• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE Review (Headphone)

Paweł L

I find the 6XX to be have better detail, and with EQ and better amp definitely quite good. The driver matching is better. To me 58X don't have the same transparency (maybe, because of the 5kHz peak and more mids), but I think their low mids and bass is flatter - the bass is to me more linear, while the 6XX have bump in lower mids/upper bass. One channel in my 58Xs has 2dB drop between 6-10kHz, and less highs than 6XX. Definitely they have different sound signature comparing them side by side. The 6XX have slight dip in the mids comparing to 58X and better highs - slight V.
This HD 6XX review and the 58X would most likely represent what I hear. Depending on the front end, music played, one might prefer one over the other. In general if someone likes sparkling highs, then it's better to look in the other direction. Bright source would complement the 6XX; bright, slight V for the 58X. I think the 6XX better responds to EQ.
The pads from Sennheiser also seem to a bit softer than the ones from Drop, or maybe they got softer with some use, but the comfort is very good - I can wear them for hours. The soundstage is rather narrow. When they are on sale, yeah, they good deal. The 560S in another headphone to consider, but people say their bass distortions are higher when the bass hits hard, and have to much energy in 4-7kHz range. At this point I would like to try something like DT -1990 but they are way more than I can afford.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find the 6XX to be have better detail, and with EQ and better amp definitely quite good. The driver matching is better. To me 58X don't have the same transparency (maybe, because of the 5kHz peak and more mids), but I think their low mids and bass is flatter - the bass is to me more linear, while the 6XX have bump in lower mids/upper bass. One channel in my 58Xs has 2dB drop between 6-10kHz, and less highs than 6XX. Definitely they have different sound signature comparing them side by side. The 6XX have slight dip in the mids comparing to 58X and better highs - slight V.
This HD 6XX review and the 58X would most likely represent what I hear. Depending on the front end, music played, one might prefer one over the other. In general if someone likes sparkling highs, then it's better to look in the other direction. Bright source would complement the 6XX; bright, slight V for the 58X. I think the 6XX better responds to EQ.
The pads from Sennheiser also seem to a bit softer than the ones from Drop, or maybe they got softer with some use, but the comfort is very good - I can wear them for hours. The soundstage is rather narrow. When they are on sale, yeah, they good deal. The 560S in another headphone to consider, but people say their bass distortions are higher when the bass hits hard, and have to much energy in 4-7kHz range. At this point I would like to try something like DT -1990 but they are way more than I can afford.
(Bass distortion in HD560s is lower than that of the HD600/650/6XX/58X):

My HD560s measured by Oratory:
HD560s Distortion.png

Amir's measurements of HD560s show higher distortion than that measured by Oratory:
index.php

but it's still lower distortion than the HD600/HD650:
index.php

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir aligns at 425Hz, oratory at 1kHz. So with the 560S in practice, Amir's 94dB is about 2.3dB louder than oratory's 94dB.
That should account for some of the difference.
Good point! HD560s is still showing lower distortion in the bass though than the HD600/650/6XX.

RoA

Some first impressions on the 58X. - They are engaging, reasonably fast and punchy. They are somewhat mid forward/lower mid forward. Voices are close, closer than any of my other HP's. No harshness though, very smooth. Treble is clean, very sweet and well integrated though not as detailed or as airy as either the Mezes, Beyers or the Sundara. Equal to the Grado's perhaps. Rhythmically good.

At first I really enjoyed the full and present midrange but after a while it became a little 'oppressive', taking away from the rest and to be honest, I missed the sound stage of the others, all of which did better in that respect. they also revealed space between instruments/performers better.

Enter Roon EQ. a bit adjustment and the HP is imho better now. with a sound that is probably still preserving much of what is so liked and talked about the 6 series but now having a resemblance of sound stage and better focus and space. It still lacks technically to some of the others but does midrange different than others. I like it. Its a phone you can listen to for hours. Very comfortable too after some headband persuasion! