• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New_Guy

Hi, Team.

Wondering if there is a rule of thumb here, in terms gain matching your prepro and amps, in a separates config….
I have a very poor understanding here.
I read about clipping, and ensuring enough voltage on the pre-outs to enable max output from your amp.

Is there not protection built into modern amps, to ensure they can accept a wide range of voltage at their inputs?

What’s the greatest point of concern?
A) not enough output from pre-outs?
Or
B) too much output at pre-outs?

I’m looking at the Anthem AVM70 prepro.
I already have a Emotiva BasX A3 and A5.
The Emotivas are:
  • Input Sensitivity (for rated power; 8 Ohm load): 1.25 V.
  • Gain: 29 dB.
The ASR review of the AVM70 was @ 4V RMS I believe, but the spec sheet on the AVM70 says 10.7V RMS max (I’m guessing that’s @ref volume???).

Comparing the two, it makes me concerned that the AVM70 may have too much output voltage at its preouts, for the Emotivas.
Is the AVM70 “too powerful”?

I wish I could see some sort of data product showing voltage response, to better understand.

Bed layer is all 4ohm (arendal 1961).
4 Atmos channels are 8ohm (RSL C34E).

Is there an issue w/running the AVM70 with the Emotivas, from a technical perspective?

I feel real dumb here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Comparing the two, it makes me concerned that the AVM70 may have too much output voltage at its preouts, for the Emotivas.

I presume there is a volume knob on the pre.

Judicious use will prevent overdriving the amplifier.

My pre will output 12V, my amps only need 2.45V for full output.

The pre and amp are made for each other.

The pre volume control is marked 0 - 151, no units specified..

Typical listening is about 40.

Spirited listening can be considerably higher on the dial.

I don't worry about it.

Top Bottom