• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Element X - Playing Dsf files

D

Deleted member 20875

I actually like the sound from DSD (*.dsf) files somewhat better than from FLAC (converted from *.dsf). Certainly has to do with the playback implementation. However, the instant I click "play" on dsf folder I hear rather loud click in the speakers. Similar to when stylus touches the record when it is lowered. Is this to be expected (and could be ignored) or should I be concerned?

Just checked again; there is no click when listening through the headphones, so it is good. I guess when switching to and back from the DSD mode it does send some very short spike to the pre-amp. I wonder why it is so and if it could be silenced. Other than turning the main volume off and on of course.

It does not happen when connected via RCA cables, only with XLR.

Last edited by a moderator:

somy

Just tried DSD on Element M and I don't hear the click as you mentioned. Maybe Element X user can help?

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

Just tried DSD on Element M and I don't hear the click as you mentioned. Maybe Element X user can help?

Is yours set to auto?
No, there is definitely a click, I will measure it from the terminals.

somy

Is yours set to auto?
No, there is definitely a click, I will measure it from the terminals.
Yes mine is set to auto. Maybe something wrong with the def file? Have you tried to play with other devices?

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

Yes mine is set to auto. Maybe something wrong with the def file? Have you tried to play with other devices?
Now I don't think, although I do not hear the click with the other devices. Volumio Primo plays without click, and so does Cambridge CXN.

somy

Maybe you should send the file to MA and see if they can reproduce the issue?

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

Maybe you should send the file to MA and see if they can reproduce the issue?

I think it is not a bad idea actually, but now I have a different problem; it dos not sync everything from the NAS and DSD (*.dsf files) directory is completely omitted. So before I get there ...

Last edited by a moderator:

raykkho

Forum Donor
For what its worth, I exclusively use Roon with my X, no pops nor clicks playing any format at any resolution from my setup. I use headphones with the X only so I would know for sure if there was any abnormalities, also I use Wifi only.

somy

For what its worth, I exclusively use Roon with my X, no pops nor clicks playing any format at any resolution from my setup. I use headphones with the X only so I would know for sure if there was any abnormalities, also I use Wifi only.
Maybe you have the right network card? Some of us have wrong network card which only supports 802.11N

raykkho

Forum Donor
Maybe you have the right network card? Some of us have wrong network card which only supports 802.11N
I have the same network as supplied, so I don't think it has to do with the network card in my case.

Top Bottom