• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Element X - issue

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I thought I'd start a new thread documenting the issue I have with my new Element X (and hopefully its resolution), rather than corrupting the review thread any further.

I was playing around with my newly-received X over the weekend, and noticed that all 7 internal filters sounded identical to each other. I then proceeded to check the filter profiles by passing 24/44.1 and 24/48 white noise files through the X and capturing its analogue output. And here's what I found:

Filter 1 - 24/44.1 white noise (via USB):
HQPlayer - lossless - USB - 24_44.1 - Filter 1.JPG

Filter 1 - 24/48 white noise (via USB):
HQPlayer - lossless - USB - 24_48 - Filter 1.JPG

(I have no idea why there are spikes just before the sampling frequency. They exist in the ethernet plots too, but in that case they lie just beyond the sampling frequency.)

All 7 filters show identical profiles (for their respective sampling frequencies)! So my ears weren't deceiving me after all ;-)

My suspicion was that my X was stuck permanently in 'MQA mode' and that these profiles were of its MQA filters. To test this hypothesis, I went on to capture the output of the X in real time, playing back a 24/44.2 MQA file (decoded and rendered by the X), and then its redbook equivalent:

Redbook:
HQPlayer - lossless - USB - Beyonce MQA 24_44.1.JPG

MQA:
HQPlayer - lossless - USB - Beyonce 16_44.1.JPG

They look suspiciously similar, don't they?

I've tried rebooting the X a number of times, and have also tried updating the X's firmware. But when I try the latter, I'm confronted with this message:
4. Please update firmware _ small.jpg

Clicking OK seems to do nothing.

I have to say that I'm not particularly impressed to date. Had I not had the means to look into what's going on, I'd have been none the wiser, and would have been living with the effects of this 'leaky' filter.

But the dealer from whom I purchased the X (Igloo Audio in the UK) has been very responsive, and I'm confident we'll get to the bottom of things once MA support return from their holiday.

I'll keep this thread updated as soon as anything else happens.

Mani.

Last edited:
OP
manisandher

manisandher

OP
manisandher

manisandher

Nice gap.

It's what comes after the gap that's interesting. There's obviously a lot of imaging going on after the Nyquist frequency with this 'leaky' filter. But what effect this could possibly have on the sound we hear is debatable. My understanding is that it might affect the stability of some downstream electronics, but the imaging is pretty low in level, and I can't imagine anything competently designed being phased by it.

But I suppose the argument is, if the imaging (which I guess is distortion) can be easily avoided, why not avoid it?

Mani.

bennetng

Major Contributor
OP
manisandher

manisandher

Regarding your firmware upgrade issue, I did find this guide on their website regarding upgrading the firmware via a computer posted on the 10th January this year: https://matrix-digi.com/en/news/20200110449.html

Also found this: https://matrix-digi.com/en/news/20191113437.html

Not sure if it’s of any help to you.

Thanks again.

I updated the firmware to the latest version:
Element X - About.jpg

Unfortunately, the filters remain identical, and with exactly the same profile as before the update:
Filter 1 - post firmware update.JPG

I wonder if this issue is unique to my Element X? In any event, I'm still hopeful that this issue will get sorted out once MA support return from their holiday. But with the current coronavirus outbreak, I'm not sure when that's likely to be.

Mani.

OP
manisandher

manisandher

Sorry Sir, please swipe left the device name in Device paeg, tap Settings, then you can check Firmware update.

Thanks for replying.

I have already done what you suggest and have updated my firmware to A10301.

BUT... the filters in the Element X remain the same. All 7 filters are identical and look like this:

Filter 1 - post firmware update.JPG

If I filter in software before sending to the Element X, it looks like this:

Roon Filter pre Element X.JPG

There is clearly something wrong with my Element X that wasn't fixed with the firmware update. Please advise...

Mani.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
There is clearly something wrong with my Element X that wasn't fixed with the firmware update. Please advise...
Understand.
As you know, there is serious coronavirus spreading in China, people are recommended to stay at home and isolate from each other, we started to handle some works at home from today, but the equipments cannot bring home, so our engineers could not answer this question right now. Hope you can wait for several more days. They will test the filters once they can get to our lab, and i'll let you know the result then.

OP
manisandher

manisandher

OK. Thank you.

Mani.

Borghesi

Forum Donor
Understand.
As you know, there is serious coronavirus spreading in China, people are recommended to stay at home and isolate from each other, we started to handle some works at home from today, but the equipments cannot bring home, so our engineers could not answer this question right now. Hope you can wait for several more days. They will test the filters once they can get to our lab, and i'll let you know the result then.
Hi, I hope you and your families are not affected by the virus. Please tell me when do you think you can continue with production of Element X ?

suttondesign

Forum Donor
Understand.
My family in Austin Texas is thinking of our friends in China and hopes for the best for all of you.

OP
manisandher

manisandher

The Matrix Audio team finally managed to make it to their lab, and they managed to replicate the issue that I have with my Element X. As I suspected, it seems to be an issue with its MQA filter - apparently the code in the XMOS firmware, and will require MQA to take a look at it. The issue only arises with USB and ethernet inputs, and not on the optical, coaxial or IIS inputs.

I'll update this thread as soon as there's anything else to report.

Mani.

Borghesi

Forum Donor
Hello, We are fine, Thank you very much!
Sorry we have no exact date of continue with production. But I believe the epideic will pass soon.
Hi Matrix Audio Team,
I hope you and your relatives and friends are still o.k.
In the last days my chinese friends told me that step for step they start working.
Do you have now some expectations about the start of production ?
Best Regards

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Hi Matrix Audio Team,
I hope you and your relatives and friends are still o.k.
In the last days my chinese friends told me that step for step they start working.
Do you have now some expectations about the start of production ?
Best Regards
Hi Borghesi, thank you very much. We are good now, both the matrix team and the relatives. we started full time work since last week. Now element series and X-SABRE Pro MQA are all in stock now.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
The Matrix Audio team finally managed to make it to their lab, and they managed to replicate the issue that I have with my Element X. As I suspected, it seems to be an issue with its MQA filter - apparently the code in the XMOS firmware, and will require MQA to take a look at it. The issue only arises with USB and ethernet inputs, and not on the optical, coaxial or IIS inputs.

I'll update this thread as soon as there's anything else to report.

Mani.
Hi manisandher, we fixed the issue. The new firmware is available for download now.
The mesurement digram is shown below.
Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

em_1301.jpg

Top Bottom