• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mathaudio Room EQ users (tips & tricks)

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For about 3 years I'm using Mathaudio Room EQ an quite happy with it.

I did compared it to Lyndorf an got the subjective impression that both sounded similar. I don't have other experiences with DRC software.
Dominikz did a interesting/elaborate comparison with several DRC solution included Mathaudio Room EQ.

I'm using for my close monitor setup the Foobar2000 (free of cost) solution using standard drivers. For my far-field speaker i use the paid system wide solution using only WASAPI driver. Reason is i don't have to switch measurments anymore an the volume/gain is for all sound more or less the same. The results IMO are astounding i'm 62 an i did rediscover my music again. I find it unbelievable that this DRC software is for free with Foobar2000 producing outstanding results. Besides the improved sound quality the simplicity is remarkable.

Would like to hear the experiences from other users as well the + an - . Did you change for instance from another DRC to Mathaudio Room EQ or visa versa. What was the motivation.? Feel free to elaborate.:D

My far-field measurment:
Frans acoustiek.jpg

Last edited:

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Been using MathAudio RoomEQ for Foobar for about a year now myself and love it. I have no experience with any other DRCs other than that of my Pioneer AVRs MCACC multichannel option. Just wish I'd bought the UMIK-1 and started earlier.

I am using it along with Hifi Cast on a Minix Neo U1 (as a control point) to UPnP stream from my NAS via USB to a Topping DX3 Pro. Amplification is either a Lazarus H-1A or a VTL ST-85. I am using Tannoy V12s with three subs and am getting a flat response from 20Hz. I love the simplicity of RoomEQ as it took all of about 20 minutes to rerun the setup for the second amplifier!

With the Lazarus...
MathAudioBKFinal-1.jpg

With the VTL ST-85...
RoomEQVTL.jpg

My only issue/negative is that for some reason it does not seem to load the last used configuration file but given that this is free software, I certainly have to say that this is a very minor point.

Would love to hear other people's thoughts. It seems to me that the only issue for most people is the initial Foobar setup learning curve, as MathAudio itself is incredibly easy.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Been using MathAudio RoomEQ for Foobar for about a year now myself and love it. I have no experience with any other DRCs other than that of my Pioneer AVRs MCACC multichannel option. Just wish I'd bought the UMIK-1 and started earlier.

I am using it along with Hifi Cast on a Minix Neo U1 (as a control point) to UPnP stream from my NAS via USB to a Topping DX3 Pro. Amplification is either a Lazarus H-1A or a VTL ST-85. I am using Tannoy V12s with three subs and am getting a flat response from 20Hz. I love the simplicity of RoomEQ as it took all of about 20 minutes to rerun the setup for the second amplifier!

With the Lazarus... View attachment 184841

With the VTL ST-85... View attachment 184843

My only issue/negative is that for some reason it does not seem to load the last used configuration file but given that this is free software, I certainly have to say that this is a very minor point.

Would love to hear other people's thoughts. It seems to me that the only issue for most people is the initial Foobar setup learning curve, as MathAudio itself is incredibly easy.
There is in Foobar a feature where you can setup your preferd dsp setting. Im not at home will have a look later .

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is in Foobar a feature where you can setup your preferd dsp setting. Im not at home will have a look later .
Thanks. Foobar loads RoomEQ fine but for some reason doesn't use the last configuration file but defaults to the Lazarus file. Not a problem really but may ask the developer on the Hydrogenaudio forum...

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Foobar loads RoomEQ fine but for some reason doesn't use the last configuration file but defaults to the Lazarus file. Not a problem really but may ask the developer on the Hydrogenaudio forum..
For what it's worth i don't choose my Mathaudio configuration any more in Mathaudio but direct in Foobar. It is always the same configuration. Setup has to be done under DSP chain presets. You see ther my both added speakers IMF an VDS. thats it.

DSP chain Foobar.jpg

An yes the simplicity is amazing. It is a one stop shop REW & APO in one solution.
I know you can have many different sort of filters in REW. Not only Mathaudio is simpel to work with the end results IMO are just great. For an free solution it's Unbelievable.

