• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Element i USB DAC & Streamer Review

somy

Do you happen to have their email address? I used the form on their Technical Support site and still haven't gotten a reply.

My main issue with MA Remote is when I play MQA, there is a substantial lag before it plays, about 5 minutes. For regular Hifi. music, it is fine and can switch music easily.
5 mins? That doesn’t sound good. I will receive my element m tomorrow, will report back any issue.

sonusfaberx

5 mins? That doesn’t sound good. I will receive my element m tomorrow, will report back any issue.
It does not happen all the time though. But if I spend so much time listening, I feel it takes up too much of the cache in the MA App which causes that lag.

I have tried Roon and it has seamless integration with Matrix Audio. I just hope MA improves the app more so I don't need to subscribe to Roon.

somy

Got my Element M, OMG so many small issues, I think you need better developers. One of the worst thing if playback of Tidal via WIFI. It simply doesn't work. It has nothing to do with WIFI speed as I can play DSD128 from NAS without any problem. I think the cache implementation need to be improved. In my case I got more than 20 interruptions/pops in a song :-(
There are also strange logic like I can wakeup the device by playing local NAS music (nice so no need to turn on beforehand), but it doesn't work with Airplay or Tidal :facepalm: And it doesn't allow WIFI and LAN to be enabled at the same time.

jko314

I've been using the DAC for couple of months. It's sonic performance is top notch, but I've noticed two issues, which I'm curious if others have experienced:
1) The device goes into mute mode intermittently; sometime after a few min or an hour. It unmutes as soon as volume is adjusted.
2) Using the knob to turn off causes a pop and puts my Denon amp into protection mode.

I have both XLR and RCA connected and mainly use the toslink.

sonusfaberx

Got my Element M, OMG so many small issues, I think you need better developers. One of the worst thing if playback of Tidal via WIFI. It simply doesn't work. It has nothing to do with WIFI speed as I can play DSD128 from NAS without any problem. I think the cache implementation need to be improved. In my case I got more than 20 interruptions/pops in a song :-(
There are also strange logic like I can wakeup the device by playing local NAS music (nice so no need to turn on beforehand), but it doesn't work with Airplay or Tidal :facepalm: And it doesn't allow WIFI and LAN to be enabled at the same time.

It really is the app, if Roon can make it seamless, I am sure MA can do it as well. They really do need those better developers.

somy

Hi, after spending the whole afternoon and evening with Element M, I think I'd share some thoughts, maybe.
First with good parts:
1) The construction is very good - it gives hi-end feel and look
It really is the app, if Roon can make it seamless, I am sure MA can do it as well. They really do need those better developers.
Hi @sonusfaberx
I made a new thread with some issues I'm facing with Element M:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...atrix-audio-element-m-first-impression.16048/
Can you help to check if you see them as well (especially the issue 1 and 2)? Thanks a lot in advance!

RickD

I was giving this strong consideration until I noticed the WiFi is limited to n. To get Ac you have to bump up to M and add several hundred dollars to the cost. That is a no-go. Why would any WiFi item in 2020 not have ac?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was giving this strong consideration until I noticed the WiFi is limited to n. To get Ac you have to bump up to M and add several hundred dollars to the cost. That is a no-go. Why would any WiFi item in 2020 not have ac?
So that it will force you to bump up your purchase to the more expensive item. No ac works ok for me streaming redbook CD flac ciles but not much else.

ousi

I know this is an old thread, just trying to add my findings.

I got mine not too long ago and it sounds great except for 1 thing.
I was streaming via WiFi going through Roon, and if I use the headphone output I found noise (very slight) on the right channel only, and crackles when it starts loading the song. Doesn't happen for XLR or RCA output (tried with an Archel 2.5 Pro). I'm using it as a pure DAC/streamer for now.

somy

So that it will force you to bump up your purchase to the more expensive item. No ac works ok for me streaming redbook CD flac ciles but not much else.
Actually they put N wireless card in Element X/M as well, absolutely false advertisement and they’re still keeping silent and updated specs of x/m to 802.11n on their website.

cronos

Question:
¿Matrix Audio Element X is compatible with spotify?
thank you!

cronos

Will Spotify be available only through your MA remote application? Or will it be available as spotify connect directly in the spotify app? Tidal connect is currently available? o Tidal only works through the MA remote app? Thank you!

Top Bottom