• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Drop is taking orders for the Open version of the DC.
Screenshot_20211218-092956_Chrome.jpg

MacCali

Major Contributor
You can get the S809 open box from Adorama for 160, got mine in excellent condition. Only issue was the rear vinyl wrap or whatever it is was peeling at the corner, glued it when I got it and it's perfect. They show photos of the damage, some had crushed corners and this and that.

Also got to check them too, I dont know why, adorama does some shady things on sales. I purchased my first pair and canceled cause I didn't see the damage that was on it. It had major scartchs, when I reordered the same speakers but the one I just mentioned which were in pristine condition and they charged me 10 extra dollars for shipping. So I contacted them, what gives, and had to speak to a supervisor cause it simply wasn't making any sense. Same product, same everything, so why are you charging me 10 dollars more for shipping.

Some things that easily they get away with if you let them, and not cool. I mean did the scratches on the outside of the speaker reduce the weight of the shipment by 10 lbs or what XD

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
RE: AvidProTools
DaleAudio [not an endorsement and link stripped] informs me:
"Last call to get Current on Pro Tools - Got a Pro Tools perpetual license with an older version of software? Now’s your opportunity to get current. New 1-Year Upgrades are now available but only through December 31, 2021, so get yours now!"
Avid Pro Tools Annual Upgrade Reinstatement Plan (Perpetual to 1-Year Subscription)
I can't confirm pricing now or in the future (seems to be ~$249?) but if that is a concern, ProTools is not the only game in town… some even FREEware:
> >Audacity/AdobeAudition/CuBase/LogicProX/FLStudios/GarageBand/etc.

EdTice

We all like the JBL 530s. What does everybody think of the 520C? They are on sale for less than $100 which seems like a bargain?

If you bought the 530 to match for L and R, then yes. Erin has been doing measurements along with Amir on center channels that seem to show how it's not great to have 2 woofers side-by-side but since the 530 doesn't really work on it's side like something like a KEF, it seems reasonable enough to get the matching center. Even though the 530 will probably create a good phantom center depending on your placement, at 99$ it is worth it for HT content.

EdTice

If you bought the 530 to match for L and R, then yes. Erin has been doing measurements along with Amir on center channels that seem to show how it's not great to have 2 woofers side-by-side but since the 530 doesn't really work on it's side like something like a KEF, it seems reasonable enough to get the matching center. Especially while it's 99$.
I am using 530s for my main speakers right now. The reason that I asked the question was that the 520C is a two-way design (with only four inch drivers at that) and so I expect it might have all of the problems we see with the other two-way design centers. But it also looks like an attempt was made to counteract that. The tweeter is recessed (like the 530Cs) and the waveguide might help the four inch drivers as well. It also looks like the four inch drivers may be angled slightly again in an attempt to make a two-way design work. Hard to tell from the pictures.

I do not have the center, but I have the 530s but all the pics online looks like the woofers are on the same plane and not angled but I may be wrong. That would not matter though because even if they were angled, there would still be cancellation somewhere right? That seems to be the design of almost all the centers but it seems to create problems single woofer speakers of the same ilk do not have.

The center will probably no go much below 90$ shipped until they are blown out when they discontinued (but I also thought the 530 were a steal at 299 shipped). It says free returns but YMMV.

EdTice

I do not have the center, but I have the 530s but all the pics online looks like the woofers are on the same plane and not angled but I may be wrong. That would not matter though because even if they were angled, there would still be cancellation somewhere right? That seems to be the design of almost all the centers but it seems to create problems single woofer speakers of the same ilk do not have.

The center will probably no go much below 90$ shipped until they are blown out when they discontinued (but I also thought the 530 were a steal at 299 shipped). It says free returns but YMMV.
I am not a speaker designer. There is always some level of cancellation. The goal is to have enough horizontal spread that you don't have to be completely on-axis to hear the dialog! Even your left and right will cancel at some point (although hopefully that doesn't happen until the sound is behind your head and then you don't care!) The distance you need is a function of wavelength which is why three-way designs don't have as much cancellation. They still have drivers that could cancel but for such low frequencies, you get constructive interference rather than destructive interference. Of course too much horizontal spread and the sound bouncing off the walls might make speech unintelligible. Fortunately I don't design speakers. I just buy them now and again. But yeah wouldn't surprise me if the drivers point straight forward and any angles are just in the plastic for the tweeter waveguide. Anyway I'll find out if I like them before Christmas I guess since I ordered one. In the worst case, the dimensions are perfect to integrate with the cavern in our drawer furniture. My wife will like that. I'll take a listen with it outside of the chasm first, though.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser outlet on eBay has some deals going for refurbished units. HD660S is $299

izeek

We all like the JBL 530s. What does everybody think of the 520C? They are on sale for less than $100 which seems like a bargain?

just got that 520c. what i had before, a jcenter admittedly low-brow, got blown off the map.
id had always thought something could be better.
this took my ht to theater level for me.
and for the price? yeah.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
just got that 520c. what i had before, a jcenter admittedly low-brow, got blown off the map.
id had always thought something could be better.
this took my ht to theater level for me.
and for the price? yeah.