Last edited:

Golf

Hi there!

New to this forum and therefore new to this thread.

I’m using MathAudio Room EQ together with Audirvana for a good while now (on a Windows 10 machine), and I’m quite happy with it.

What I still don’t seem to fully understand is how a handle the »Reference line«, green in the attached pic. What would be its »correct« position (or even shape)?

Thanks!

1662492595478.png

Sokel

Master Contributor
What I still don’t seem to fully understand is how a handle the »Reference line«, green in the attached pic. What would be its »correct« position (or even shape)?

Thanks!

View attachment 229175
You use the slider at the right of the chart to lower it until you flat your Frequency response cutting the peaks until you get the target you want.
You can do for the whole area or specific points after some trial and error.
Or you can use your mouse and the mouse wheel for fine tuning per channel.Best thing about it,you can hear the before and after (after adjusting the gain slider to match the volume) simply by ticking "room EQ" and "Bypass" back and forth.
As is in the pic simply does nothing.

ccc118

I wasn't aware of this before. I've been doing some room correction lately and this looks interesting.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't aware of this before. I've been doing some room correction lately and this looks interesting.
Wondering what type/brand speakers are you using and how many filters (measurements) did you made.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I"m not so much a manual reader but using mathaudio or any other DSP it is quite neccecary. https://mathaudio.com/room-eq.htm

Enclosed a part of this manual. Green Line becomes white that implies you start to use the correction mode in Mathaudio room eq

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-07-05-54-25-546_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-07-05-54-25-546_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 82

Sokel

Master Contributor
Good thing is that unlike some holistic solutions that prevents us for using Asio drivers to match the sample rate and have to be used with a fixed one,Mathaudio works fine and does not have that need,it will just follow the original sample rate without the need of a fixed one.
Where it not works is with DSD,as many DSP components that alter level.

Golf

As is in the pic simply does nothing.
Well, it makes quite some difference, as I can tell from toggling between the »Room EQ« and »Bypass« buttons.

You use the slider at the right of the chart to lower it until you flat your Frequency response cutting the peaks until you get the target you want.
For my ears (and with my »system«) moving the reference frequency line down results in a sound that is more and more dull, losing its crispness.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Well, it makes quite some difference, as I can tell from toggling between the »Room EQ« and »Bypass« buttons.

For my ears (and with my »system«) moving the reference frequency line down results in a sound that is more and more dull, losing its crispness.
You don't have to make a straight line,at most cases cutting the peaks a little does the trick.Specially in the lows were all systems in normal rooms have some problems.
But that's another matter,thing is that you draw your own lines with mouse.
And something else when you compare:
Always,always,always match the volume (with the gain slider) between EQ'd and bypassed sound or else you will probably prefer the louder one.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I’m aware of that, thank you! :cool:
Make sure you make at least the number of measurements the manual says,7-10 if I remember well around your listening position.
I'm telling you that because your measurement seems a little strange,as if it was made way lower than the tweeter height.
Have fun!

Golf

So – should the shape and position of my reference frequency line be of a kind that sort of follows the measured frequency »waves« but lies beneath them, like this?

1662544406092.png

Sokel

Master Contributor
So – should the shape and position of my reference frequency line be of a kind that sort of follows the measured frequency »waves« but lies beneath them, like this?

View attachment 229265
No,not at all!
In the measurement I see I would lower the slider as is (the neutral one) to about -7db and leave it there.
You don't have to make the whole line white lowering it to -30db.
Just cut the large peaks until 1KHz.
And measure again,this measurement is not right for sure!

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 229265

The shape must correspond what your preference is quite personal. My shape is a flatline for my farfield speakers (see pictures at the top of this topic) for my monitors its quite different. Did you make with your mic a horizontal or a vertical measurement.

Golf

Snarfie said:
The shape must correspond what your preference is quite personal.
OK, I understand that. But then why is also its position that important?

Top Bottom