• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've probably bought more fountain pen ink from Massdrop than anything else.

Don't really need a warranty on that...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I have bought many, many, many (yeah, I mean many) items on Massdrop, almost all audio gear.

Yeah, some of what they sell comes with no warranty (just 30 day return if defective), some with just a Massdrop warranty (up to a year), and some with the original manufacturer’s warranty. Depends on the item. I am not sure how they choose what they sell w/o a warranty - if they are a channel from the manufacturer to sell off excess capacity at a discount (saving warranty cost), or if they are not authorized sellers, etc., but I am pretty sure their warranty approach is one of the reasons they offer some of their deep discounts.

I have been lucky, only had an issue with one item from them. Of course it was an item without warranty coverage. Personally I have no issue buying from Massdrop and trading risk of not having warranty coverage for deep discounts.

Now, those delivery times...

Your post is good, very.

It is nice to have options, and from this thread Massdrop is a welcome option.
It makes sense what you just said above. We save a good chunk of money with Massdrop. That warranty thing for some items like the Pioneer Elite universal 4K BR player I just posted yesterday is a balance we assess ourselves, and nobody else.
I too make a choice in saving $400 over having two more years warranty.

Thank you for sharing your experience; it helps not only people like I but also people like us.

* As for deliveries; patience has always been one of my best allies.
If we can save money by not being in rush, we can also save lives on the roads.
...A way of speech to emphasize the benefit of being relax.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I've probably bought more fountain pen ink from Massdrop than anything else.

Don't really need a warranty on that...

Of course not. Warranties are best for products that are more prone to break.
Warranties are for unsecured buyers, for people who don't buy the best build products.
I have horror stories of manufacturers not respecting their warranties. We all have them, and much much more ...

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good warranty support can be extremely valuable. Speaking as somebody who has just been driving a Kia Stinger replacement car whilst Audi replace the DSG gearbox on my 18 months old A6. Not a cheap car, and not a manufacturer noted for poor quality but it happens and the way their warranty has covered a replacement car and managed the whole process has been excellent.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
For items like mansions, castles, homes, exotic cars, ...Yes, warranties are a good security, peace of mind.

But for inexpensive items like pens, toys, audio gear, video gear, etc., warranties are a scam. IMO

* For internet service providers there are no warranties, no security, no privacy, no respect, no nothing.

So of course I agree with you; a car costs what ... $100,000? ...A nice car, not a cancer.
You want a warranty for that item; anything that surpasses more than say...a week's wages.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course not. Warranties are best for products that are more prone to break.
Warranties are for unsecured buyers, for people who don't buy the best build products.
I have horror stories of manufacturers not respecting their warranties. We all have them, and much much more ...

That's the point. I've been a little paranoid about buying non-MD-exclusive electronics from them for that reason.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can someone please tell me why it is stuck @ 10 sold?
That was the limited quantity of units?
Says 11 now. :)

I see it on Amazon with prime shipping for $100 less. Don't see any reason to buy from massdrop in this case.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Link?

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Elite-UDP-LX500-Universal-Player/dp/B07HCL34WK

It's $999 on Amazon, not $599

* I see, you meant $100 cheaper than its list price. Yes, it is @ $999 @ several authorized audio dealers, with the full 3-year Pioneer Elite warranty.
But, Massdrop has it for $699 ($400 coupon discount) ... read the text Amir. It's in the green box.

Note: The drop price listed is the Minimum Advertised Price set by the manufacturer. Massdrop is not allowed to advertise a lower price than the MAP price. At checkout you will be able to apply a coupon for (-$400) towards your purchase.

You still save $300 @ Massdrop (1,099 minus 400 = 699); I would say it's a significant savings for young people between age 13 and 19, and coming from humble families...financially.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But for inexpensive items like pens, toys, audio gear, video gear, etc., warranties are a scam. IMO

A lot of audio gear (even that dismissed as lo-fi and mid-fi by the hipsters) is rather expensive, certainly I'm not sure I'd put any of the audio gear I buy in the throwaway category. Warranty support is part of the calculation when it comes to considering whether things like grey imports offer good value. I'm not saying don't use Massdrop or don't buy grey imports but I would say it is worth considering the wider picture. For example, to be honest I am not an Apple fan and my own devices are either Android or Windows but the rest of my family are Apple fans and over the years I will say that I have been very impressed with Apple support and it does give me confidence which helps sweeten the pill of their prices.

