• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mathaudio Room EQ users (tips & tricks)

Golf

Regarding measurement: It’s quite a while since I did them, and I believe the mic was vertical. But I have to redo them anyway, since I replaced my amplifier recently.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me give you an example why it's position is important to me (subjectively)
Have a look at my measurement. Around 200hz up to around 11.000hz you see compared with my white line (target curve) a difference till 14 db. Thats a hugh difference causes a hiss between voices instruments etc worse my bass is in bypass mode almost killed :facepalm:an imaging is absent. Compare this 14db setoff with a trebel knob on your amplifier (if it has a trebel knob) The range is mabey 6 db in a limited frequency range. For me my target curve which is not a curve creates a level playing field for all frequencies an let me rediscover almost every aspect if my music. Problem in the begining was that i was hooked on this high freqencies it took met 10 minutes to get used to the corrected sound ( room correction). I hear details after 50 years i never heard before.

Attachments

• Frans acoustiek(4).jpg
    Frans acoustiek(4).jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding measurement: It’s quite a while since I did them, and I believe the mic was vertical. But I have to redo them anyway, since I replaced my amplifier recently.
Thats the correct way (vertical) specific for Mathaudio to do a measurement.

Golf

By the way: Your screenshots make me wonder, whether my MathAudio version is the latest one (as I don’t have that »In/Out« button). I won’t even know how to verify :facepalm:

Besides: My left channel window names the calibration file I was using for my measurements.

1662562301440.png

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way: Your screenshots make me wonder, whether my MathAudio version is the latest one (as I don’t have that »In/Out« button). I won’t even know how to verify :facepalm:

Besides: My left channel window names the calibration file I was using for my measurements.

View attachment 229316ts an old version i th

latest version is 2.7.9 you can verify top right under About in the your mathaudio screen.

Golf

I see. So mine is 2.7.7 ...

Thank you!

Golf

Let me give you an example why it's position is important to me (subjectively)

So your chosen reference frequency line is a straight one. I understand that.

But I still don’t fully understand why you placed it at -15 dB (and not at -10 dB or even -5 dB). Except that your decision was based on that good old »I simply let my ears do the judgement« ...

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

But I still don’t fully understand why you placed it at -15 dB (and not at -10 dB or even -5 dB). Except that your decision was based on that good old »I simply let my ears do the judgement« ...
Yes for me the strait white line is maximum transparency if i put it on -10 db bass lacks an mid high frequency are starting to dominate.

Golf

I sure would just love a MathAudio feature that allows redoing the measurement of a given system that is actually corrected by MathAudio Room EQ.

Sokel

Master Contributor
OK, I understand that. But then why is also its position that important?
The position shows the amount of attenuation that's applied in frequencies.
See my example,cuts -10db at 30Hz,the same you can do in any area that's exceeds the ideal "neutral" line.
Try to do it gently thought,try,listen and again until you reach your target line.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I sure would just love a MathAudio feature that allows redoing the measurement of a given system that is actually corrected by MathAudio Room EQ.
You can use REW for that,using the "from file" measurement which you can play through foobar.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning

The higher you keep the target line, the less MathAudio RoomEQ will actually do. It does not EQ anything below the target line. It only EQs what's above the line.

Golf

You can use REW for that,using the "from file" measurement which you can play through foobar.
Easy as opening a beer can, I’d guess ;) ... Will give it a try later.

Golf

The higher you keep the target line, the less MathAudio RoomEQ will actually do. It does not EQ anything below the target line. It only EQs what's above the line.
Thanks a big lot! That seems to be the same than what Sokel posted some hours ago, but now I start to get the picture ... :)

Last edited:

ccc118

Wondering what type/brand speakers are you using and how many filters (measurements) did you made.
I'm using the new Adam A7v monitors that came out recently. Correction is possible within the monitors via dsp, however there are some delays on the software being released so I haven't been able to try it yet. I'm currently using REW and using a parametric EQ in the mean time. I'm trying to limit myself to 6 eq bands, as that's what the Adam software will have once available. I figure I can then use the same settings. I've been having some mixed results with REW's suggested eq adjustments and have found that I'm getting some pretty good results by doing it manually and watching how the predicted curve responds to changes. I'm just making cuts and only up to 400hz.

Golf

Redid the measurements today. Found no way to do it via Audirvana, which is way I was using foobar for it.

Which is why I’m not fully trusting the results by now :confused: Quite surprisingly I have to apply a 16% left balance correction to center the »sound stage« for the listener.

1662665041290.png

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The sharp drop off in frequency response starting at around 8 kHz looks strange. What mic are you using and do you have a calibration file for it?

Trying to figure out if it's your mic that can't capture higher frequencies or if it's truly your speakers that can't reproduce them. What speakers do you have?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Redid the measurements today. Found no way to do it via Audirvana, which is way I was using foobar for it.

Which is why I’m not fully trusting the results by now :confused: Quite surprisingly I have to apply a 16% left balance correction to center the »sound stage« for the listener.

View attachment 229551
At least that looks a like a right measurement.
How many did you do around your listening spot?
You have to do at least 9-11 depending on the area,in a rectangular fashion with the mic on your ear height.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Maybe only 7 or 8. Out of respect for my neighbors, and for my wife :)
They don't have to be loud,75db is the usual level but that's up to you.

Top Bottom