• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp VS JDS Atom

zblackwell

Hello all,

I saw the THX amp may be dropped today. I'm a noob at fully understanding the analysis on both these amps, but I already own the Atom and am pleased. It looks like from the two analysis threads that the THX amp wouldn't really be an upgrade running my HD800s. Is my conclusion correct?

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why is this?
The Atom actually has more than THX in its unbalanced headphone connection.

The advantage of THX is balanced input if you pair it with a balanced output DAC to avoid ground loops. If you don't have ground loops then that doesn't matter.

You snooze you lose brotha, it was live for about 1hr.

monkey4054

Bloody time difference! It was 4 am here when the drop went live. Eh, I'll just get the Atom then. Not waiting until August to maybe get to order it.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bloody time difference! It was 4 am here when the drop went live. Eh, I'll just get the Atom then. Not waiting until August to maybe get to order it.

Good purchase, and it will save you a lot of money for the same sound quality.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. I ordered the Massdrop THX amp in the drop three months ago, having heard from posters here that it would actually ship shortly after the drop despite the ridiculous ship date shown in the drop. Well, it still hasn't shipped. Regretting that I didn't just buy an Atom.

Seing your three systems, you are not short of music though ;-)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear you.
Well, you could get an Atom for system 1 and wait for the THX for system 3.

michaelye168

Ordered THX twice and cancelled both. I currently have UD-301, Dx3 Pro and Dx7s is on order. I seriously doubt that I can hear any difference or compare which is better among all these dac/amps.

If I need another amp, I may just buy an atom. THX is too expensive and I would rather spend the money on different headphones tastes.

Veri

Master Contributor
Ordered THX twice and cancelled both. I currently have UD-301, Dx3 Pro and Dx7s is on order. I seriously doubt that I can hear any difference or compare which is better among all these dac/amps.

If I need another amp, I may just buy an atom. THX is too expensive and I would rather spend the money on different headphones tastes.
I could not hear a difference between DX3 headphone out and line-out to THX. The latter only seems worth it for something like HE-6 or T50RP mods, balanced. But even then Atom's high gain might suffice...

The THX is a pretty thing to own, though, I just had to sell mine due to crazy eBay resell prices :)

wric01

Thx 789 is the jack of all trades, you are paying for convenience and not have to plug in and out to compare headphones as most with a larger collection of headphones. I prefer having 2 connections at same time a single ended and b balanced two headphones at once and a third single ended output to desktop bookshelfs without fiddling your dac to switch from rca or xlr. Auto on and off is nice also. That extra power from balance is well worth it in the long run when testing hardest to drive headphone types.

Top Bottom