In my case it is a very different calculation when it comes to Massdrop compared to US residents as being in England if I buy from Massdrop I have to pay 20% VAT plus a customs handling fee. If I combine that with the fact that a UK market product bought locally will come with not only the manufacturer warranty but our statutory warranty rights (which in many ways are far better than manufacturer provisions) then in most cases Massdrop just doesn't make sense, especially when shops over here often price quite aggressively, offer B stock bargains etc. For example, when I bought my Beyerdynamic T5P gen 2 headphones they came directly from the UK distributor of Beyerdynamic and even though they were B stock sold for less than 50% of SRP I still got the 5 year warranty plus my statutory rights.

However, these are specific issues applicable to people outside the US and if I was in the US I suspect I would buy things from them.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Ah, I did not see the note for the coupon. Was wondering what was up.

We're on the same page now.
_____

Windows Spotlight on my Lock Screen is always the same: How do I make it switch?
I tried everything, it's frustrating because it was working for a while but now it isn't.
Sorry, I just had to ask quickly here.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
A lot of audio gear (even that dismissed as lo-fi and mid-fi by the hipsters) is rather expensive, certainly I'm not sure I'd put any of the audio gear I buy in the throwaway category. Warranty support is part of the calculation when it comes to considering whether things like grey imports offer good value. I'm not saying don't use Massdrop or don't buy grey imports but I would say it is worth considering the wider picture. For example, to be honest I am not an Apple fan and my own devices are either Android or Windows but the rest of my family are Apple fans and over the years I will say that I have been very impressed with Apple support and it does give me confidence which helps sweeten the pill of their prices.

In my case it is a very different calculation when it comes to Massdrop compared to US residents as being in England if I buy from Massdrop I have to pay 20% VAT plus a customs handling fee. If I combine that with the fact that a UK market product bought locally will come with not only the manufacturer warranty but our statutory warranty rights (which in many ways are far better than manufacturer provisions) then in most cases Massdrop just doesn't make sense, especially when shops over here often price quite aggressively, offer B stock bargains etc. For example, when I bought my Beyerdynamic T5P gen 2 headphones they came directly from the UK distributor of Beyerdynamic and even though they were B stock sold for less than 50% of SRP I still got the 5 year warranty plus my statutory rights.

However, these are specific issues applicable to people outside the US and if I was in the US I suspect I would buy things from them.

Thx, that is very good info; from different world's regions the savings can have different values, and sometimes it isn't advantageous.
Some US residents would go for it, but not all of them.
That's probably why the Pioneer Elite LX500 Universal 4K Blu-ray player (MSRP: $1,099) has only sold eleven units on Massdrop even with a $400 discount ($699). And many folks prefer the Elite 3-year warranty instead of just one. Also the reputation of Massdrop is not so "pink" meaning not so great. It's a Canadian French expression between a small group of intelligent friends...that goes way back to college.

Anyway I truly appreciate your feedback because it helps me in helping others, like right now @ another audio/video site.
What I learn good here it spreads around. If something is no good (very rare but it can happen) I just walk away and nobody knows about it...it vanishes into the abyss of the forbidden oblivion. :)

Cheers JJ,

NorthSky

Major Contributor
That Pioneer LX500 deal didn't go thru.
Good luck in trying to find out why. The latest says that 19 units were sold but they needed to sell 22 units for the deal to work. So all 19 buyers were not charged and they won't get any Pioneer LX500 players.

I think Massdrop should become an authorized legitimate reliable AVS dealer.

Thank you for reading and best lock next time.
You won't see me posting here anymore about future Massdrop deals, forever.
I understand some of you have no problem shopping there, that is awesome for you.
But for the masses I think it's simply better shopping somewhere else.

You all take good care now, and shop @ the right places for your Halloween costume, or make your own if you are talented with soldering, ...I mean sewing.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Why advertise stuff from a place that is less reliable than the lighted candle inside a pumpkin when there's a hurricane blasting off outside?

I thought solidity was a solidarity quality.

Top Bottom