• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

matching different amps for bi-amping

kenshone

Hello forum,

Can someone with some EE/electronics knowledge help me understand how I would match the output levels of two different amps, so that when bi-amping a speaker (amp 1 to the tweeters, amp 2 to the mid/bass) the sound remains balanced regardless of the power of the input signal to the amplifiers?

I imagine that setting both amps to unity could be an easy way, but I'm not sure.

I'm sure there are more sophisticated ways to approach this -- hopefully short of setting up an active crossover. Pointers to articles and wikis are highly welcome!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
An easy alternative is to use test tones and a voltmeter. Set the volume on a moderately low setting. Without changing the volume, run a test tone an octave or two below crossover and measure the woofer amp output voltage. Then run a test tone an octave above crossover and measure the tweeter amp output voltage. Adjust so they're equal.

If you have a couple of resistors laying around of equal value and greater than, say, 4R (and they can be as large as you like assuming you have solid state amps), then use them in place of the speakers, run a test tone at, say, 100 Hz (not critical), and adjust for equal voltage outputs of the power amps. Then you can hook your speakers back up and enjoy. (This assumes you're not using an electronic crossover)

Sokel

Master Contributor
It's also usefull to adjust and match the input before the amps (both between amps and channels),don't take the balance for granted ,it will make things a lot easier on the other end.

GIEGAR

-- hopefully short of setting up an active crossover.
Unless you are setting up an active crossover, I don't know why you'd go to the trouble. Passive bi-amping (filter network after the amps) makes no net electrical difference in routine use.

Assuming your use case is still that outlined in your other passive bi-amping thread, you're not achieving anything worthwhile with this because the system's output capability is still limited by the less powerful HF amp clipping as both amps are being sent identical pre-amp signals. The only way to increase system output capability by any meaningful amount in this scenario is to send the amps band-limited signals - i.e. active bi-amp.

Here's the first of two articles on bi-amping by Rod Elliott. (To be clear, Rod's laying out the advantages of active bi-amping; these advantages don't accrue with passive bi-amping.)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Some more info.

Top Bottom