• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sure, diminishing returns, but depending on the type of music you're listening to those diminishing returns or last 5-10% or whatever can mean a huge difference in reproduction. The Stax SR-009 are flat out better than the HD6XX/HD650 and sheer resolution of hearing acoustic music like piano, violin, sacred cantatas, etc brings me much closer to what is on the disc..

Couldn't debate the SQ issues of the two never having heard the Stax, but to be honest I'm not much a fan of headphone listening to begin with. I use them mainly for questions on recording quality as they in general are more revealing of detail. Only rarely use them for music enjoyment as I've found the comfort issue always to intrude at some point.
The main issue with the HD6xx/650 is the soundstage, it is very constricting for any natural space/non-studio recordings and second it's not as resolving as the Stax. Dollar for dollar there is nothing remotely close to them.
That's where we might debate, soundstage, what soundstage? I've never heard anything approaching what I would call a soundstage from any headphone. ;)

jsmiller58

Forum Donor
Couldn't debate the SQ issues of the two never having heard the Stax, but to be honest I'm not much a fan of headphone listening to begin with. I use them mainly for questions on recording quality as they in general are more revealing of detail. Only rarely use them for music enjoyment as I've found the comfort issue always to intrude at some point.

That's where we might debate, soundstage, what soundstage? I've never heard anything approaching what I would call a soundstage from any headphone. ;)
Yeah, but some might not have an option of real speakers for true soundstage... an apartment where neighbors object, an open environment office, or, like in my case, where a spouse would almost certainly tell me continuously to “turn down that racket...!”

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yeah, but some might not have an option of real speakers for true soundstage... an apartment where neighbors object, an open environment office, or, like in my case, where a spouse would almost certainly tell me continuously to “turn down that racket...!”
True that. ;)

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning

If you have some time to kill this is one of the finest headphone reviews I have ever read: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stax-sr-007-omega-ii-a-review-after-4-years-of-ownership.40313/

He doesn't call it soundstage, but headstage.

It precisely explains why instruments in an acoustic recording can have depth, distance, etc due to the instrument being softer, less defined sounding than what is in the foreground, and so on. These are subjective comments but using descriptions that have solid meaning like the ones I mentioned in the previous sentence.

I'm at a computer most of the day at work which is why I still want good headphones. I brought in mini Quad 11L at one point, but even in a private office with the door closed I could hear the music outside so I decided to scrap nearfield monitors and stick with headphones. When I am at home I will take speaker listening over headphones any day.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
He doesn't call it soundstage, but headstage.
That might be a more reasonable descriptor since to me a soundstage is a audible stereo presentation that puts the performers well out in front of you with dimensions in both width and depth. Something headphones can never do.
That said, soundstage (or headstage) can end up being the most abused and over-imagined aspect of audiophool land. Every ridiculous review of high end electronics is packed full of comparisons between component A and B, detailing the changes that each brings to the table in the soundstage. A is wder than B, but B has more depth in the midrange, yada yada yada.. Caveat Emptor

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That might be a more reasonable descriptor since to me a soundstage is a audible stereo presentation that puts the performers well out in front of you with dimensions in both width and depth. Something headphones can never do.

It's just that headphones can't do it with stereo recordings mixed for speakers, which unfortunately for headphone users is 99.99% of everything. You need either a binaural recording or an appropriate DSP to get real soundstage out of headphones.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's just that headphones can't do it with stereo recordings mixed for speakers, which unfortunately for headphone users is 99.99% of everything. You need either a binaural recording or an appropriate DSP to get real soundstage out of headphones.

I’ve yet to hear any two-speaker system place a sound behind me. A binaural recording over well DSPed headphones does this easily, and the illusion is unshakable.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I’ve yet to hear any two-speaker system place a sound behind me. A binaural recording over well DSPed headphones does this easily, and the illusion is unshakable.
That's why I run a 5.2.4 multich rig, all of that plus real height is part of the imaging package here.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must admit I keep being tempted by the Massdrop Sennheiser HD58X. I still have a pair of old HD580's I bought new about 25 years ago and despite them looking rather tired (and they felt a low rent when new compared to modern high end headphones) I can't bring myself to let them go as they still sound good and have a lot of happy memories for me. They're a genuine classic design and we're unbettered for a long time. The HD58X seems crazily affordable if it really is a new version of the classic HD580 and I'm tempted to buy a pair to sit on for the dark day when my old pair might die however I am worried in case they have tried to improve the sound. Oh happy days when high end headphones were so affordable.

pwjazz

Forum Donor
I must admit I keep being tempted by the Massdrop Sennheiser HD58X. I still have a pair of old HD580's I bought new about 25 years ago and despite them looking rather tired (and they felt a low rent when new compared to modern high end headphones) I can't bring myself to let them go as they still sound good and have a lot of happy memories for me. They're a genuine classic design and we're unbettered for a long time. The HD58X seems crazily affordable if it really is a new version of the classic HD580 and I'm tempted to buy a pair to sit on for the dark day when my old pair might die however I am worried in case they have tried to improve the sound. Oh happy days when high end headphones were so affordable.

I've never heard an HD580 but from what I read the HD58X isn't meant to sound quite the same and measures quite similarly to the HD660S. Compared to my departed HD600, the HD58X sounds a touch less forward on vocals and has better extended and clearer bass. The sound is definitely still in the same family, but it's definitely it's own thing. For what it's worth, I enjoy the HD58X quite a bit.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the advice. Over all the years I have had the HD580's I never felt a need to upgrade to the HD600 or HD650, and in some ways I still like the originals as the best of the line despite the low rent feel (I admit that is probably familiarity). I f they have adjusted the sound I might give them a miss, unfortunately I can't try before buying. On the other hand if I take a punt I could probably sell them and not lose that much.

Grave

The Sennheiser HD 580's sound bright and artificial to me. These have the same drivers as the HD 600.
The Sennheiser HD 58X's sound dull, boomy, and muddy to me.
The Sennheiser HD 660 S's sound balanced to me. These sound nothing like the HD 58X. I don't know why I keep reading this.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Relative to the HD600/650 I found the original 580's a bit more laid back and neutral, some might call them boring compared to more modern headphones but for classical music they're still superb. Then again I love the smooth and balanced sound of the Oppo PM1 & 2 which many seem to think are dull and boring. Funny thing is I like the sound of the Sony MDR Z7 which is quite bass heavy, but I tend to listen to different music on different headphones and balance sound signature to music.

jsmiller58

Forum Donor
Relative to the HD600/650 I found the original 580's a bit more laid back and neutral, some might call them boring compared to more modern headphones but for classical music they're still superb. Then again I love the smooth and balanced sound of the Oppo PM1 & 2 which many seem to think are dull and boring. Funny thing is I like the sound of the Sony MDR Z7 which is quite bass heavy, but I tend to listen to different music on different headphones and balance sound signature to music.
From what I have read, the only thing the 580 Jubilee (which I have never listened to) and 58X Jubilee (which I own) have in common are the digits 5 and 8, and the word Jubilee in their respective names...

pwjazz

Forum Donor
The Sennheiser HD 580's sound bright and artificial to me. These have the same drivers as the HD 600.
The Sennheiser HD 58X's sound dull, boomy, and muddy to me.
The Sennheiser HD 660 S's sound balanced to me. These sound nothing like the HD 58X. I don't know why I keep reading this.

The HD58X only sounds muddy to me if I listen at too high of a volume. At my listening volumes it's just about right, and less wooly than the HD600, which I chalk up to lower bass distortion.

For the record, I never said that the HD58X sounds like the HD660S, just that it measures similarly. I should have qualified that by pointing out that the bass is relatively elevated.

Grave

Nope, the HD 580's have the same drivers as the HD 600's and they sound brighter than the HD 650's.

BillG

Major Contributor
Top Bottom