• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MASSDROP X Focal ELEX Measurement #2

antdroid

Reviewer

https://drop.com/buy/focal-pads-for-elex-headphones/talk/2669086

1618358914470.png

Seems like newer batches are fixed now.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They also had padgate :)

Pad variance seemed like a problem. Focal's older pads were bigger than the newer sets coming in from the small evidence I've seen.
I was a victim of Padgate. Sucks but got them for free after all the drama.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW just checked the Drop site and noticed they have sold appx 3,500 pair. I asked in the discussion section if they would disclose the # of HPs that were either returned defective or reported defective. Hope they reply.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@amirm I think a more appropriate title (at least for future threads) would be "... Sample #2" instead of measurement #, as that doesn't imply a different device. Just a thought...

RikB

Good review. Love my Elears, prefer them to the Sennheiser HD800 (haven't tried the HD800S). Thankfully no crackling noise however loud I've pushed them

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here except when playing some of the tracks he tests with (on the Clear) at very loud volumes it does crackle and distort. It's a horrible sound. But at such an incredible level I would never listen at that volume.

Seems like newer batches are fixed now.

Just ordered a pair last week from drop and had them delivered on Wednesday, might still have some QC issues. Check out how the pads arrived.
Right pad:
RightPads.jpg

Left pad:
LeftPads.jpg

I was hoping all the wrinkles in the right pad were purely cosmetic, but the left pad is noticeably firmer, so the right pad being less firm compresses more against my head, presumably bringing the driver slightly closer to my ear.

As a result I'm noticing channel imbalance issues where some frequencies are more pronounced from the right driver. I opened a support ticket with Drop so we'll see how they attempt to resolve this.

When I'm not hearing any balance issues I am absolutely loving these cans.

Jimmy

The right pad looks used and shows pilling, strange with a new unit, looks more like a refurb.

Top Bottom