• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Massdrop THX AAA 789 as preamplifier

Lindirizzo

Hi to you all!
Is there anyone that is using the Massdrop THX AAA 789 as preamplifier from the 4-pin xlr out?

OP
L

Lindirizzo

No one? I'm just waiting for mine to arrive then I'm going to build a cable 4-pin XLR to 2 3-pin XLR

kn0ppers

I mean sure, you could do that, but buying a THX AAA 789 because you want to use it as a preamp primarily? Seems like overkill.

OP
L

Lindirizzo

I understand, but I'is still cheap as a preamplifier, the other one I was thinking about is the Benchmark...

mt196

There are better option to use as pre, the front XLR is amplified and that is something you don't want from a preamp usually (plus it adds distortion, even if you cannot hear it). I.e. a cheap schiit sys cost muuuch less and does the job perfectly without adding anything to the sound

OP
L

Lindirizzo

Thank you mt196, I'm going to drive my mono amps with 5 meters balanced cables and then the low output resistance may be useful

wric01

How did it turn out? I m thinking to do the same with the 4 pin xlr out. Have you tested vs rca out on the 789?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are better option to use as pre, the front XLR is amplified and that is something you don't want from a preamp usually (plus it adds distortion, even if you cannot hear it). I.e. a cheap schiit sys cost muuuch less and does the job perfectly without adding anything to the sound
But if you want gain?

Top Bottom