• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks. The MTM design decision is interesting for a nearfield application – surely dispersion patterns matter less in the nearfield, though I could be assuming things – so maybe they were going for limited desk reflections?
Glad to see yourmando filled you in on the response. Yes, the MTM supposedly helps with the desk reflections, and the speaks would normally be tilted up to point at your ears, helping that a little more. I've seen (via youtube) recording studios having them on their side, but it doesn't look like a good idea. And you'd have to have them on a platform at ear level (no pun intended). I think they mainly supply the base for that for use as center channel, keeping a low profile. IK Multimedia says that mic stands are ideal, getting away from desk reflections altogether.

The speakers sound fairly accurate. I don't sit around listening to music all the time unless it's something of mine I'm working on, but listening to a variety to get used to the speakers capabilities, I've heard a number of things I didn't notice before in casual listening—a screaming hot vocal that's clearly capturing some amp buzz in the vocal mic, etc. I think they'll work out well for what I want to use them for.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are nearfield in-room measurements, which is the average of several locations centered around the MLP. This is from a recent Dirac calibration, but here I'm showing the average response before any Dirac room correction (but after the speaker's built in DSP calibration).

Here is one pair, set up as left & right surrounds. DSP settings are set to calibrated, 40hz extension, with bass and treble set to flat:

Here is another pair, set up as rear surrounds. This time, the DSP is set to -2db treble and +2db bass boost, 40hz extension.

As you can see, the flat calibration brings it pretty flat in-room, w/ no downward sloping curve. To sonically integrate these, I applied a tilted room curve to match my other speakers (and I'm also crossing over to 3 subs w/ bass control). The variation in the bass due to room location was of course tightened with the room correction.
At first glance, those would sound bright. I take it those measurements are from your seat 6-10 feet away so they include the room's influence? Very wide dispersion could be the reason for the lack of slope. Also I take it you don't listen very loud, as the reviews state that they are very SPL-limited with the 40 Hz setting.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
That is the strangest looking DAC I've ever seen. Does it open up like a transformer? I'm expecting some kind of functionality there.

It's a clip to attach to clothing, a belt etc. as it's a tiny, lightweight portable DAC/amp with optional Bluetooth (including LDAC) connectivity (not to mention a hardware parametric equalizer).

yourmando

At first glance, those would sound bright. I take it those measurements are from your seat 6-10 feet away so they include the room's influence? Very wide dispersion could be the reason for the lack of slope. Also I take it you don't listen very loud, as the reviews state that they are very SPL-limited with the 40 Hz setting.

Measurements are averaged on and around the MLP which is about 5ft from all 4 of those iLoud MTM surrounds (average contains many measurements around that MLP spot as well, roughly around 2 couch seats). Yes, these includes the room's influence from this nearfield position.

Dispersion is likely wide, given the narrow width of the baffle and the 3.5" size of the little woofers.

Actually @napilopez measured the quasi-anechoic spinorama of the little brother iLoud Micro. I believe it has the same baffle width and drivers (but only 1 woofer) so dispersion width should be similar (the iLoud MTM vertical directivity should be narrower due to the MTM configuration).

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-and-quasi-anechoic-spinorama.10988/

Yes, I think the built in ARC dsp targets flat in-room, which would sound bright. But I tilt that down to match my other speakers w/ Dirac, or it can be done w/ tone controls.

My SPL is not limited by the 40hz extension, because I'm crossing over to an array of 3 subwoofers. I can get as loud as I'd ever want w/ this nearfield setup & subs. For example, with an 80hz crossover, the iLoud MTM would be about 25db down at 40hz, while the subs would be taking nearly 100% of the load there. I'm crossing these over at a bit higher than 80hz at the moment.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched the website timer ran out, while the discount stayed the same. o_O
I guess they extended the timer to cover Cyber Monday.

Also, I can't figure out how you're up at 4:30am!? Don't you sleep?

Now the website has no timer and it says Cyber Week :D

I hope they aren’t selling as well due to Amir :eek:
Don‘t know if he cares, but he already re-measured them and this is the Spin:
Spinorama 4.png
Odd how the tweeter level is a little hot, when the RC263 was neutral:
Spinorama 5.png

If crossing over to a sub, you still may be better of with using the RC263 as your mains. That is out of the question for me due to space though.

