• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some good deals I came across, especially if you're looking for a Modius

Audio-Technica ATH-R70x $249 open box

HiFiMan HE-560 V4 $189 not open box, rated excellent condition

Schiit Modius on Mercari for $150 (still on back order at Schiit)

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The deal on the Harman website on the JBL A180 and A180 speakers is REALLY weird. I had trouble getting the $99 price the first day on the 180's - it was there one minute, then not there the next, then the deal worked later that night. Two days later the 180's arrived and I saw the 190's were available for 125. That night the deal was still available. The next morning and all day the deal was gone, despite clearing cookies, etc. Now, in the evening the deal is back again. It's like every night the deal pops up but during the day it doesn't work. Anyway now I'll have both on hand for testing and, joy, free returns.
You might be able to fix that by clearing the cookies in your browser.

MacCali

Major Contributor
The deal on the Harman website on the JBL A180 and A180 speakers is REALLY weird. I had trouble getting the $99 price the first day on the 180's - it was there one minute, then not there the next, then the deal worked later that night. Two days later the 180's arrived and I saw the 190's were available for 125. That night the deal was still available. The next morning and all day the deal was gone, despite clearing cookies, etc. Now, in the evening the deal is back again. It's like every night the deal pops up but during the day it doesn't work. Anyway now I'll have both on hand for testing and, joy, free returns.
Damn that’s crazy 248 out the door, just got me a pair.

No one has ever measured these speakers right? I know Amir did the bookshelves, wonder how this guy performs. Guess we’ll find out

And Thanks!!!

cavedriver

You might be able to fix that by clearing the cookies in your browser.
As I noted I had cleared my cookies. Even used a different computer naïve to their website and my phone to test the pricing. I think they might be time-releasing quantities of them, perhaps to target certain markets, or as their excess of the black color becomes apparent in their warehouses, but who knows. Maybe they are just being hacked.

cavedriver

Damn that’s crazy 248 out the door, just got me a pair.

No one has ever measured these speakers right? I know Amir did the bookshelves, wonder how this guy performs. Guess we’ll find out

And Thanks!!!
I think Erin measured the A130's and they didn't do well. I've already received the A180 pair, and Dennis here on the forums has received his. The initial impression is some distortion in the tweeter that could "ruin" them for some listeners. I'm thinking of putting them in my garage because they easily play loud and the bass is tight, but I would not use them for critical listening. I don't think these would be worth the money at all for their list price. At $250 a pair I think they are better than the now discontinued Pioneer FS22's and perhaps other towers in the sub-$500 market, but then if you're in that price range you are already admitting to making significant compromises. Maybe A/B them against the Elac Debut 2.0 towers? Edit- apparently the "default" alternative at this price on this website is the Polks. Personally biased against Polk based on past experience but ok.

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
I think Erin measured the A130's and they didn't do well. I've already received the A180 pair, and Dennis here on the forums has received his. The initial impression is some distortion in the tweeter that could "ruin" them for some listeners. I'm thinking of putting them in my garage because they easily play loud and the bass is tight, but I would not use them for critical listening. I don't think these would be worth the money at all for their list price. At $250 a pair I think they are better than the now discontinued Pioneer FS22's and perhaps other towers in the sub-$500 market, but then if you're in that price range you are already admitting to making significant compromises. Maybe A/B them against the Elac Debut 2.0 towers? Edit- apparently the "default" alternative at this price on this website is the Polks. Personally biased against Polk based on past experience but ok.
Amir just posted a review on the polk elites..

Amir also did a review on the bookshelf version of these towers and it was an excellent speaker to my recollection. Not sure what Erin found.

I own the Uni-fi 2.0’s for my home theater. Honestly I feel like to my ears they are better then the unifi reference.

Now I will have 5 pairs of speakers and only 3 listening locations

Edit: For perfection it needs to be eq’d, thought it was good all around[A130]

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
After tooling around on the Harmon website, I had the JBL Stage A100P sub in my cart for $115. Pulled the trigger and was hit for $399 on the Amex. Curious to see how Harmon resolves this hiccup…
7EBBD9D9-0C37-4425-82FA-9613F41DFC48.png

cavedriver

Edit: For perfection it needs to be eq’d, thought it was good all around[A130]
You're right- I had even forgotten that I had read Amir's review of the A130 before I ordered the A180's and that his positive observations were part of my decision to order the 180's. Hoping Dennis is able to tweak them though, because while I agree with most of the positives from Amir's review of the 130's, the distortion in the tweeter is obvious to me and unacceptable for serious listening. They'll make nice garage speakers though (other than that bookshelves would take up less space, sigh).

