• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

maty

Major Contributor
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=161371.msg1766197#msg1766197

by poseidonsvoice
In the graphs you posted, the 320dB vertical range makes the curves look purposefully and artificially flat. Great for marketing, but poor for engineering and seeing the truth. Tell the OP on Imgur to set it to a 50dB scale and try again. 1/12th or 1/6th octave smoothing for the horizontal range should give us a decent idea of the FR in a room which is the best you can do. Or tell the OP to take it back to KEF’s anechoic chamber to get it properly measured!

by maty
I know it is artificially flat smoothed out, like many others graphs. The major difference with KEF Q100 is they have "V" response, easily modified with a new crossover taking advantage of the original components to spend money (Zvu) or with minimum-phase PEQ.

* Minimum Phase vs Linear Phase | Page 7 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
* Minimum Phase vs Linear Phase | Page 16 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Let us see if someone is encouraged and makes complete measurements, without softening the frequency response like Zvu or Danny Richie.

But for now...

Updated the graph: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hread-on-audio-product-sales.3118/post-264192

Resized and optimized

50 dB scale and a 1/12th octave horizontal smoothing.

index.php

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Monday is 11/11, so curious if anyone has any info on the upcoming audio sales. Here are some basics:
  • AliExpress: 11/11 prices are out already, and looks like 10% off across the board for DACs, DAC/amps, etc.
  • ShenzenAudio: I clicked on their 11.11 sale link (the URL also references Black Friday) and only saw a handful of items with sale prices. That may change on 11/11.
  • HiFi Express: so far I haven't see any references to an 11/11 sale.
  • Apos: I haven't seen any references to an 11/11 sale. That said, they don't need one: they're doing price matching until the end of 2019.

hmendes

Yamaha WXA-50 on Amazon for $362 instead of $499 (and looks like you can get an extra 20% off of it).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 tablet is on sale on amazon at 450 - lowest price. Regular before that was 550, and MSRP is 650. Still has headphone jack! and microSD slot.
Thanks for this. Bought it and it works so much better than my 3 year old Samsung Tablet. Had dismissed it due to high cost before.

maty

Major Contributor
KEF Q150 frequency response with better scales:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.p...nbas485ii4&topic=161371.msg1766428#msg1766428

by BigLaure
This is a response to the feedback I had on the measurements I made. I see now that they can be very misleading if you do not pay attention to the scale. So here are the new measurements (that I just made) of my KEF Q150. I used a 50 dB scale and a 1/12th octave horizontal smoothing.

The measurements were made with a MiniDSP Umik-1 (with the calibration file) at 75 dB (pink noise)...

Resized and optimized

KEF-Q150-frequency-50db-1-12.png

Last edited:

Fregly

Supposedly the Focal Elex will be on sale for $600 at drop.com on 11/11.
Do you recommend these -- how are the measurements? Oluv was raving about them in his unboxing vid. I've stopped spending this kind of money on headphones. If the Elex is actually a standout I may indulge.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you recommend these -- how are the measurements? Oluv was raving about them in his unboxing vid. I've stopped spending this kind of money on headphones. If the Elex is actually a standout I may indulge.

Recommendations on headphones are hard because they're so personal. Here is a subjective comparison of the Elex to the HD58X that I wrote on the basis of a relatively brief time with the Elex.

https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd58x-vs-focal-elex-comparison

In measurements the Elex shows better subbass extension and slightly lower distortion than the HD58X, but less smooth frequency response and what I would consider slightly brighter than neutral treble. Something to keep in mind is that Drop no longer seems to offer official Elex replacement earpads so you'd have to go with Focal Clear pads. Those might look weird on a black headphone, but more importantly they cost $200 which I find outrageous.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
oh crap, did i just miss all the 11.11 sales? i was sick all weekend :(

Top Bottom