• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Element i USB DAC & Streamer Review

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
@MatrixAudio ,

I ordered an Element i from your online store. What is the expected shipping time to the east coast USA?

It does not have a trigger, but in the past I have been able to trigger my Benchmark AHB2 using a home-made USB to trigger cable. Will your USB inputs power on with the unit?

I plan on using it as a Roon endpoint, hard wired. What does "actually exists bugs" mean for Roon?

- Rich
Dear Rich, saw your order. But sorry we cannot ship it. Because US customers should place order at dealers in the US. We will refound your payment soon. Please understand. Sorry again.

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear Rich, saw your order. But sorry we cannot ship it. Because US customers should place order at Power Holdings Inc (https://power-holdings-inc.com/ ) or Moon Audio (http://moon-audio.com/ ) or other dealers in the US. We will refound your payment soon. Please understand. Sorry again.

You may want to consider updating your website to reflect the USA purchasing options.

Does the USB Supply power when the unit is powered on?

- Rich

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
You may want to consider updating your website to reflect the USA purchasing options.

Does the USB Supply power when the unit is powered on?

- Rich
Yes we just enabled the US as destination for some reasons, we will add a tip on the purchasing page to notify customers soon. Sorry to confuse you.

I guess you meant "Does the USB Supply power when the unit is powered OFF?"
Yes, the USB port supports power even if the unit is in standby mode. This is to avoid the MA player refresh music lib (scan hard drive or falsh disk) every time you recover the unit from standby mode.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Dear Rich, saw your order. But sorry we cannot ship it. Because US customers should place order at Power Holdings Inc (https://power-holdings-inc.com/ ) or Moon Audio (http://moon-audio.com/ ) or other dealers in the US. We will refound your payment soon. Please understand. Sorry again.
I am an "other dealer" in the U.S. as you'll see on the Matrix site, but be advised that Matrix orders aren't getting out right now b/c of the pandemic. If Moon Audio or someone else has them in stock, you'd better get one.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes we just enabled the US as destination for some reasons, we will add a tip on the purchasing page to notify customers soon. Sorry to confuse you.

I guess you meant "Does the USB Supply power when the unit is powered OFF?"
Yes, the USB port supports power even if the unit is in standby mode. This is to avoid the MA player refresh music lib (scan hard drive or falsh disk) every time you recover the unit from standby mode.

Actually, I was hoping for it not to supply power when the unit is OFF. This would allow me to use the 5 Volts to trigger my amp.
It's odd how many DACs with balanced outputs don't seem to be designed to trigger amplifiers.

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not finding too many sub $1,500 Roon streaming DACs with excellent SINAD.
The lack of a trigger is a problem.

There is this solution from Niles that provides a 12 volt trigger out when it senses power:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=CC7G53EWAVS1H4GTFEEJ
I am not sure if that works since the Element i specifications state it uses < 5 watts in standby.

The other alternative is a firmware update that allowed an option to power off the USB when the unit is in standby. @MatrixAudio, any chance of that?

- Rich

Gellie

Hello, a couple of questions:
I'm currently using my Oppo 105 w/ ES9018 Sabre32 Reference DAC streaming to by Squeeze Box Touch(running Roon).
How does the DAC in the Element I measure up?
I'm assuming since there are no digital outs, you cant bypass the internal DAC?

Thanks. Looking forward to the Roon certification

Cheers

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
How does the DAC in the Element I measure up?
I'm assuming since there are no digital outs, you cant bypass the internal DAC?

Hi, please refer to Aimrm's post regarding measurement of element i.

As you know, element i does not have digital outs, cannot bypass the internal DAC.

Thank you .

Zamolos

How this matrix element i compare in sound quality and user friendly experience with cambridge audio cxn v2 ? Do asr measure cambridge audio streamers?

deafenears

Forum Donor
How this matrix element i compare in sound quality and user friendly experience with cambridge audio cxn v2 ? Do asr measure cambridge audio streamers?
Send one in and we'll find out...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Send one in and we'll find out...
I have one - not sure shipping from UK wouldnt be prohibitively expensive though. Would love to see it tested . It's DAC was spoken of highly in the press etc, FWTW. @amirm ever had a full sized (but not heavy) box shipped to you from UK?

Puska

Dear Rich, saw your order. But sorry we cannot ship it. Because US customers should place order at dealers in the US. We will refound your payment soon. Please understand. Sorry again.
Hi can you ship to Canada? What is the price?

countbasey

It would be good in the future for streamer/dacs to measure a lot of these graphs using the streamer functions in addition to the USB input. This review of the Matrix i looks stellar from USB input but other reviews show that the measures are quite different with the inboard streamer as the input. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...matrix-element-i-dac-dap-stream-player.10475/ . I also see differences with other measurements between the two reviews. Maybe the difference is just a difference in the jitter preference setting between the units reviewed?

firedog

I ordered one of these from the Matrix site (I'm not in the US) and Fedex shipping was included in the price. I received it yesterday only about a week after ordering.
Pretty happy with the unit. Roon recognizes it and it works fine, in spite of not yet being certified. I also set it up to work as a networked DLNA device with no issue. As well as USB.
I can't find any faults with the SQ - I hear plenty of detail and my good sounding recordings sound just like I expect them to - and as they sound with other good DACs.
I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a streamer dac.

Roberto

It would be good in the future for streamer/dacs to measure a lot of these graphs using the streamer functions in addition to the USB input. This review of the Matrix i looks stellar from USB input but other reviews show that the measures are quite different with the inboard streamer as the input. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...matrix-element-i-dac-dap-stream-player.10475/ . I also see differences with other measurements between the two reviews. Maybe the difference is just a difference in the jitter preference setting between the units reviewed?

I was thinking about buying the Element I. However, my only source of music is Tidal steaming. This post suggest there is an issue with the inboard streamer. Am I mis-reading the post?

A comment from Amir or WolfX would be helpful.

jimp

Forum Donor
I am also interested in this as a streamer only. I will not be feeding it via a digital or USB inputs. I'll use Tidal I guess but would rather have Amazon Music. I just like it's interface better. Playlists seem to be more my taste as well. But I'll take Tidal as long as it streams at high quality. Amazing how hard it is to find a Streamer with quality DACs that will allow you to stream Amazon Music HD/Ultra HD out balanced outputs. Don't even ask for left, right, and two subs. I guess my requirements are not too wide spread.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
Anyone wondering the difference between the MA models. I reached out to the vendor directly and this is what they sent over.

Attachments

• 2020-04-07 07_07_59-Intersted in buying the Element I and M - jinconiglios@gmail.com - Gmail.png
    2020-04-07 07_07_59-Intersted in buying the Element I and M - [email protected] - Gmail.png
    87 KB · Views: 476
Top Bottom