Walter

As I noted I had cleared my cookies. Even used a different computer naïve to their website and my phone to test the pricing. I think they might be time-releasing quantities of them, perhaps to target certain markets, or as their excess of the black color becomes apparent in their warehouses, but who knows. Maybe they are just being hacked.
Sorry, I guess I missed that. I agree, it is weird.

MacCali

Major Contributor
After tooling around on the Harmon website, I had the JBL Stage A100P sub in my cart for $115. Pulled the trigger and was hit for $399 on the Amex. Curious to see how Harmon resolves this hiccup…View attachment 208118
Straight up, on crutch field it’s one speaker for 300 on sale and I got the pair for less than that xD

Personally think when the stock isn’t moving they do this. I got that infinity sub for like 150 and it too is 499. I know it goes on sale for 170 fairly often.

This blackfriday I’ll probably be getting the SVS micro and that reavon xbr 200. Send it[200] in to Amir for testing. Very curious how it will perform for that stupid price tag

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
Straight up, on crutch field it’s one speaker for 300 on sale and I got the pair for less than that xD

Personally think when the stock isn’t moving they do this. I got that infinity sub for like 150 and it too is 499. I know it goes on sale for 170 fairly often.

This blackfriday I’ll probably be getting the SVS micro and that reavon xbr 200. Send it[200] in to Amir for testing. Very curious how it will perform for that stupid price tag
Harman cancelled my order. Seeing as how this would be my 4th sub, I'm not exactly crushed. Ok, maybe a little...

SMc

You're right- I had even forgotten that I had read Amir's review of the A130 before I ordered the A180's and that his positive observations were part of my decision to order the 180's. Hoping Dennis is able to tweak them though, because while I agree with most of the positives from Amir's review of the 130's, the distortion in the tweeter is obvious to me and unacceptable for serious listening. They'll make nice garage speakers though (other than that bookshelves would take up less space, sigh).
I'm intrigued by your assessment of the tweeter. The high end of my presumably similar A170s is so much cleaner than anything I've had in the same room I wonder what I should be listening for. Until the 180s are measured here, I'm relying on John Atkinson's measurements of the A170 in Stereophile.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I'm intrigued by your assessment of the tweeter. The high end of my presumably similar A170s is so much cleaner than anything I've had in the same room I wonder what I should be listening for. Until the 180s are measured here, I'm relying on John Atkinson's measurements of the A170 in Stereophile.
I really don’t like the sound of most aluminum tweeters. However I do know that phase guide does fix some issues.

Actually didn’t realize I purchased the A190, as in its 8” woofers. All good though.

Also you think that if you want the A130’s performance you want similar drivers

Edit: just bought the 170’s too ^_^

Last edited:

Kachda

Forum Donor
Harman cancelled my order. Seeing as how this would be my 4th sub, I'm not exactly crushed. Ok, maybe a little...
Strangely I saw the same price. And Stage 120P was only $149. I've put in an order, let me see if it works.

cavedriver

well, I'm no expert, and I disagree with Amir's notes on at least one of the well reviewed speakers on this site, but I will share what I hear. Dennis Murphy and Amir also bought the 180's to test so maybe we'll hear their opinions soon. The 190's are set to arrive Wed so I'll break them in and A/B with what I have around, including the 180's. Curious what else you've listened to in that same room?

Edit: I also checked my CC and I was charged the correct amount for both the 180 and 190 purchases, so nothing funny there.

Kachda

Forum Donor
Strangely I saw the same price. And Stage 120P was only $149. I've put in an order, let me see if it works.
My CC was charged $149+tax and I got a confirmation email from Harman. Let's see if they actually ship it :)

MacCali

Major Contributor
My CC was charged $149+tax and I got a confirmation email from Harman. Let's see if they actually ship it :)
Mine shipped, if Amir is down I’ll send the 190s since I got the 170’s too now. Actually don’t even need either, as I already have way too many speakers.

Question though, does a larger cabinet reduce resonance? Assuming the 190 is in a larger box than the 170.

On stereo file it shows a resonance on the upper triable in the waterfall chart.

SMc

well, I'm no expert, and I disagree with Amir's notes on at least one of the well reviewed speakers on this site, but I will share what I hear. Dennis Murphy and Amir also bought the 180's to test so maybe we'll hear their opinions soon. The 190's are set to arrive Wed so I'll break them in and A/B with what I have around, including the 180's. Curious what else you've listened to in that same room?
The A170s replaced Dynaudio DM 2/7s now in a stereo tv system. I also briefly tried Infinity Primus 150s.

There's the other room with NHT C3s and Quad ESL 1963s.

Top Bottom