• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Mini-i 3 and Mini-i Pro 3

Veri

Master Contributor
It is worth making the point that in relation to the excellent musical performance and high quality technology, MQA Encoding for those who appreciate it (apart from the ongoing ROON Certification issue), is a fair and reasonable price.

Certainly considering the 1,000 Euro, personally, however, I am already beginning to think, apart from the well-known DENAFRIPS Ares II, of some interesting alternatives in R2R by Soekris, Metrum Acoustics, Musician etc etc.
Ares II https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/denafrips-ares-ii-usb-r2r-dac-review.11166/
Soekris 1421 https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rements-of-soekris-dac1421-multibit-dac.3956/
Musician Pegasus https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-musician-pegasus-r2r-dac.18786/

capitanharlock

Usually the r2r dacs have bad measurements, and there aren many comparable dac and headphones amp on the market.

elevensheep

Regarding the equipment, I have compared it with an SMSL M400 that I also own and it has nothing to envy in audio quality, but in addition to that I gain a better look, better materials and above all, what interests me the most, that it is Roon Ready , which in theory should happen soon.

are you saying the sound quality is much worse than the SMSL M400?

capitanharlock

I guess he's saying that they have the same quality.

Btw, I checked the Matrix audio site, and I wasn't able to find any firmware update file or procedure.
The manual doesn't specify anything...

Edit: I found it here: https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/news/20201016503.html

Strange place to keep a firmware and it seems that the shipping units have a more recent version onboard...

Last edited:

Albocan

I guess he's saying that they have the same quality.

Btw, I checked the Matrix audio site, and I wasn't able to find any firmware update file or procedure.
The manual doesn't specify anything...

Edit: I found it here: https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/news/20201016503.html

Strange place to keep a firmware and it seems that the shipping units have a more recent version onboard...

That's right, I said that the Matrix has nothing to envy the SMSL in terms of audio quality. Although it has a less warm tone than the SMSL M400, I think the Mini-i Pro 3 offers a higher degree of detail, better instrument positioning, and a very similar soundstage. Both are very good products, but also the Mini-i Pro 3 offers better connectivity solutions than the SMSL

elevensheep

That's right, I said that the Matrix has nothing to envy the SMSL in terms of audio quality. Although it has a less warm tone than the SMSL M400, I think the Mini-i Pro 3 offers a higher degree of detail, better instrument positioning, and a very similar soundstage. Both are very good products, but also the Mini-i Pro 3 offers better connectivity solutions than the SMSL

thank you. This is very helpful.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tooape2escape

Wanted to chime in here a bit on this unit...

I recently picked one up as an "all in one" for my desk, and have been very pleased thus far (subjectively at least, this is ASR after all). Great dynamics, nice "punch" or drive, great detail and separation...Not totally sure whats up with this high output impedance thing, I can't hear much of what i'd expect to hear going to other amps (mostly a Liquid Platinum, Topping A90 is in the mail). Testing has thus far been on Focal Elex, LCD 2C, Drop/Hifiman 5XX, DT1990.

Bass doesn't go wild, detail isn't lost, things sounds great. Even powering these headphones off the 4.4mm bal output, all seems well. Not sure if I just don't have the trained ear required, or if the spec is just wildly pessimistic in terms of impedance... It's a recommend from me regardless.

capitanharlock

I have one on order, I will compare it with a Topping d50s and or Topping A90.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In my measurement, there are many problems with this device. Tonight, I will post a consumer warning in Chinese on my website. And will post in English here.
For me, all of the Element products proved buggy (Element X, M, i, P). Yes, I am a slow learner. No spotify connect, connection problems galore, and an app that still needs work (based on relative threads here). Look forward to your post.

capitanharlock

After the measurement on my Chinese website was released, Matrix Audio took it very seriously. They quickly contacted me and reproduced the bug based on my measurement settings.
They are about to provide new firmware-the bug has been fixed.
I will also verify the results
Hope that the new firmware is out.
What kind of issues are you seeing?

Giangi71

What does it mean "too high impedance output in SE"? I'm using a low impedance and sensible headphone just now in SE trought Roon wifi streaming and it's ok

tooape2escape

What does it mean "too high impedance output in SE"? I'm using a low impedance and sensible headphone just now in SE trought Roon wifi streaming and it's ok
I'm having a similar experience, I wonder if MA was just overly cautious on the rating...

capitanharlock

I received the Mini, and it’s working fine, Roon ready after the fw upgrade.
I wasn’t able to connect it to the Ma remote app, but I guess it’s supposed to be compatible, so strange.

capitanharlock

That explains a lot... :facepalm:
The wifi antenna, in my opinion hasn’t a good gain, the mini shows a very weak signal and it can barely connect, but Roon isn’t able to stream via wifi.
My phone and my pc works correctly in the same position.
So I had to use powerline.

capitanharlock

My initial experience with the Mini-i3 is satisfactory.
Using via Lan as Roon endpoint.
Looks fine to me.

gearocdguy

@MatrixAudio

I am enjoying my I-Mini Pro3. I think it's an excellent streamer, DAC, and line-level amplifier. The lack of a proper headphone output stage is unfortunate, but I think the value proposition is excellent given what it does well. For the times, I listen to lower impedance dynamic headphone there is a clear benefit to an external headphone amp. Given, most of these headphones are more portable in nature, and most of the high-quality portable amps have their own DACS, it would be useful if the I-mini had a digital output to leverage the streamer. If this can be done in software, it would be a valuable new feature and enhance the overall value proposition. Thanks

capitanharlock

What external amp are using?
I listen to a Grado Ps500e and I found the internal amp ok.

gearocdguy

What external amp are using?
I listen to a Grado Ps500e and I found the internal amp ok.

I have used both an old Gilmore Lite and a WHAMMY. I really like the WHAMMY feed from the XLR outs using RCA adaptors. I am also going to try an ifi Zen can feed from the 4.4mm.

Top Bottom