• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MASSDROP X Focal ELEX Review (headphone)

D

Deleted member 22141

Certainly there do seem to be QC issues but it's very hard to tell how bad they actually are - angry people on the internet make a lot of FUD.

Mine have been fine. They are back down to $550 for Black Friday (which is what I paid). It's a pretty good headphone for the price.

Clamp force is definitely less than my HD6XX, much more comfortable for extended periods, but still too much for me for >3 hours or so.

Cisco150

I have the Anandas would the Elex be better or more bass or the dt1990 @amirm or members of chat

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I rarely listen at anything over 85dB for more than a few minutes. I must say I enjoy the Elex, and particularly as I got them during their Black Friday promotion last year for $550.

Comfort is okay, but I do find after a few hours that the clamp pressure gets a bit much and can cause a headache. I find them much more comfortable than the HD6XX however which is lighter but has a truly horrible clamp pressure for extended listening.
How you guys know the listening volume. I'm clueless. I wonder what is the volume of Ananda with Zen Can at lowest gain 1 o'clock.

odyo

but still too much for me for >3 hours or so.
Honestly every headphone is too much for 3+ hours especially if you are tired. Except maybe HD800S. Heard lots of praise about it's comfort. Big earpad, light, no clamp although it's big so idk.

odyo

I have the Anandas would the Elex be better or more bass or the dt1990 @amirm or members of chat
If you are not gonna EQ i think 1990 hands down. It has a lot of bass and warmth. Very fast and punchy, intense. Beware the 8k peak though.
Elex> if you are gonna EQ i think but it clips. They will not have the articulate sub bass and soundstage of Ananda but a lot more impact and contrast.

D

Deleted member 22141

Honestly every headphone is too much for 3+ hours especially if you are tired. Except maybe HD800S. Heard lots of praise about it's comfort. Big earpad, light, no clamp although it's big so idk.

Although it has received mixed reviews my Sony MDRZ7M2 sounds great to me and is comfortable enough to wear 12 hours straight.

It also sounds better than the HD6XX to me.

A much underrated headphone IMO.

F14B

Certainly there do seem to be QC issues but it's very hard to tell how bad they actually are - angry people on the internet make a lot of FUD.

Mine have been fine. They are back down to $550 for Black Friday (which is what I paid). It's a pretty good headphone for the price.

Clamp force is definitely less than my HD6XX, much more comfortable for extended periods, but still too much for me for >3 hours or so.
From what I've read, the voice coil wire may be too short. It can break. I've considered buying a broken pair from Ebay and repairing them. 26 or 28awg wire should do the trick.

tomtrp

From what I've read, the voice coil wire may be too short. It can break. I've considered buying a broken pair from Ebay and repairing them. 26 or 28awg wire should do the trick.
the voice coil wire issue is indeed easy to fix but the Elex also has significant driver imbalance QC issue. Focal did a terrible QC job for the Elear and Elex.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the voice coil wire issue is indeed easy to fix but the Elex also has significant driver imbalance QC issue. Focal did a terrible QC job for the Elear and Elex.
Mine sound perfectly matched.

Soundsinheaven

Does anyone have a winning amp partner for these headphones? Looking at 2nd hand amp between £200-300. Lakepeople amps?
Just amp no DAC.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone have a winning amp partner for these headphones? Looking at 2nd hand amp between £200-300. Lakepeople amps?
Just amp no DAC.
I've used the Massdrop THX 789 and the Monolith THX 888-both drive them easily.

Top Bottom