• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mathematically modeled sound attenuating / absorbing metamaterial.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it make good speaker cabinet material?

I suspect it would not be ideal as a cabinet material in its own right, as it would vibrate and potentially produce sound itself (although this is just a hunch based on its apparent weight and density - I can't find anything in the links discussing this).

Moreover (and I don't have access to the full article to confirm this) it seems that the material needs to be tuned to a specific frequency. It isn't a broadband absorber but rather a narrowband one that is extremely effective, but only in a very specific frequency range.

Perhaps if anyone has full text access they can confirm this?

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From what I read it reflects sound back to the source.

BillH

Forum Donor
Unfortunately the fractional bandwidth is only approximately 1/10 the center frequency. ( Fig 3)
Their demo is at 430 Hz but the attenuation is less than 100 Hz FWHM
On the flip side, the device dimensions are deeply subwavelength which makes it nice for low frequency resonance control from ducts and other mechanical systems.

rocknss

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I've contacted Acoustic Metamaterials Group in China previously, but they seem focused on industrial uses only.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Tks

Major Contributor
Someone call the MTA here in New York. Get these trains in these tubes, feel like I lost some of my hearing as a child going to school every day using the Subway..

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They need to start selling these at standard vent sizes if they can be made to operate in the midband and treble... Put them in all of my vents to lower the sounds of voices and TV carrying to my room.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

OP
maxxevv

maxxevv

Major Contributor
They need to start selling these at standard vent sizes if they can be made to operate in the midband and treble... Put them in all of my vents to lower the sounds of voices and TV carrying to my room.

It would be interesting if they can make them into door frames.

Where you can have sound isolation into and out of a room without actually having to seal it off. Like you can isolate the kitchen off from the living room and vice versa .... Would be pretty cool and neat if that comes to pass.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be interesting if they can make them into door frames.

The sound still has to hit the device I think to be affected. I wonder if the size of the opening increasing would make it unable to get rid of treble frequencies with small wavelengths?

Top Bottom