• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 Review (Streamer & DAC)

Nikan

MatrixAudio​

You plan to add support Google Chromecast by a future firmware update?

MCH

Major Contributor
Dear @VintageFlanker ,
Thanks for your detailed measurements and feedback.
According to our speculation, it may because the 2.1vrms is a little bit higher, which causes the ADC produced a significant distortion. If you reduce it to 1.8vrms, would it be better?
We will do more tests regarding this issue, if it is a bug, we will make some improvement by a future firmware update.
Anyway, really appreciated to your feedback!
It is a quite unique feature of your device and i am sure a relevant selling point. I believe it is in your interest to see what is going on and report back. Thanks :)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you reduce it to 1.8vrms, would it be better?
I sent the D90SE back, so I still have to get another (transparent) DAC with variable output to test it. No doubt I will try lower output and see if the IMD clipping is gone.
Anyway, really appreciated to your feedback!
You welcome. Many thanks as well for responding!:)

lordearl

It is a quite unique feature of your device and i am sure a relevant selling point. I believe it is in your interest to see what is going on and report back. Thanks :)
Absolutely @MatrixAudio - you are to be commended for pushing the boundaries, adding the linestage here was very smart. Any chance of making it a unity gain buffer on the next edition?

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Absolutely @MatrixAudio - you are to be commended for pushing the boundaries, adding the linestage here was very smart. Any chance of making it a unity gain buffer on the next edition?
Do you mean the input gain or attenuation to the line input channel?
Please see the following screenshot:
线路输入增益_en.png

Am I understand correctly?

lordearl

@lordearl, why don't you just use S/PDIF to connect your player? The Mini-i 3 outperforms vast majority of CD players (if not any) out there, when it comes to DAC's performance.;)
Oh sorry I mean as a unit for switching between various sources, I was planning to use the mini-i 3 pro as a preamp as well. Eg with a DAP that has no digital signal out or a cd player (point taken coax or optical would be fine).

What about something like the Denon Heos Link2:

Not sure it supports Qobuz but surely the analogue line in is engineered in a more orthodox fashion?

j^j=e^-pi/2

Mine locked up after firmware install. Does not get past splash screen.

Edit: Update. reset to factory firmware and retried. Now works fine.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
There is new firmware for X-SABRE 3 as well. Build 048 but there is no info about it in @MatrixAudio website. Would be great to get the changelog to know what they are fixing in this new firmware.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
There is new firmware for X-SABRE 3 as well. Build 048 but there is no info about it in @MatrixAudio website. Would be great to get the changelog to know what they are fixing in this new firmware.
Dear Enrico,
The firmware 048 also fixes the start up issue under rare cases, most of the customer would not meet the issue.

D

Deleted member 48086

Besides from the measurements did anyone compare this DAC to a ADI-2 DAC FS in practice and also listening tests ? They both look like amazing options.

I really like the design and display of the Matrix but all these sophisticated engineering and the functionalities ive read about the ADI impress me aswell.

lordhumungous

Besides from the measurements did anyone compare this DAC to a ADI-2 DAC FS in practice and also listening tests ? They both look like amazing options.

I really like the design and display of the Matrix but all these sophisticated engineering and the functionalities ive read about the ADI impress me aswell.
In my subjective listening tests , i preferred the RME ,maybe because there are a multitude of ways to tweak the sound.

Phoney

Hey! I was thinking of using this as a dac for the Topping A30 Pro. Will I get the full power output from this? From my understanding, the output impedance is not going to be an issue when using an external amp, and I will achieve complete transparency using this combo?

"I adjusted the volume down 0.5 dB to get 4 volts out"

Do I have to do this? And if so, how?

Top Bottom