• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Index of Measurement Comparison Charts [Defunct]

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Hi
Isn't it possible to run those lists from a DB and show in a datagrid ?
Some filtering/sorting criteria could be included, like cost (category), type of inputs, outputs, volume control, supported freq rates, HP amp, "Recommended" or not...
That would be very useful, I think.

As an example:
I'm looking for a cheap DAC (<$300€) with 192kHz support, USB in and SPDIF out.
What are the options and how do they rank by SINAD ?
Most sure, but some (inputs/outputs and supported sample rates/file types) is more work than I can do unless I suddenly retire.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
If someone wants to start create a spreadsheet for the feature set, we can integrate it over time. It is tremendous amount of work though.
If anyone does want to put in the work, please message me so that we can plan it properly, not duplicate efforts or spend a lot of time fixing entries or formatting.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If anyone does want to put in the work, please message me so that we can plan it properly, not duplicate efforts or spend a lot of time fixing entries or formatting.
I think I can give it a try. At least start a format and populate a few entries.
If that becomes a community effort, than that can be fast.
Some details are hard to find, but if every device owner helps...

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I think I can give it a try. At least start a format and populate a few entries.
If that becomes a community effort, tgan that can be fast.
Some details are hard to find, but if every device owner helps...
OK. I'll pm you.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've looked but not found anything so correct me if I'm wrong...

This looks like a good candidate for a database with some kind of web front end?

I'm reasonably competent with PHP / MySQL so could import data from a spreadsheet, and make the whole lot searchable, and display as required? (may possibly need a little help/input with some of it).

It would also be possible to create graphs inline based on the available data.

I would be happy to have a go at developing something, and then @amirm could host it on the same server as this site (assuming MySQL / MariaDB support) - I'm hopeless at MSSSQL lol.

I wrote the code and front end for the very basic DAC list at https://daclist.dnsbits.net as an example (I host this as well).

I also wrote the front end and database code for https://vintagetechnics.audio (which I also host)

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I've looked but not found anything so correct me if I'm wrong...

This looks like a good candidate for a database with some kind of web front end?

I'm reasonably competent with PHP / MySQL so could import data from a spreadsheet, and make the whole lot searchable, and display as required? (may possibly need a little help/input with some of it).

It would also be possible to create graphs inline based on the available data.

I would be happy to have a go at developing something, and then @amirm could host it on the same server as this site (assuming MySQL / MariaDB support) - I'm hopeless at MSSSQL lol.

I wrote the code and front end for the very basic DAC list at https://daclist.dnsbits.net as an example (I host this as well).

I also wrote the front end and database code for https://vintagetechnics.audio (which I also host)
I've PMed you.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's another idea: the biggest issue is maintaining this, since there are reviews coming out every day.
What if the graph and links reads the data from an online google spreadsheet, so that a few select people can help updating the spreadsheet (restricted access)?

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Sure. Once I finish it and release the beta versions that would be really helpful.

martijn86

What if the graph and links reads the data from an online google spreadsheet, so that a few select people can help updating the spreadsheet (restricted access)?
I have very little experience with database management but I do like streamlined processes with very little complexity in terms of steps, conversions and manual maintenance. After some searching I discovered that Amirm's Audio Precision analyser has the option to export all values to CVS. That would contain a dataset that could be imported to a database. Am I thinking in the right direction?

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I have very little experience with database management but I do like streamlined processes with very little complexity in terms of steps, conversions and manual maintenance. After some searching I discovered that Amirm's Audio Precision analyser has the option to export all values to CVS. That would contain a dataset that could be imported to a database. Am I thinking in the right direction?
That would actually add to @amirm's workload, if I'm not mistaken. There are two AP modes (I can't remember the names): one is automated and spits out a sheet of values and charts like the reports you see Schiit Audio posting. The other is the manual mode Amir uses. He would have to export multiple times over the course of a series of measurements, and then prepare them to be imported into a database.

I think maybe something could be worked out in the future but it would require the AP software to be more configurable than it is.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Let's say the spreadsheet/interface I'm building now eventually becomes obsolete and more capable people have to take over, add checks and automations and a heavy front end. I'm confident that the whole thing could be imported into a more robust database structure without problems.

The scale of that undertaking would probably need more than a few fulltimers to really work though.

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After some searching I discovered that Amirm's Audio Precision analyser has the option to export all values to CVS. That would contain a dataset that could be imported to a database. Am I thinking in the right direction?

@martijn86

A spreadsheet (whether CSV which is just plain text or XLSX etc..) consists of rows and columns which contain data.

In it's most simple form, a database also contains rows and columns of data.

Importing data from a spreadsheet into a database is relatively trivial (this does of course depend on the size of the spreadsheet, how many rows / columns of data) but it's relatively straightforward.

You would create a database structure with corresponding row and column names and import the data (this is a very simple explanation).

The tricky part is extracting the data you want with SQL queries, which can get quite complex if you want to extract specific rows and columns of data.

You then need an interface which can display that data in the required format to the screen.

I'm not sure if this is the explanation you were looking for.

TLDR; In an ideal world, Amir would be able to export his data directly to a database to eliminate the intermediate step of exporting to a CSV first.

However, with a standardised database and CSV structure, importing fresh data to an existing database would be trivial.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
For a look at the manual side:

Electronics Reviews:
1579959055801.png

Speaker Reviews:
1579959214346.png

Measurements: