• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Element i USB DAC & Streamer Review

rooster.jorge

Greetings from L O77°1'41.66" L S12°2'35.45"

I appreciate this convincing review. I was wondering whether anyone can answer whether to choose this element i DAC/streamer or just the SMLS M500 DAC (MQA). Where I live, unfortunately there is no much to choose from. Right now I have the chance to get one of these DACs. I understand that the SMLS M500 has termal stability issues, which the matrix DAC does not.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Greetings from L O77°1'41.66" L S12°2'35.45"

I appreciate this convincing review. I was wondering whether anyone can answer whether to choose this element i DAC/streamer or just the SMLS M500 DAC (MQA). Where I live, unfortunately there is no much to choose from. Right now I have the chance to get one of these DACs. I understand that the SMLS M500 has termal stability issues, which the matrix DAC does not.
If you can afford the Matrix, get that. It has a much higher end build and feel.

MarkD

Hello everyone! I have found this community just a couple of days ago and since then I fall in love with it! Finally I see great technical reviews and measurements. The main reason I was searching for is the element i and it is great that it has been reviewed as well. I am currently looking for new streamer as my Oppo Sonica Dac stopped connecting to my network after resent updates of ios and android systems. So I ended up using it as DAC only feeded from macbook which is not convenient And not good for sound either. My question regarding Element i - what frequencies are supported over wi-fi connection for Flac and DSD files? Can it play Flac 24/192 and DSD 128 and 256 over wi-fi connection? My main source is music stored on NAS Synology snd there is absolutely no way of using ethernet cable, so I need strong wi-fi connection and ability to play hi resolution files. After some research I found that Auralic Aries G1 can play even up to DSD 512 over wi-fi, but it is very expensive. So now i am looking in replacing my Oppo Sonica Dac with new steamer/dac. Thanks for any help!

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Can it play Flac 24/192 and DSD 128 and 256 over wi-fi connection?
If you set your Synology as network storage of element i, it can play up to 32/384 and DSD 256 over wi-fi connection.
If you need more higher sampling rate support, you can select element M or element X. the sampling rate limit is 32/768 and DSD.

MarkD

If you set your Synology as network storage of element i, it can play up to 32/384 and DSD 256 over wi-fi connection.
If you need more higher sampling rate support, you can select element M or element X. the sampling rate limit is 32/768 and DSD.
Great! Thank you!

rooster.jorge

Thank you
If you can afford the Matrix, get that. It has a much higher end build and feel.

Apparently the authorized dealer in my city is not very familiar with the element i. I asked for demo listening sessions, in whcih we ran into problems connecting the unit to Roon. My question is how is the elemnt i supposed to be connected to Roon? The dealer used the usb out from the nuc pc to the usb in from the element i. Is it the appropriate way or it should be done through the lan port (as I assumed it should be)?
Also, I got in contact with matrix support and asked them whether they had plans to update/provide MQA to the element i. They replied that it was not in their plans and recommended element M. Is the MQA performance from the element M any better than the standard performance of the element i? it may probably be subjective but any guidance would be appreciated.

MarkD

Are you planning to issue iPad specific app? Current ios app which is called MA remote is not optimised for iPads, it is only for iphones.

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Can it act as a pre, meaning the volume knob works also on the back side xlr and rca outs?

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Hi Matrix. I'm confused that Amir said the element i isn't technically Roon Ready yet the marketing material clearly indicates that it is Roon Ready. Can you please clarify? Thanks!
As a feature of element i, it supports ROON Ready, element i works as an endpoint of a ROON core. But it has not passed ROON Ready certification.
Currently it can works fine with ROON core, actually exists bugs. But we can fix them in the near future.

MarkD

Yes, iOS app for iPad will be available in several months, we are doing it. You guys will see some preview screenshots soon.:p
Excellent! One more question. Can MA remote app see subfolders of the content located on shared drives like NAS Synology? For example, if i have Music as a root folder on NAS and then I have Metallica folder under which is many different albums each located again in its own folder like 2012,2014 etc. Will such hierarchy be visible for MA Remote?

rooster.jorge

@MatrixAudio Why does the manual states that 32 bit is only available through I2S HDMI port in the element i? Does it mean that neither the USB connection not the LAN or any of the other inputs handles this bitrate? Can this DAC upsample files to 32bit?
Also, does Roon’s control of audio zones and playback or volume only work through the matrix app on the phone? That would be such a bummer. :(

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Apparently the authorized dealer in my city is not very familiar with the element i. I asked for demo listening sessions, in whcih we ran into problems connecting the unit to Roon. My question is how is the elemnt i supposed to be connected to Roon? The dealer used the usb out from the nuc pc to the usb in from the element i. Is it the appropriate way or it should be done through the lan port (as I assumed it should be)?
Sorry for the late reply. Ethernet port is the answer. If he uses hardware USB connection, then he needs to go to Audio devices and select Wasapi for Matrix, give it a name and then later on select it as an output device. In this case it is just being used as any DAC. As you said, the point of roon compatibility is to use network streaming with it.

Top Bottom