• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE Review (Headphone)

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Can I ask you show your settings? Because I expected to see some V-shape graph, but I can see smt weird
3JfUwN2.png
No V setting showing in my settings :
HD 58X Fabfilter settings.png

Attachments

• HD 58X settings.png
    HD 58X settings.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 340

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
But it is not oratary settings https://www.dropbox.com/s/lr0t5bm0g9h167t/Sennheiser HD58X.pdf?dl=0
Why did you mention oratory if you have totally different settings? Are you ok?
Why shouldn't I be OK????
Every measurement, every setting is an approximation because no two headphones from the same brand and model will measure the same !!! Slight variations are more a rule than an exception.
Furthermore, no two ears are alike !!! It isn't written in stone i perceive music the exact same way you do.
What you see are the oratory setting tweaked to my ears/liking.

0%_Audiophile

I just played with EQ, have tried all presets which were described here, also all presets from this page https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets#wiki_full_list_of_eq_settings.3A and just turn off EQ and removed this APO+Peace software, do not like all these manipulations at all.
With EQ all details will be lost, without EQ I can hear even poor quality of track. I do not know, maybe because I use pretty good DAC+AMP I do not need all EQ settings. But I really like the sound out of the box after 2 years of usage.

Can anyone explain me why all EQ settings with negative Pre-AMP ?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Can anyone explain me why all EQ settings with negative Pre-AMP ?
Yes, I can. When you boost with an EQ filter you need to reduce the output level to prevent clipping.
But I really like the sound out of the box after 2 years of usage.
Then that's all that matters. If you like it as is then don't mess with it.

0%_Audiophile

Yes, I can. When you boost with an EQ filter you need to reduce the output level to prevent clipping.
Then that's all that matters. If you like it as is then don't mess with it.
One more notice: when pre-Amp usually -8 or -11 with configs I have to increase level of volume in 2 times for hear all details again...
What does it mean 'clipping'? Probably I don't hear it.

Paweł L

Did the same as per SolderDude mod with 4mm hole in felt pad for forniture. I did rather crude frd above 500Hz with Clio - microphone around 1.5cm from the drivers before and after - the dip around between 3-5kHz and upper mids-bass/low mids bump are gone. After the mod they're very listenable - the muddiness is gone. Between 5-10kHz one driver is off by 1.5 dB. At this price nothing to complain about. A friend of mine after having a quick listen said 'these are nice'. EQ not really required, actually some recordings sound worse when I try to EQ for flatter freq resp.

0%_Audiophile

Did the same as per SolderDude mod with 4mm hole in felt pad for forniture. I did rather crude frd above 500Hz with Clio - microphone around 1.5cm from the drivers before and after - the dip around between 3-5kHz and upper mids-bass/low mids bump are gone. After the mod they're very listenable - the muddiness is gone. Between 5-10kHz one driver is off by 1.5 dB. At this price nothing to complain about. A friend of mine after having a quick listen said 'these are nice'. EQ not really required, actually some recordings sound worse when I try to EQ for flatter freq resp.
Didn't get what exactly you made

Paweł L

Didn't get what exactly you made
I did not try to use your EQ settings or ones by Oratory1990, Sonarworks, Wavelet, Rtings, etc (they all differ from each other by the way). What I did with my set of 58Xs is to make them as usable as possible with equipment which doesn't have EQ capabilities. Of course none of the EQ settings listed here and there will provide flat freq response as they only apply to unmodified headphones. My post was rather directed towards Martigane and the mod he applied to his headphones.

Paweł L

As for clipping - to convert digital signal without overload distortions the maximum levelof the waveform as it leaves the DAC section can't exceed 0dB level (actually -3dB). When it does the DAC will produce spurious distortions similar to cheap underbiased B class amplifier, both harmonic and intermodulation.

0%_Audiophile

self-hypnosis :facepalm: one man decided to cut some foam and put it on drivers and everybody repeats it, out of the box there is a foam for prevent dust.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have these and bought a set of the Drop earpads for the HD 6XX & 58X. Ordered the fenestrated sheepskin and I was surprised how much deeper the bass seemed after the pad change. I'd heard pads change the sound of HP's but have never done it before. Just didn't like the feel of the felt original pads so bought these and am happy.

Martigane

self-hypnosis :facepalm: one man decided to cut some foam and put it on drivers and everybody repeats it, out of the box there is a foam for prevent dust.
I think that you are mixing up mods.

- 1 mod is about cutting out a hole in the front protective foam (or so i ve read for hd650), i dont believe in it, it seems to measure the same.
- another different mod is to ADD a foam on the back of the magnet, partly obstructing/damping the back wave. Measurement do show changes for the better.

Have a look at the "modification" pdf in the link provided, there is an in depth set of measurements.

What a way to jump mocking others at first occasion. That is sad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom