• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Index for Audio Hardware Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillH

Forum Donor
I count 182 audio equipment reviews (with measurements)
ASR has moved audio science forward like nothing I've seen!
thanks Amir
Bill

m8o

Forum Donor
I only discovered this site recently. Fantastic body of work.

Just spent hours catching up with reviews of items that interest me or I own. Some heart break, but not much; and I can take it. LOL

Keep up the great work!

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anyone ever sent you a Sony WM1A / WM1Z to review?

woody

Would you ever review a Schiit Magni 2? I would totally be willing to send mine over.

weap0nkil

Can you list some of these items as top picks or a percentage of how good you think the item is. Example siskel and ebert gives two thumbs up, lol

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can you list some of these items as top picks or a percentage of how good you think the item is. Example siskel and ebert gives two thumbs up, lol
We have debated this before and consensus has been that I should not do that. Putting that aside, my top picks that come to mind are JDS Labs atom and Massdrop THX AAA 789 headphone amplifiers. Topping DX3 Pro for combo DAC and headphone amp. SMSL SU-8 for balanced dac at bargain price. Octo research DAC8 for multi-channel (or even stereo) dac. Khadas Tone board for a bare board DAC.

weap0nkil

thanks for some highlighted picks. I have the Sennheiser 650HDs but prob will buy some higher end headphones soon. What would you suggest to buy that would drive those headphones and also the ability to hook up a good pair of studio speakers?

D

Deleted member 4360

We have debated this before and consensus has been that I should not do that. Putting that aside, my top picks that come to mind are JDS Labs atom and Massdrop THX AAA 789 headphone amplifiers. Topping DX3 Pro for combo DAC and headphone amp. SMSL SU-8 for balanced dac at bargain price. Octo research DAC8 for multi-channel (or even stereo) dac. Khadas Tone board for a bare board DAC.
No D50 for single ended DAC?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No D50 for single ended DAC?
It is the same price as SMSL SU-80 but doesn't have a remote, nor balanced output. It is a good fit for JDS Labs Atom though from looks point of view.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
thanks for some highlighted picks. I have the Sennheiser 650HDs but prob will buy some higher end headphones soon. What would you suggest to buy that would drive those headphones and also the ability to hook up a good pair of studio speakers?
DX3 Pro as that is what I use in exactly the same situation. Unfortunately there are some reliability issues reported on it so if you go that way, be sure to buy it from Amazon and such for easy return and use it heavily during your return period.

If you don't want to go that route, then the combination of Topping D10 or D50 are good with JDS Labs Atom.

D

Deleted member 4360

It is the same price as SMSL SU-80 but doesn't have a remote, nor balanced output. It is a good fit for JDS Labs Atom though from looks point of view.
Bingo and it fits so nicely!

Attachments

• Atom D50.jpg
    Atom D50.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,024

weap0nkil

DX3 Pro as that is what I use in exactly the same situation. Unfortunately there are some reliability issues reported on it so if you go that way, be sure to buy it from Amazon and such for easy return and use it heavily during your return period.

If you don't want to go that route, then the combination of Topping D10 or D50 are good with JDS Labs Atom.

Will the DX3Pro work well with a heavy amount of PC Gaming? I hear these units will make the soundstage sound better so that would mean it would at least not hinder my pc gaming correct?

weap0nkil

How does the
DX3Pro compare to the grace design m900?

KR8NUX

Will the DX3Pro work well with a heavy amount of PC Gaming? I hear these units will make the soundstage sound better so that would mean it would at least not hinder my pc gaming correct?

Where did you get such information ? DACs are not HRTF DSPs. There is no difference in soundstage between one transparent DAC to another.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As noted there is no processing in any of these DACs so what the game delivers, is what you hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom