• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

match speakers with pioneers sx780

mrpunkk

Hi, I'm new to the forum and wanted to start with a simple question. I`m about to buy new speakers for my old pioneer, now i have a pair of jbl es20, and i want to improve the sound.I am between klipsh rp600m, monitor audio bronze 100, elac debut 2.0 b6.2 and dali oberon 1. I mainly listen to metal, punk rock and some classic rock and jazz, any recommendations? I was seeing some reviews, but I did not find all the speakers.
would changing my jbl to one of these others make a significant change?
thank you very much for giving me your knowledge.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Definitely get the Elacs from that list. es20 are probably better than RP-600M. not too familiar with the others, but I am pretty sure the Elacs are better than those too. However, the better Elac DBR62 is the model to get in the $600 price range. those are outstanding.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If you listen to metal and punk at decent level, you'll need efficient speakers. It's a 45wpc rated reciever that puts out only marginally more. The SX-780 also uses Sanyo thick film hybrids (STK-0050) which are not exactly robust into lower impedances. They are also NLA if you blow them.

I would suggest finding yourself a pair of larger, efficient vintage Cerwin Vegas or bigger (12" 3 way) style JBLs with a nominal 8R impedance.

OP
M

mrpunkk

I was looking at the reviews of the speakers, and I found the jbl a130, which are available in my country, what do you think? The Cerwin Vega I don't think I can find them here

eriksson

Forum Donor
From your list I would be most excited about the Dali and Elac. The former got EISA awards and seems offer good sound/price ratio. But rated at 86db sensitivity it won't play very loud with your amp.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
From your list I would be most excited about the Dali and Elac. The former got EISA awards and seems offer good sound/price ratio.

Neither of those speakers will do the slightest justice to Punk, Metal or Rock. That's what the OP wants them for.

The little Dalis are cute, but little different to the Dali Zensor 1s. They have no bass to speak of and easily are overdriven. They are a tiny bookshelf speaker and the Elacs are not much better with both having low efficiency. He only has 45wpc to play with.

eriksson

Forum Donor
Neither of those speakers will do the slightest justice to Punk, Metal or Rock. That's what the OP wants them for.

The little Dalis are cute, but little different to the Dali Zensor 1s. They have no bass to speak of and easily are overdriven. They are a tiny bookshelf speaker and the Elacs are not much better with both having low efficiency. He only has 45wpc to play with.
I agree, but judging from the OP's list I presume he is looking for small bookshelf speakers. Perhaps throw sub into the mix?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd think about speakers and subs I wanted to use before using some limited ancient receiver.....

Top Bottom