• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

SchwarzeWolke

Forum Donor
For Europeans:
SMSL SU-8 for 189€ (around 215US$) with Prime all inclusive!
Lowest price I've seen was 199US$ with the drop on Massdrop or around 200-215ish on Aliexpress or the Shenzenaudio website. With this, you might get in trouble and have to pay taxes. (Massdrop charges also for shipping)
This is also sold by Shenzenaudio and they say that I will get it guaranteed next wednesday!!!

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the story with Mitchell & Johnson headphones? They're pretty much given them away on Massdrop.......

M&J are an interesting case. They marketed themselves as a tiny British audiophile company with breakthrough technology...when all of their models were off the shelf OEM Verisonix headphones (Google Electrostaz). Interesting hybrid technology...but M&J were selling models for $300-$600 that other Verisonix brands were selling for $50-$100. Google Tate & Bauer, Sharkk, & Cyberdrive. I do not know what forced the sudden price drop, but they are not bad phones (with nice wood cups) for $90...not so much for $600.

Dogen

Forum Donor
Amazon is now offering the Topping D3 DAC/amp for a little over US 80 in silver faceplate only. I believe these were originally 200 list. There are no measurements on this site or other sites that I can find, but I’ve been delighted with mine (I just ordered a second unit for some unknown reason, perhaps a future gift). This is the US Amazon site.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Elac B6.2 speakers pair is 150 on amazon today. I got mine for 220 and thought it was good deal. reg price is 280

bravomail

Audiotechnica AD 500-2000x (open), a-550z-2000z (closed) on massdrop

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My favorite promo has been Rakuten's 20% off everything using the coupon code BF20. It is still live until midnight tonight pacific (the 23rd). You can only use the code once...but you can have several items in your cart. Max discount $60. You have to create an account to use a code...but that is intantaneous. In the USA only I think.

Rakuten is a bit like ebay in that several U.S. AV retailers sell there, like Monoprice, MUSIC123, Electronics Expo. As a result the 20% off makes them the cheapest in many cases. They do not have all the Massdrop Audio-Technical models, (LINK) but some I saw were cheaper. Also some excellent Monoprice Monolith (Like the closed back M1060C for $200ish shipped instead of $250 on Monoprice site). Its a little work but worth it for me. You would need to have more than 1 email address to use it more than once.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
M&J are an interesting case. They marketed themselves as a tiny British audiophile company with breakthrough technology...when all of their models were off the shelf OEM Verisonix headphones (Google Electrostaz). Interesting hybrid technology...but M&J were selling models for $300-$600 that other Verisonix brands were selling for $50-$100. Google Tate & Bauer, Sharkk, & Cyberdrive. I do not know what forced the sudden price drop, but they are not bad phones (with nice wood cups) for $90...not so much for $600.

That fits, as I understand it they evolved from selling Sansui products and their hi-fi components basically just swapped the Sansui name for M&J. I'm not sure whether that was real Sansui gear or whether they had a license to use the Sansui name in the UK, similarly to the last Nakamichi AV amplifiers sold in the UK using the name Nakamichi under license.

mi-fu

Forum Donor

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Amazon's promotion of a single 305p for $89 is already a very good deal.

But this one is crazy! A PAIR of 306P for $152!

I just grabbed a pair. Thank you, @GGroch !!!!!!!

Wow... guess I missed that! It shows US$304/- for the pair!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

hvbias

The design is by Kevin Gilmore, published to Headwize in the early 2000s. I imagine it doesn't measure as well as the chip amps, but it should still measure very well as KG is very critical of poorly designed equipment (ie Ray Samuels, Cavalli, etc). Anyone that has been on Headfi going back to the earlys 2000s would probably know of KG's posts to Headfi/Head-Case being ultra critical of poorly designed equipment.

I also know Justin and from owning his past amps and seeing specs on them he is very conservative on the measurement numbers. If I still had my old Gilmore Lite I would have offered to send it in for measurement.

I currently used a KG designed electrostatic amp.

Top Bottom