connect external drives as there's no USB C port! Even the tiny display is likely so there's minimal interference from any of that circuitry. This model is built to stream hi-res audio services like Qobuz 24/192 at top quality. Period.

If you're like me and you're confused about MA's wide array of products...with the help of their technical support we came up with a little "Matrix of Matrix products" that may help you out. This will show you what each current model has and has not implemented to best decide what's best for your needs. Note that the XS3 is the oldest model in the line and the mini 4 Pro is the newest, but that's certainly not the whole picture.

Element series:

I2:
Yes: Std 4-ch Bal HP, Enh CPU, Enh Clock, i2s, 9038Q2M chip, digital vol
No: ARC, Analog in, isolation design, trigger

M2:
Yes: Std 4-ch Bal HP, Enh CPU, Enh Clock, ARC, i2s, 9028Pro chip, digital vol, isolation design, trigger
No: Analog in

X2:
Yes: Enh CPU, Enh 8-ch Bal. HP, Enh Clock, ARC, i2s, Analog in, Sabre 9038Pro chip, array of relay vol, +10dB gain, isolation design, trigger
No:

X2 Pure:
Yes: New toroidal transformer, Dual 9039PRO chip, Enh analog stage, (Other main specs are same as X2)
No: Headphone amp,

-----------------------

Mini-I 4 Pro (Newest):
Yes: Super Enh CPU, Std 4-ch Bal HP, ARC, Analog in, Std Clock, New 9039Q2M chip
No: i2s, LPS

Mini-I 4:
No: HP jack, WI-FI, remote

-----------------------

X-Sabre3 (Best-sounding unit of all MA?)
Yes: Enh CPU, Enh Clock, i2s, 9038Pro Chip, trigger, isolated power/digital/analog, CNC aluminum case
No: ARC, HP Jack, USB local drives, Analog in

X-Sabre is all about the SQ vs the features

----------------------
4-ch Bal HP means 4 independent amplification unit for left and right channel
8-ch Bal HP means 8 independent amplification unit for left and right channel

Last edited:
Top Bottom