• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Studio 590’s back on sale.
@amirm, would be good to test these. We know bass is a big part of preference score and the only measurements are on-axis. Even if directivity isn’t perfect, the bass probably bumps it up quite a bit.

I think these are the best $1000/pair speakers AS LONG as you can tolerate the looks and tolerate the fact they are a bit top heavy.

Attachments

• 6031CB7E-5DE7-4140-9486-579F93BA9B7D.jpeg
    6031CB7E-5DE7-4140-9486-579F93BA9B7D.jpeg
    903.9 KB · Views: 80

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
A recent build log from Skunkie on YT FYI. The beveled/non-perpendicular edge joint may be a little trickier for clamping.
Yes the edges are a bit of pain.

Proabily don't need to make the edge guide pieces.
The round over on the driver mounting hole is a good idea. Could/should even use a a larger radius or even use a cove bit instead.
Someone could also counter sink the woofer flush with the face if they wanted. (it is possible that may affect the crossovers blend a bit)
Measure three times and use a rabbiting bit for that and be carefull...

Glue wise, my approach.
Lay 1 side pannel inside face down.
Place inside down and put the edges of the---->above side pannel back, top, front, and bottom----> tight together against the side pannel.
Use masking tape to temp bind it all tight.
Then flip the pannels over.
liberally apply glue and then fold up and use light clamp, while adding the brace into the mix as you clamp.
Add 2nd side pannel to the top.
Finalize the clamping.
Should be good to go.
Keep taped and clamped overnight.

Plan to sand everything smooth and wear a mask while doing so.

bkdc

Forum Donor
Monoprice THX amp is on sale for 212.50 . Lowest price I’ve ever seen on it. I wish it had XLR pass through and preamp functionality but it is a solid headphone amp. Amazing as it originally sold for $399 when it came out 3 1/2 years ago. I guess technology changes although not much changes with amplifiers.

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thought I'd put some refurbished links to places, since their inventory always changes and you can keep tabs on stuff.

Adorama doesn't seem to post email link specials like before. The key is search open box, then narrow down the category, like this one for headphones.

Amazon Renewed is hit or miss, better discounts than the warehouse, but I couldn't find this link off the main menu.

Creative Labs has a renewed page with a 3 month warranty on their stuff. Prices have gone up on some things like the Soundblaster G6 though.

Sennheiser has a renewed page also, and 10 percent off first purchase if you sign up for the newsletter. With the number of fake ear buds (the giveaway is the box, looks like it was printed on a laser printer), it's the only place I'd buy those used.

Drop Refurbished has been a little slow lately, I think they update on Fridays like their sale page.

Rtings has a resale page for all the things they review. It's nice since they link to the review they did to research it.

Schiit has a B stock page as well

Woot.com has some cool things at times, but I use Wootsearch since on Woot there's no search box. Not linking direct since they do some affiliate thing. Can always just open a new windows in Woot if you find something. I'm not a fan of affiliate marketing since credibility on a review goes right out the window when it ends in a buy it now link.

https://picclick.com/ is a good tool, since they show a LOT more information on a listing than even eBay does with an advanced search.

Also https://camelcamelcamel.com/ is good for tracking Amazon prices if you buy used, or especially before black Friday or some known sale. Just have to set the threshold for price pretty low or the emails get annoying. On Amazon always use a web browser, since the phone app doesn't show their lowest prices for stuff like a used version being offered. For eBay it's the opposite, set alerts on the phone app so you'll know the second a new item comes up for sale. The email alerts are useless since they get sent at 9am PST and anything really good will have been snapped up by then.

Last edited:

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Correction, I just got a note from Amazon that the two I ordered got cancelled and now out of stock at that reseller. Hificollege has a used one for $159 in stock. I'll keep checking from time to time to see if it was a mistake or someone just ordered all of the 15 they showed in stock and it didn't update in time.

The matching Sabaj A20H amplifier is $119

I have this stack, and here the A20d and the lower power A10h was measured, the pair sounds great and just about every input and output you could want. The DAC outputs 5 volts and the amp is manufacturer claimed at 500mw for 600ohm. It will power the HE6se loud even with a -4db preamp reduction. The single end is less of course, but still hefty enough for the 600ohm DT880 which I had to test with them a while back.

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 12-07-06 PXL_20221031_122457046.jpg (JPEG Image 1080 × 1440 pixels) —...jpg

Last edited:

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
Bargain hunters rejoice. Amazon has the A20d ES9038Pro DAC back in stock after running out for 5 months. It's $89 with free shipping!

The shipping time is long for free though, I just ordered two of them.

The matching Sabaj A20H amplifier is $119

I have this stack, and here the A20d and the lower power A10h was measured, the pair sounds great and just about every input and output you could want. The DAC outputs 5 volts and the amp is manufacturer claimed at 500mw for 600ohm. It will power the HE6se loud even with a -4db preamp reduction. The single end is less of course, but still hefty enough for the 600ohm DT880 which I had to test with them a while back. Just a tick over 200 beans for this setup. The digital volume is nice for ear buds channel matching. Here's how they look together:

View attachment 271399
Is this the same DAC reviewed here? A whopping price drop since the ASR review, if so.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep it's the same A20d DAC tested here. The a10h amp was tested here too, just not the a20h bigger brother. I use one every day and its just transparent, no added tuning but what your playing. The filters are pretty hard to detect, I just use the one from the review that tested best.

DarrylG

The same thing happened with this DAC a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly popped up at this killer price. I snagged it and it's excellent. I say HOP ON IT!
Looks like there's a 2022 version that looks completely different.

fieldcar

Monolith THX-365T THX Ultra Certified Dolby Atmos Enabled Mini-Tower Speaker | Erin's REVIEW
$275/EA
$230/ea after SAVE25 coupon code

updated previous post. Lower price.

Top Bottom