• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Master Complaint Thread About Headphone Measurements

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #161
Assuming that 2%, 3% or 5% THD may not be audible, why report it?
We don't know the level of audibility because THD by itself is not instructive perceptually. However, comparing to other speakers in the same frequency range, the lower the distortion, the better the design.

pkane

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems rather averaged/smoothed for a white noise plot.
I meant using white noise while positioning and using a real-time analyzer.
Have made some BT headphone measurements using white noise (generated with a noise generator flat up to 100kHz, really easy to build)
I have to record at least 1min of noise and then analyze it to get something close to a sweep.

Of course. There was no averaging when I was positioning the headphone. What I posted was the averaged measurement after the headphone was positioned at best and worst locations since I wanted to see clear differences.

Last edited:

abdo123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I found this graph on DIY-audio-heaven

I thought maybe it's a good idea to use it (or for Amir to make his own version of it).

it's kind of a way to show inexperienced readers how the headphones will sound like from the measurements

it can also be used to verify the measurements as Amir perhaps can hear the effect a peak or a dip has on the sound of the headphones.

Last edited:
Can I ask you to make graphs of the same size? After all, the purpose of graphs is to compare different devices. You can open several browser tabs with different test graphs and switch between them. And compare. And if the graphs are of different sizes, they will complicate the comparison a little. I really like the graphs of tests for absolute distortion - you can see the frequency response and you can see the level of distortion - very clearly! Maybe there is not enough such a graph for the speakers (the percentage does not clearly show the distortion).