• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mastering/Mixing/Studio Use Headphone DSP Recommendations

Ponyboy

Hi,

I've recently had to relocate to temporary space where using studio monitors is not going to work. I'll be investing in some headphones (one closed back for general use, and another open-back for studio/mixing duties). Yes, I am aware of the argument for not mastering/mixing on headphones, but the talk and feedback on Slate's VSX, other DSP options out there, and the use of headphones by some notable engineers, have me fairly convinced that headphones can work well during situations where monitors are not an option. So, while I can/will check my mixes on monitors off-site (Genelecs), I'd like to hear what studio people are using with their headphones and how they're using it. I've tried Sonarworks but something felt off to me. Are you using only EQ, or going into room emulations (Realspace), crossfeed DSP (Can Opener)? What has worked well for you? How have things translated for you?

Thanks,

markanini

Major Contributor
You wont be able to translate without referencing with speakers. What does your room look like? Do you have a drawing of it?

OP
P

Ponyboy

Hi markanini,

I’m prepping for another move shortly so my studio is mostly packed. I have a tentative location which will comprise either an unfinished basement or a medium sized bedroom. It may be the case that I’ll frame up a studio which would be nice

I’ve been able to survive the last months by having friends listen to mixes on monitors while I adjust based on their feedback.

In the interim, I’m still having to get by with cans.

markanini

Major Contributor
I'd still say focus on your speaker situation. Because assuming you find a headphone setup that matches a speakers-in-a-room sound it will likely sound different from your specific room. A viable near field setup can be achieved even in difficult rooms.

Choose a room that's more rectangular than square and place the speakers so that the sound shoots out the long side. Place them as little as 3.5 ft apart and dont be afraid to have the speakers almost touch the back wall. Conversely placing the sperakers wide and far from the walls will introduce nulls in the low end and increase interference from reflections.

samwell7

I'm not well-versed in it but I've heard Sonarworks works well.

Realistically you're going to need a few sets of headphones to check things across the spectrum, I used to use Sony MDR-7520s for most of the work, AKG K702s to make sure the treble wasn't too harsh and then some cheap 'DJ' headphones (AKG K518) with boomy bass to make sure the bass wasn't bloated.

Could potentially use Sennheiser HD600s and AKG K371s (the MDR-7520 aren't available any more) I've also heard good things about the Austrian Audio headphones or the Shure SRH940s.

You'll also need to get used to whichever headphones you use so you know how things 'should' sound.

Good luck!

Top Bottom