• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 Review (Streamer & DAC)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Phoney

So I recieved this unit. There's 1 problem, I connected to wifi on a different floor. While it found the internet, it didn't really respond. I then tried it around 1 metre away from the router, and while it connected it said 1 out of 3 connection and when I tried to stream via Roon, it just kept skipping every song while telling me there might be a problem with the connection. I had it updated to latest firmware and Roon was recently installed on that specific PC (meaning I didn't change any settings, but I logged into my older Roon account that I had setup before if that matters). Strange thing is, when I used my phone network instead, it worked as normal when my phone was right beside the unit (2 out of 3 connection). When I moved my phone away just 50cm from the device, the connection changed to 1 out of 3 but was still playing fine (with minor lags at the moment when I moved my phone). I know that the wifi on this unit is not as good as a PC or a phone, but it can't be this bad usually right? Any suggestions?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@ericisright @VintageFlanker
Hi, the D0 firmware update for mini-i Pro 3 improves the system stability.
Thanks. But that doesn't answer my initial question at all...:rolleyes: Will the Mini-i 3 Pro come with volume acceleration at last, or not? That is an highly frustrating situation, where the manufacturer says "Yes, we could do it" (correction : you really should have in the first place) and nothing comes 14 months after that.

zerogun

@MatrixAudio hey guys, glad I found this thread. I've owned the mini-i Pro 3 since August 22'. I recently expanded my listening to Spotify, and when I listen with the mini-i Pro 3, I experience frequent/constant stutter/clipping with every track I listen to. Would you be aware of any known issues that could be causing this? This happens with Apple Music also.

It does not happen with other services like Tidal, or Roon (local files and streaming). I have the latest firmware (updated today Dec 2nd, 22), and I use a M1 Macbook Pro 2021 model.

mash

I've had my mini-i 3 pro for a couple of years (since introduction) and use it fairly regularly. 98% of what I listen to on my mini-i has been via Roon (hard wired lan connection) and I've never had any issues with playback. I've also done some listening via Bluetooth with the source being about 20' away from the unit. For this scenario, I initially tried LDAC but found that connection to be unreliable (drop outs) and ended up switching to regular Bluetooth...which worked fine.

Here's the link to the support thread in the Matrix Audio sponsored community. They are actually pretty good about answering questions and or providing help. You can also use it to see if others are having similar issues.

dan_uk

@MatrixAudio hey guys, glad I found this thread. I've owned the mini-i Pro 3 since August 22'. I recently expanded my listening to Spotify, and when I listen with the mini-i Pro 3, I experience frequent/constant stutter/clipping with every track I listen to. Would you be aware of any known issues that could be causing this? This happens with Apple Music also.

It does not happen with other services like Tidal, or Roon (local files and streaming). I have the latest firmware (updated today Dec 2nd, 22), and I use a M1 Macbook Pro 2021 model.
I had sudden stops via Roon with mine, however firmware update resolved it.... Sorry that the info doesn't help you much.

zerogun

I've had my mini-i 3 pro for a couple of years (since introduction) and use it fairly regularly. 98% of what I listen to on my mini-i has been via Roon (hard wired lan connection) and I've never had any issues with playback. I've also done some listening via Bluetooth with the source being about 20' away from the unit. For this scenario, I initially tried LDAC but found that connection to be unreliable (drop outs) and ended up switching to regular Bluetooth...which worked fine.

Here's the link to the support thread in the Matrix Audio sponsored community. They are actually pretty good about answering questions and or providing help. You can also use it to see if others are having similar issues.

thanks I'll check out that thread too. Though I'm not entirely sure it's the mini-i pro 3's fault...listening to Roon or YouTube, doesn't encounter the clipping/stuttering. Only seems to happen with Apple Music and Spotify. Could it be that the mini-i pro 3 can't/doesn't process the Dolby Atmos?

Redwine

Is there any alternatives to this today with similar/better specs? - and still including Roon streaming option?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Is there any alternatives to this today with similar/better specs? - and still including Roon streaming option?

If price is not a deal breaker, then look at the New Element 2 series (X2, M2 and i2) of streamers.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Take a look at zidoo's neo s. It will give the element a run for its money . It includes a whole plethora of additional features ... that may or may not be important to you
I currently use it with roon and jriver. Their own internal app is pretty slick as it has come a long way.

VariousArtists

0565CE80-C495-41CF-AD46-94F97951AE15.jpeg
Apparently there is another OTA firmware release D113B8, does anyone know what’s new? @MatrixAudio

Update: looks like they have finally implemented volume acceleration

Last edited:

William77

Hello, i have one problem. i connected it to 220v but the button was changed to 115v so now its not turning on . is any wat to fix this problem? and if yes, please tell me how to dissasembly this small guy, thanks.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Hello, i have one problem. i connected it to 220v but the button was changed to 115v so now its not turning on . is any wat to fix this problem? and if yes, please tell me how to dissasembly this small guy, thanks.
Most likely the fuse is blown. I would contact @MatrixAudio directly and ask them for troubleshooting steps.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Top Bottom