• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 Review (Streamer & DAC)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Mini-i Pro 3 reviewed in Hi-Fi News this month. The first occasion to have a look at the full board :
View attachment 179805
Something I don't get is why this does have MA Player chip inside... but does not support MA Player... Any thoughts, @MatrixAudio ?

Surprisingly, it got a raving review. Most likely a very common thing, but not that usual from the subjectivist press when talking about good measuring Chinese products.:p

The chip is the MA Player "LITE", not the MA Player and that's why it does not support the MA Player app.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its a crippled version of the i, m and x wrt the player.
They wanted a clear deliniation of products and this will stream roon but not dlna where as the remaining elements will do both

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Its a crippled version of the i, m and x wrt the player.
They wanted a clear deliniation of products and this will stream roon but not dlna where as the remaining elements will do both

Not so sure about that. My MA X-SABRE 3 comes with the MA Player Lite chip and it does DLNA, Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect as well. Pretty sure the mini-i Pro 3 can do DLNA but they decided to not implement it so like you said, make a clear delineation between products.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not so sure about that. My MA X-SABRE 3 comes with the MA Player Lite chip and it does DLNA, Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect as well. Pretty sure the mini-i Pro 3 can do DLNA but they decided to not implement it so like you said, make a clear delineation between products.
Thats what "crippled" meant. Sorry its not clear.
They cripple them so there is product delineation + they can use the same internal products across their line when possible and keep costs down

dan_uk

I've just got a Mini-i to use with Roon and first impressions are, it sounds amazing, very happy with sound quality.

However, often when playing via Roon it will just stop mid album, has anyone else had this issue? If I check the Roon UI it says it's stopped too. I click play and it just carries on for another hour or two and then happens again.

Thanks

capitanharlock

I would check your network connection.
Unfortunately the wifi connection of the Mini is very weak, so I suggest you to use powerlan or a cable if you are not very close to your access point.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I would post your issues at Room Community Forum as Room staff could check with you what is causing this. My mini-i Pro 3 never had lost sync with Roon. My MA mini-i Pro 3 and MA X-SABRE 3 are connected via ethernet so if yours is connected wifi, that could be the cause of the issue.

dan_uk

I would post your issues at Room Community Forum as Room staff could check with you what is causing this. My mini-i Pro 3 never had lost sync with Roon. My MA mini-i Pro 3 and MA X-SABRE 3 are connected via ethernet so if yours is connected wifi, that could be the cause of the issue.
I'm cabled in... I might run a ping test constantly and see if it drops off the network.

capitanharlock

How is the Roon core connected? Are you using the Core from some other endpoint?
Never had an Issue with my Mini I-3 when cabled.

catalogguy

Forum Donor
I have used the Mini i-3 over wifi with no problems. For a complicated piece of equipment, it has been pretty easy to live with.

dan_uk

How is the Roon core connected? Are you using the Core from some other endpoint?
Never had an Issue with my Mini I-3 when cabled.
My core is cabled in too, everything is cabled, no WiFi.

I had a Allo USB player before MA and that never had the issue.

I've created in on the Roon community site, will hassle them on there.

dan_uk

Update - I think I've fixed the issue. This morning I discovered the 'update firmware option in the MA settings. I ran this, updated the firmware and the problem hasn't happened all day (approx 6 hours ish). The problem used to happen at least every 2 hours so hopefully..... the problem is fixed :)

Update 2 - Left it running over night continuously and no issues, happy days!

Last edited:

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could someone enlighten me a little.
I have no experience with Roon and so on.
I would like to have a device that can stream, and have a full-fledged parametric equalizer + HP Amp.
Am I right here?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Could someone enlighten me a little.
I have no experience with Roon and so on.
I would like to have a device that can stream, and have a full-fledged parametric equalizer + HP Amp.
Am I right here?

The mini i 3 is a roon endpoint. So you will need a Roon core to run the software. If you do that you will have all the EQ settings you could ever need.

Without roon you are limited to airplay.

If all you need is a roon endpoint, there are cheaper options

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I need a DAC + HP Amp. + streaming function and parametric equalizer.
Do you got an idea ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I need a DAC + HP Amp. + streaming function and parametric equalizer.
Do you got an idea ?
I don't think there is one box that will do all that. This device and others will do the first 3 but not the PEQ. Devices like the rme adi 2 dac will do the last 3 but not the streaming and so need hooking up to either a computer, raspberry pi or dedicated streaming box.

Personally I'd get the rme and figure out the low cost option for getting the streaming into it (a pi)

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So is Tidal + Roon a problem on the Pro 3?
tidal works with roon
Tidal works with the pro 3.
In theory, both should work. I only say in theory because i dont know since i dont use tidal but it is advertised as working with both roon & the mini (without roon)

Top Bottom