• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Element i USB DAC & Streamer Review

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2.4ghz isn't going away. It's superior for walls and range. Unless you're comparing 2.4ghz wifi to 5g cellular, which you may be doing and is just incorrect.

Tks

Major Contributor
Good DACs don't care which input you use. Here is the Toslink:

Nothing is different whatsoever.

That's what I hoped for. You can never assume this stuff unfortunately, as we've seen from the D90, it's not always necessarily the case, even if past history would give us no reason to suspect. Thanks for the the measurement bossman!

Oh I forgot one other thing, Jitter. That's usually where the revelation of inputs gets really apparent.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
2.4ghz isn't going away. It's superior for walls and range. Unless you're comparing 2.4ghz wifi to 5g cellular, which you may be doing and is just incorrect.
Perhaps not frequent, but if you live in an apartment building, 2.4g can be congested, and subject to other interference. 5g wifi, while shorter range, has many more available channels.

One size need not fit all..and to ask if a device supports 5g wifi is a reasonable question ..

Personally, I use 5g whenever possible. Once connected I find it less susceptible to dropouts..

But my point was a function's obsolescence in a many function bespoke device. Not if a particular one was - or was not. Sorry if that was not clear..

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh I forgot one other thing, Jitter. That's usually where the revelation of inputs gets really apparent.
You guys don't trust me?

Matrix Audio Element i USB DAC and Streamer Roon Jitter Toslink Measurement.png

:)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One of the questions you might have with an 'all in one' bespoke device like this is: 'What do you do when one of the key features becomes obsolete?'.
You could also ask what becomes better with integration. Top of that list is headphone volume control that has no channel shift unlike analog stand-alone amps.

In addition, clutter is sharply reduced. That is why I still use Topping DX3 Pro instead of separates.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
You could also ask what becomes better with integration. Top of that list is headphone volume control that has no channel shift unlike analog stand-alone amps.

In addition, clutter is sharply reduced. That is why I still use Topping DX3 Pro instead of separates.
What would be nice would be for the integration to take a systems approach to optimization, thus not only reducing clutter, but providing a real value add.

Except for some electrostatics, I am not aware of anyone providing a combination headphone/amp unified product. For example, someone like HI FiMan could design and offer a planar magnetic HP/amp combination that need not worry about 32ohms, that could even provide a DC bias (or DSP processing) to offset any + or - elasticity difference/non -lineararity in the diaphram surround, a HP tuned equalization in the amp (adjustable Kamelon) for easily profiling HP response to suit, etc. Or a self-optimizing/linearization feedback loop transducer/amp. (Transducer inside the feedback loop. 'Active damping'?)

In other words, the amp is not simply 'pasted on' to the HP, but the pair is designed together as a system.

Are there any HP/amp combos that have taken this approach?

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I think there are wireless headphones that have taken this approach.
Hmmm.. Too bad the codec may get in the way. Have you heard any compared to traditional wired? Might this be a future area to explore and measure?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hmmm.. Too bad the codec may get in the way. Have you heard any compared to traditional wired? Might this be a future area to explore and measure?
Sorry, meant to say noise cancelling. I am thinking of an AKG one

carlosmante

This was precisely my reaction as well - pricing. When you look at alternates, is it worth $1000? The DAC performance, while excellent, is not class-leading. 113db vs. 110db for an $120 LG V20 Quad DAC 'streamer'. Is 3db worth $900? Amir hasn't measured the HP amp yet but we know excellent choices there for $100. For 'streaming'? Again. Cellphones and BubbleUnPN, the $120 V20 as an endpoint, $25 LG Rebel 4 'tracfone' to access your Tidal whatever-- $30 Fire7" tablets to do the same thing if you use Amazon Music HD and Alexa streaming capabilities.. A limited 2.4g wifi only apparently..

I can buy a pretty good pair of HP for $1k. A decent as701 power amp. A pair of Maggie LRS with money left over..2 WXA-50s...

No, it's not a ripoff/PS Audio style - but given all the alternates we have, IMO it's 'value for money' at maybe $400. Not $1000..
So True, It is more expensive than Silver.

JRG

The only thing I miss in this device (and in most streamers) is the lack of DRC.
"I can't live" without a DRC, because the improvement in my system is huge in terms of clean bass. I have ARC System 2.5 from IK Multimedia installed on my computer (mac mini) that i use as a player.
Would be great that this kind of devices included some DRC system even if optionally paying for the software.
Now, as an amplifier for headphones or for an installation that does not require DRC it seems to me an excellent option.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What would be nice would be for the integration to take a systems approach to optimization, thus not only reducing clutter, but providing a real value add.

Except for some electrostatics, I am not aware of anyone providing a combination headphone/amp unified product. For example, someone like HI FiMan could design and offer a planar magnetic HP/amp combination that need not worry about 32ohms, that could even provide a DC bias (or DSP processing) to offset any + or - elasticity difference/non -lineararity in the diaphram surround, a HP tuned equalization in the amp (adjustable Kamelon) for easily profiling HP response to suit, etc. Or a self-optimizing/linearization feedback loop transducer/amp. (Transducer inside the feedback loop. 'Active damping'?)

In other words, the amp is not simply 'pasted on' to the HP, but the pair is designed together as a system.

Are there any HP/amp combos that have taken this approach?
https://warwickacoustics.com/headphones/

Audeze provide DSP correction.

I don't get what a custom amp is meant to do with normal phones, but optional DSP seems a very good idea.

CharlesC

I currently use DigiOne (original) as a Roon endpoint and a D50s DAC. Are there inherent advantages or disadvantages to having the endpoint and DAC in the same device? All other things being equal I like the ideal of fewer boxes. Thanks.

veeceem

I currently use DigiOne (original) as a Roon endpoint and a D50s DAC. Are there inherent advantages or disadvantages to having the endpoint and DAC in the same device? All other things being equal I like the ideal of fewer boxes. Thanks.
D50s can also act as a preamp? Then I think you're good with current setup. Save $1000 for something else then? :)

Top Bottom