• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Index of Measurement Comparison Charts [Defunct]

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Thanks for the works. This summary thread is very helpful.

Is price/performance charts available somehow?
Thanks.

About the charts, I have no plans to make them currently.

martijn86

Only if you normalize the performance value where maybe -120dB would get a rating of 100 and -85dB would get a rating of 50. But that wouldn't factor in other measurements and ofcourse there is more to a product then straight measured performance. I see what you're getting at though but I don't think shopping advice is what ASR is intended for.

AndrewDavis

Tell my family I'll see them next Wednesday after I go through all this.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
This is great, just what I was looking for to compare measurements, thanks. One thing that would make it even more useful though was if the text was searchable instead of images, so I can just use my browser's 'find on page' function to search for any particular device. Would this be possible? Maximum frequency response deviation from flat between 20Hz and 20kHz would also be a nice addition.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
This is great, just what I was looking for to compare measurements, thanks. One thing that would make it even more useful though was if the text was searchable instead of images, so I can just use my browser's 'find on page' function to search for any particular device. Would this be possible? Maximum frequency response deviation from flat between 20Hz and 20kHz would also be a nice addition.
Thanks @bobbooo

I'm in the middle of assigning links to device names/measurements. See Post #2 above.

In most cases the deviation from the audible range is very slight. There are only a few measured devices where it's a significant factor in performance.

Edit: Like the iBasso DX120

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Last edited:

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Comparison of DAC SINAD Measurements

Number of Entries: 199
Date Updated: 7 September 2019
poz, I think you have got some numbers mixed up. For instance Topping D50 was -109 dB where as you have got it down as -106. Let me look at the others just to make sure that we have got the database right.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
poz, I think you have got some numbers mixed up. For instance Topping D50 was -109 dB where as you have got it down as -106. Let me look at the others just to make sure that we have got the database right.
I got the numbers from the SMSL SU-8 review. I'll change it to the figure Amir posted in the updated Topping D50 review.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
That's not easy to do. many of the products have different prices, availability depending on what market (EU, ASIA, US)
Taxes and import duties also play a big role. So you have to find a retailer in your part of the world and compare prices.
There are other criteria that you have to take in account. Like build and functions. Doing a price / performance chart is not necessary.
Best amp = Atom. Best DAC = Khadas board if you use the SINAD as the only measurement.
Do they have the features I need? No.
You'll have to do the legwork yourself.
It's a sum of the features, quality, performance and the price you're willing to pay.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
That's not easy to do. many of the products have different prices, availability depending on what market (EU, ASIA, US)
Taxes and import duties also play a big role. So you have to find a retailer in your part of the world and compare prices.
There are other criteria that you have to take in account. Like build and functions. Doing a price / performance chart is not necessary.
Best amp = Atom. Best DAC = Khadas board if you use the SINAD as the only measurement.
Do they have the features I need? No.
You'll have to do the legwork yourself.
It's a sum of the features, quality, performance and the price you're willing to pay.
What @M00ndancer said about assessing a product's overall performance and features is absolutely correct. Showing the true cost of obtaining a piece of gear is also beyond what I can do.

However, I did make scatterplots of original MSRP vs. SINAD and other measures in this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sinad-vs.9329/

confucius_zero

@pozz, can you update the DAC sinad chart plz?

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@pozz, can you update the DAC sinad chart plz?
I'll do it as soon as I can. These haven't been touched in a while because, hopefully soon, we'll have something better for comparison.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
Isn't it possible to run those lists from a DB and show in a datagrid ?
Some filtering/sorting criteria could be included, like cost (category), type of inputs, outputs, volume control, supported freq rates, HP amp, "Recommended" or not...
That would be very useful, I think.

As an example:
I'm looking for a cheap DAC (<$300€) with 192kHz support, USB in and SPDIF out.
What are the options and how do they rank by SINAD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom