• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 Review (Streamer & DAC)

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I also think Amazon unlimited, Qobuz...?!
Everything that works with Roon will work with the mini i3 pro (non pro doesn't do Mqa) . Qobuz, tidal , local files work with every roon endpoint.

Amazon, Apple music, Spotify don't work with Roon.

You will be limited to airplay if you want to stream those

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Both do !!

I use Mini-i Pro 3/Roon/Tidal just everyday for the last 9 months, and this is not working "in theory"...;)
it is in theory to me because , as stated, i have not used it, therefore i can not state anything other than "in theory". Unless, of course, i want to lie or mislead;)

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, I can enter my beloved Oratory parameters without limits?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, I can enter my beloved Oratory parameters without limits?

Via what? With roon or other computer based player software , yes . Via hardware based Eq , (like on the rme ) limited bands to do that .

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With Roon. I need 12 band paramedic EQ
Yes, not sure what the max no of bands in roon is but it's way above 12.

Roon plus tidal or qobuz plus matrix gets you where you need but roon is expensive ($100 plus a year )

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Yes, not sure what the max no of bands in roon is but it's way above 12.

Roon plus tidal or qobuz plus matrix gets you where you need but roon is expensive ($100 plus a year )

Expensive is relative. Rasberry pi solutions that work with tidal and qobuz cost money as well. Audirvana is subscription based and not much cheaper.

Free software that comes with streamers just covers the basics.

But Roon is not even 10$ a month. If you pay already for Qobuz , Tidal, Netflix, Disney , apple TV it's not such a big deal

Bow_Wazoo

Damn it. I just read that the Pro 3 has 22ohm impedance at the balanced output. that's not ideal for my Lcd5 with 16Ohm impedance...

Veri

Master Contributor
Damn it. I just read that the Pro 3 has 22ohm impedance at the balanced output. that's not ideal for my Lcd5 with 16Ohm impedance...
Just about every single planar has a flat impedance curve so it doesn't respond to output impedance with frequency response changes.
Worst that could happen is that it runs out of juice. But traditional impedance matching is not something you need to worry about w/ planar magnetic headphones.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I don't think there is one box that will do all that. This device and others will do the first 3 but not the PEQ. Devices like the rme adi 2 dac will do the last 3 but not the streaming and so need hooking up to either a computer, raspberry pi or dedicated streaming box.

Personally I'd get the rme and figure out the low cost option for getting the streaming into it (a pi)

Yes, there is: miniDSP SHD + a headphone amp :)

From Matrix Audio there are not devices with EQ capabilities unless you have a Roon license.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
So is Tidal + Roon a problem on the Pro 3?

I have TIDAL + Qobuz with Roon and have ZERO issues. TIDAL and Qobuz are the only 2 streaming services supported by Roon so there is fully integration.

Bow_Wazoo

@MatrixAudio

I wonder what the background is that the output impedance is so high.
The engineer must have had something in mind, after all, he has a significant influence on the circuit and the components used?!

Snoopy

Major Contributor
@MatrixAudio

I wonder what the background is that the output impedance is so high.
The engineer must have had something in mind, after all, he has a significant influence on the circuit and the components used?!

The amp in the mini 3 pro isn't that powerful anyway.
You are probably better off using another headphone amp with it or look for something else as roon endpoint.

That could be a Mac mini or intel nuc that is running headless as core. Or you get a argon solo or rasberry pi as roon endpoint if you want the core to run somewhere else.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The amp in the mini 3 pro isn't that powerful anyway.
Excuse me? o_O
Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 jitter Measurements balanced max 300 ohm headphone amplifier output.png
Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 jitter Measurements balanced max 32 ohm headphone amplifier output.png

Top Bottom