Cool! An often-overlooked aspect of hi-fi: It doesn't always matter if a piece of equipment has top-level performance. If it has noticeably better performance than the unit you're replacing it with, and if it's reasonably priced, than it's a good value. Glad it has increased your enjoyment of your entire system!

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
For Canadians:

Studio monitors are 10% OFF again (last time was on Black Friday)!! :D

How to claim these discounts?
1. avshop.ca = with discount auto-applied
2. moogaudio.com = with coupon BOXING10 at checkout
3. musiquegagne.com = with coupon BOXINGMG21 at checkout

2021-12-25 UPDATE:
1. acclaim-music.com = with coupon CASHBACK10 at checkout
2. economik = with discount auto-applied
3. musiccitycanada.com = with coupon BOXINGWEEK at checkout

No sale for these (yet):
1. long-mcquade.com

I've taken the time to collect most of the interesting studio monitors and their prices prior to Boxing Day sales, so you can see, what the prices were previously. Then, since most offer 10% off, you should be able to get the discount. But watch out, that some resellers/dealers jack up the price prior to Boxing Day to make it seem like it's the regular price, so look at my table below.
1640386425852.png

1640386308387.png

EDIT:
I've added LFX and preference score columns to easily compare between models.

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
For Canadians:

Those looking for AKG K371-BT (same as Amir's AKG K371 review, but with bluetooth input).
Normally CDN$260, but now on sale for CDN$164 at acclaim-music ($182 retail, plus using coupon CASHBACK10 at checkout).
Damn 60 cad for delivery and foreign transaction fee. Bummer going to be 190 usd. Guess this is a Canadian special.

Can you EQ these headphones even though they’re bt? I see it for 149 on Amazon US and they got two open box for 114. Just got one for 124

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
I bought them and applied Amir's PEQ for K371 (non-BT version).
Sounds much better than out of box.
To apply EQ, I use SoundSource (when on MacOS) and Equalizer APO (when on Windows).
Yea I just canceled and got the wired version, I got phenomenal portable Dac/amps.

The pads are different on the BT version, if you go to page 25 on the review there’s a review online. The pads are 5 mm thinner according to the reviewer and it screws the headphones up. Not drastically, but I’m sure dsp is doing some funky crap.

I’ll just pass, I got a really good pair of BT headphones.

Now my only thing that comes to mind, and I asked, they do sell replacement pads for the original. Wonder if you can swap them out to the original pads. Will reduce that difference for certain

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
No one mentioned the drop's sale yet!

1. Sennheiser HD 6XX on sale for US$179 (down from US$220, or 18% off).
2. Sennheiser HD 58X on sale for US$129 (down from US$170, or 24% off).
3. Sennheiser PC38X on sale for US$129 (down from US$169, or 23% off). Amir's review.
4. Sennheiser HD 8XX on sale for US$999 (down from US$1100, or 9% off).
5. Sennheiser PC37X on sale for US$99 (down from US$120, or 17% off).

I see discussion about 6XX (not others) on Canadian forums about people buying them.
I posted the AKG K371 deal on the Canadian forum, and crickets...since everyone's buying the 6XX's.

Would love to see the review of 6XX and also the promised HD 560s!

MacCali

Major Contributor
No one mentioned the drop's sale yet!

1. Sennheiser HD 6XX on sale for US$179 (down from US$220, or 18% off).
2. Sennheiser HD 58X on sale for US$129 (down from US$170, or 24% off).
3. Sennheiser PC38X on sale for US$129 (down from US$169, or 23% off). Amir's review.
4. Sennheiser HD 8XX on sale for US$999 (down from US$1100, or 9% off).
5. Sennheiser PC37X on sale for US$99 (down from US$120, or 17% off).

I see discussion about 6XX (not others) on Canadian forums about people buying them.
I posted the AKG K371 deal on the Canadian forum, and crickets...since everyone's buying the 6XX's.

Would love to see the review of 6XX and also the promised HD 560s!
Yea always wanted a nice sennheiser, however I am pretty much done with headphones. I am fairly invested in stereo listening as I do it about 99% of the time now. Before was different because I wasn’t able to make any noise past 10 pm.

Just like to see what’s out there, not trying to drop a lot of money on something I will rarely use. Got the 371 damaged box for 109

Top Bottom