The RC263 uses a 4” midrange instead of a 5.25” which the towers use, so directivity matching with the tweeter is a lot better, the 6.5” woofers however have a mismatch which is easily seen in the horizontal off-axis, but maybe due to the center design, there is almost no vertical issues at the woofer<->mid crossover, so it’s the opposite with the R253 (horizontal performance at woofer<->mid good, vertical performance at woofer<->mid poor).

RC263: $300/pair
R253: $320/pair
R263: $400/pair
____
Also, I do sleep, I wake up around 4:30-5am; I have to leave ~6:30 for work.

Last edited:

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We have a 1150sq ft 2 bedroom 1 bath house, . We are putting new flooring in the upstairs 350 sq ft bedroom, so we are down to 1 bed 1 bath 800 sq ft. I have 2 sets of speakers in the basement. We just moved back from overseas and in between what came back from storage and there we have way too much stuff.
And this is in my cart, my wife would justifiably kill me. :oops:

1606828143431.png

Any thoughts on the RS152 as side and heights? I might still pick these up and do the Revel in walls for the front stage later when I actually put this new 5.2.4 setup together. My thinking is probably not as good as 'traditional' speakers but better form factor for those spaces than the R152 or R156 from a depth and rear port standpoint.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We have a 1150sq ft 2 bedroom 1 bath house, . We are putting new flooring in the upstairs 350 sq ft bedroom, so we are down to 1 bed 1 bath 800 sq ft. I have 2 sets of speakers in the basement. We just moved back from overseas and in between what came back from storage and there we have way too much stuff.
And this is in my cart, my wife would justifiably kill me. :oops:

View attachment 96749

Any thoughts on the RS152 as side and heights? I might still pick these up and do the Revel in walls for the front stage later when I actually put this new 5.2.4 setup together. My thinking is probably not as good as 'traditional' speakers but better form factor for those spaces than the R152 or R156 from a depth and rear port standpoint.
Not sure about as heights; I bought a pair and Amir is going to measure them, though the review probably won’t be till next year, as it’s backordered.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The RS152 will be a difficult speaker to measure. I'm already skeptical that the Klippel can produce relatable results.
Which is why I thought it would be interesting. If it were a simple bipole/dipole, then they would be interesting, but not as much. The woofer being on the rear and them claiming no hot/cold spots (which bipole/dipole speakers have), makes it very intriguing (I have no clue how they can have no phase boots/cancellations at 0°).
I don’t think the NFS will have too much trouble though, it’s not like the R253 with dual rear ports and dual woofers, the RS152 is dual tweeters and just a single sealed woofer.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So where do you center the mic? At the half way point?

It may or may not end up being how they're listened to once installed.

And a major point: they must be against a boundary. If not, they don't measure or work as intended.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 bookshelves in white for $199 on Amazon, plus others in the line.
Stereophile measurements
Also available in Black now for $199 (was $299)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011U1XKWM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This may matter. I was able to cancel my white order from yesterday and get the Black. Much better match for my tastes. (not like I need more speakers but hey...)

Here is a cutaway. Well designed speaker for $200. Excited to see how it sounds and I have many speakers here to compare/contrast with.
1606937689251.png

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Studio Monitor (for US buyers):
Behringer TRUTH B2031A
Normally US$218/ea on amazon.com, now on sale for US$174/ea (20% drop) on guitarcenter.com
Amazon, sweetwater is showing regular price.

I only found in-room (not anechoic) measurements and several tear-down photos.

As you can see from the photo...
The Truth 2031A's are a design stolen from Genelec, the 1031A, made from 1991-2005.
1606939255885.png

MarkyM

I received mine today and no cipher cable. Did you get one?
I received my iSine 10 today and no cipher cable. I didn’t expect it at that price. But I don’t need it as I am using it with Roon off my iPad which includes a DSP preset for the iSine 10.
Once I found the right tips for my ears (which is critical for bass) and figured out the ear clips, I think they sound really good! (with the DSP preset engaged).

Top Bottom