• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Tks

Major Contributor
No email this time, sneaky.

Also same ship date as last batch.

Skeptical of that date. Since every drop they've done is 500 units or so.

The drop in February has been delayed from May to June.

They then offer a drop in April, due to ship September (Aug 30th, but lets be real). 500 units.

Now out of the blue, 1,000 units in May being offered, before the February units shipped AND that these new 1,000 units will ship at the same time from the prior 500 drop in April.

Then they say "this is probably be the last we see of THX for a while".

More like - this may be the last we see of any THX being shipped to anyone for a while...

And we're to believe suddenly with all their troubles, they will deliver on 1,500 units in the same timeframe (500 from April drop, and 1,000 now from this late-may drop) they've held to (but failed when they delayed the recent order that was due to ship in May).

This is looking like a recipe for disaster.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I did get the mail at the exact time of "drop" for the 789.

But I will pass on this. Shall let the amp delivery status evolve until it becomes like the HD6XX, when its a "next week" ship out schedule.

Besides, I'm very happy with my JDS Atom at this point.
Likewise my Matrix HPA-3B, the only thing that I don't really like about it is its heat emissions.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
It seems like the Atom is the most amp most people / cans will ever need.

Not that the THX AAA 789 is bad, but why spend more than the Atom unless one actually needs to?

It is!

Except in very special cases such as the Raal SR1A, its got enough clean power to drive practically all non-electrostatic headphones well.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Not that the THX AAA 789 is bad, but why spend more than the Atom unless one actually needs to?
I am asking myself that very question... I am drawn to just purchase and Atom and the Wetek Tone Board and have a $200-send-game combo :cool: ... But I already have a iFI nanoDSD (4 years old ) and don't see the point fearing (No! Knowing) , I may not hear any difference ... Still for a change ,,, naaaahhhh, I'll pass.
Note to Sal 1950 : See, what you have made of me!! :(

Tks

Major Contributor

Because the 789 isn't bought because you "need" it. There are a few differentiating factors though.

• "More power"

• "Balanced" for the sake of ground loops

• Possibly more heavy and a larger footprint stack to keep it from moving around much.

• 3 Gain settings.

• 3 Headphone connections (no need for adapters). I also think this means you can have multiple people listen to the source (though this is essentially ridiculous).

• Better channel matching (going by measurements, and a user who had two Atoms saying the channels on both aren't evenly balanced).

The difference between these two Amps is like sort of the difference between a DX3 Pro Dac vs an RME ADI 2 DAC. There's not technically a need for either for the majority of folks, but eh, you can deduce where I'm going.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Plugins sales

IZotope is usually pretty expensive. They are making a 50$ for music day which is very reasonable. Declipper, eq etc are included.

Offer link

DKT88

SweetVinyl has some less expense models of digital click and pop removal devices for vinyl available as a presale in North America only. Some now have a phono preamp.
Link

Last edited:

Grattle

Have you heard them both? I'm interested in some subjective opinions regarding the differences (if any) between the two. Particularly in detail presentation.

Grattle

Tks

Major Contributor
Recently a passive speaker that's been sold out since going public has returned on Amazon. No measurments that I know of (might be some on YouTube perhaps?). Been quite a bit of glowing appreciation for these especially the price it seems.

Micca RB42 on Amazon. $130 Prime shipping.

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
Recently a passive speaker that's been sold out since going public has returned on Amazon. No measurments that I know of (might be some on YouTube perhaps?). Been quite a bit of glowing appreciation for these especially the price it seems.

It's pretty sweet. 10-element xover. Very flat response through the midrange and treble. Bass is incredible for the size; they are essentially 4" subwoofer drivers. In-room, expect strong output down to the 40hz mark or so. Rock, hip-hop, etc rock the house on these. People will literally wonder where the subwoofer is.

Construction is ridiculously premium for the price - 3/4" thick MDF, magnetic grills, etc.

Downsides?

These speakers really want to be on stands IMO, which sort of defeats their small size a bit. Bass is actually overpowering if they're too close to a wall, though that can be fixed with EQ or tone controls. They are power-hungry, as you don't get "small enclosure plus lots of bass" for free. I would give them at least 50W of clean power.

Port chuffing is definitely a thing if you play test tones. However I didn't notice it during actual music.

Perhaps most importantly I think the tweeter is just alright. While the overall frequency response is nice and flat, I felt there was a lot of detail missing. I A/B'd them (sighted) with Pioneer BS22s and with complex classical music it was no contest; the Pioneers rendered lots of detail whereas the RB42s sounded more like a wall of noise.

They're not perfect, but they certainly are one of a kind. Don't know of any other commercial speakers of this size that would make me say "skip the subwoofer."

PS: Just to make your decision a little more complex, there's a MTM center channel version expected. Two of those in a stereo pair might be very very formidable. Though I'm not sure how the tweeter will be able to keep up with two of those mini-monsters.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sold out fast . Must have quite a reputation

1562110394699.png

Tks

Major Contributor
Yeah sold out within 24 hours again :\

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
YouTuber JoeNTell, who I know through Reddit, ran a budget audio room at the T.H.E. Audio Show last month. His room featured mainly Micca gear; primarily a $250 system featuring the RB42s plus their OriGain Class D amp. Micca provided a palette of RB42s and a number of Origain amps to sell for MSRP at the show. They had no problems selling the Micca gear, it went pretty quickly!

The positive response to a budget system really means something considering many of their visitors had just walked away from $50K or $150K systems. As I said above the RB42 aren't perfect but they don't embarrass themselves either. I don't know if I would consider them "audiophile" in terms of midrange detail, but they have a nice flat frequency response... premium construction, solid bass output, and tonal correctness at this price level would have been unheard of 10 years ago.

I think it's very cool that budget gear can make a good showing for itself like that. It's crucial for getting new blood into the industry and keeping the hobby alive. Amir's work at ASR is a crucial piece as well.

The audiophile well has been poisoned for too long by snake oil salesmen who traded short term gains in exchange for the long-term health of the industry. But, rays of hope like these give me some cautious optimism.

Last edited:
Top Bottom