• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 Review (Streamer & DAC)

maniolo

This surprises me a bit because I had the idea that it is the application that manages access to the server, it then only sends the audio stream to the streamer.

Currently, I have a shd minidsp recently, I have not yet tested dirac, this remains the only reason why I do not lean towards this small box ... remains to be seen if the acoustic correction with DSP really brings a more ... and especially if I manage to use it correctly!

mash

There are so many combinations of hardware/software/features in streaming/DAC components these days that picking the right one is all about understanding your requirements, mapping the options, and understanding the relative value/performance.

I have one of these units and like it a lot. I use it as a Roon streamer in my Living Room feeding a Marantz AVR. The combination of a no fuss certified RAAT implementation, solid DAC performance, and a high WAF factor makes for good value (note - I got mine over Christmas for $800 using a general 10% ebay coupon). I use the DSP room correction on my Marantz, so that's not a feature that I really need and having a single box solution with good fit/finish and fairly bullet proof operation was important in that setting.......hence good value

In my office, I run a RPi streamer feeding a D90 to perform a similar function. For that room (where value/performance are the main drivers), I didn't consider the Mini-i and I am happy that I took a different approach.

A few other comments.....

Streaming support: RAAT, Bluetooth and Airplay are implemented via firmware and seems to be very solid. The Mini does not use/support the Matrix Player software (used in the element series) that has a lot of additional features....and also seems to have a lot of bugs.

Matrix originally made comments that they would consider support for Spotify Connect across their entire streaming product line. Of late, they have said that its doubtful that it will be added to the Mini-i 3 due to the lack of processing power in the box (see Matrix Audio support forum). Note that there is always Airplay or Bluetooth as an option for Spotify streaming.

Sonic-Wall

As a non Roon user how can you stream lossless music on the Matrix Min-i 3?
That‘s exactly the issue I was referring to earlier- if MA does not deliver against their promises you are screwed.
Hence you are either forced to get a Roon subscription or your device gets downgraded to a simple DAC.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
[QUOTE = "enricoclaudio, post: 726688, membre: 24637"] Le Mini-i Pro 3 n'est pas DLNA car il a la puce MA Lite, ce qui signifie également qu'il ne prend pas en charge l'application MA . La cible de cet appareil est les clients de Roon, aussi simple que cela. Avec Roon, vous bénéficiez d'une assistance pour NAS, Tidal et Quobuz. Le Mini-i Pro 3 prend également en charge Airplay 2. En ce qui concerne la façon dont il gère les écouteurs, consultez la critique de Z Reviews.
[/ QUOTE]

Is that mean that we can't use an app like ‎mconnect Player HD?

That's correct. No support for mConnect HD app as mConnect works with DNLA protocol. I use mConnect HD app with my ARCAM ST60. The Mini-i Pro 3 is NOT an universal streamer. It's basically a headphone amp/DAC with Roon and Airplay 2 streaming capabilities.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
That‘s exactly the issue I was referring to earlier- if MA does not deliver against their promises you are screwed.
Hence you are either forced to get a Roon subscription or your device gets downgraded to a simple DAC.

You can't, simply as that. You need Roon to stream lossless to the mini-i Pro 3. If you want DLNA then you have to go with the Element-i, which BTW has a lesser DAC compared to the mini-i Pro 3 but you get DLNA and MA Player app.

https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/417.html

Reactions: GDK

SunnyRehde

Forum Donor
Don‘t forget, you could still feed the Mini-i via USB (source: notebook, Mac mini, ...any kind of mini-pc) for lossless. Of course, as being said before, there would be cheaper alternatives then.

Last edited:

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
According to Jason Stoddard, USB C is now at a price where it makes sense to be incorporated into dacs etc. Hel 2 has 2 USB C inputs.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow, another beauty from Matrix. If my RME ever craps out, these guys will be in the back of my head as the top replacement. Thanks to the owner for bringing this to us!

catalogguy

Forum Donor
Just do it. You could photshop him in strange places, like in a speaker port or scaled really tiny so everyone has to look hard to find the panther. Or really huge. The possibilities are endless.

Like finding the bunny on the cover?

catalogguy

Forum Donor
Would this support the application I have in mind ... Roon endpoint over wifi, TV connected with optical, infrared remote capable of volume control and source selection (so Harmony activity to "Watch TV" turns on streamer and TV), RCA output to subwoofer, XLR output to amp, and-and-and USB-C outputting 5 volts when unit is powered on to connect to amp trigger input?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you really think folks bought this device without a Roon sub, anticipating future support for Spotify connect?

JRiggs

NoSnakeOil2

I use my RME ADI-2 DAC FS in combination with the Bluesound NODE 2i and that's the perfect team for me.
All wishes are fulfilled except for balanced headphone output, that I don't need.
i"m curious, did you notice a big difference between the Bluesound's internal DAC and the ADI-2? (I have the Node 2i and think it's sound is good, but not spectacular.) Are there other features you really like on the ADI-2? Thanks

mermayer

did you notice a big difference between the Bluesound's internal DAC and the ADI-2?
The Node 2i DAC is good, but the RME ADI-2 DAC FS is better and more professional.
Please never activate the tone control on the Node 2i. It sounds awful.

Are there other features you really like on the ADI-2?
I love the following:
- the hi power headpone output
- the 5-band Parametric EQ (+ bass and treble), all filters are highly configurable
- the configurable loudness function
- the remote control
and... the super nice display.

Sonic-Wall

The features which I like by far the most with my RME ADI-2 Pro FSR BE are the ADC along with the various digital in-/outputs which enable:
- equalizing and recording of analog and digital sources
- acoustic room correction leveraging the internal DSP
- digital to digital conversion (e.g. AES to SPDIF)
- de-jittering of digital input signals in combination with the internal sample rate converter for up- and downsampling
Most devices in this huge DAC review list cannot do this.

I think there are other important things besides THD+N and SINAD which are usually not mentioned in the reviews but make a BIG difference in usability of the device!

MatrixAudio

Audio Company

Sonic-Wall

NO. We have no plan to integrate Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect to current product line. Sorry.
Thanks for the clear statement!
Actually I thought you guys will eventually meet all my streaming requirements but now I need to hope for Auralic and Co ;-)

Top Bottom