• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Massive bass reverberation

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way, looking at the estimated price you quoted...

A small non profit company near here is collecting used clothes to recycle and sale them for a low price.

With the ones they can't recycle, they transform them into accoustic isolation blocks.
They seem to be VERY efficient.
They also now do acoustic correction hardware.

Maybe you could try a similar idea ?

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Matias,
I just realized that you are trying to resolve the issue with the lower midrange dip. I would think the same procedure applies and your existing absorbers should be deep enough to absorb those hot spots in the midrange frequencies. I'm making an assumption that the dip in the upper bass/lower midrange is caused by waves colliding at your MLP. I understand that above Schroeder frequency, sound behaves differently.
Due to your listening position in the room, I don't think you can or should deploy real quadratic diffusers (you need to sit pretty far from the rear wall in order to use them) but you could successfully use absorbers with the scatter plates which will allow you to make the room "drier" without making it sound "dead". Due to your brick walls and the sealed room, I would safely assume you will need way more absorbing panels hence the scatter/diffusor plates use. The outcome should be a treated acoustical space that will only/maybe need a small correction of peaks in the bass region via DSP or EQ. Essentially, you are trying to build a "junior" mastering room. :)

Check this article as well: https://www.sonible.com/blog/room-modes/

Anyway, I'm not an acoustician, and please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Every piece of advice I'm proposing here is what I have to follow myself. :) It's a learning process and we are all in this together.

Jukebox

I have a similar problem in my room at 45Hz in the rear left corner; and somehow I can hear/feel the presure coming from this side....very dstracting on some tracks.
I ordered sub bass trap from Artnovion with 3 Tuneable Pistonic Diaphragmatic Absorbers.
Is not the most budget friendly (1000eur/pcs) but does the job!

1663769343034.png

artnovion-product-sub-trap-range-0527aab81b.jpg

nicolasG

@DjBonoBobo here is the EQ I made with var smoothing. Had a quick listen of some 4 bassy songs (Mark Lettieri - Deep: The Baritone Sessions Vol. 2) and the bass is more linear indeed. And since the bass peaks have been reduced, tonality seems lighter too, so there is that to get used to. Huge dip around 120 Hz though.

mdat

View attachment 231542
View attachment 231541
I am a beginner, I see problems from 200hz which comes from the reflection at 2.3ms away, and at 120hz either a reflection at 7ms or a modal resonance in which case they require the movement of the monitors.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Matias,

I hope your room is coming along and you were able to tame the outstanding low-frequency issues.

I just finished building some DYI simple limp mass bass absorbers boxes.

Was always interested in how well they work and wanted to build them for a long time.

You can see them in this post.

boxerfan88

Fully agree.

I have a +20dB room mode at 45Hz (squarish room). Bass trapping probably takes that down a few dB. I had to resort to -18dB PEQ cut to hammer it down.

D

Deleted member 48726

Fully agree.

I have a +20dB room mode at 45Hz (squarish room). Bass trapping probably takes that down a few dB. I had to resort to -18dB PEQ cut to hammer it down.
Same here but at 35 Hz. EQ is a must.

Top Bottom