• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Mathematically modeled sound attenuating / absorbing metamaterial.

andreasmaaan

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
Would it make good speaker cabinet material?
I suspect it would not be ideal as a cabinet material in its own right, as it would vibrate and potentially produce sound itself (although this is just a hunch based on its apparent weight and density - I can't find anything in the links discussing this).

Moreover (and I don't have access to the full article to confirm this) it seems that the material needs to be tuned to a specific frequency. It isn't a broadband absorber but rather a narrowband one that is extremely effective, but only in a very specific frequency range.

Perhaps if anyone has full text access they can confirm this?

Unfortunately the fractional bandwidth is only approximately 1/10 the center frequency. ( Fig 3)
Their demo is at 430 Hz but the attenuation is less than 100 Hz FWHM
On the flip side, the device dimensions are deeply subwavelength which makes it nice for low frequency resonance control from ducts and other mechanical systems.

Top Bottom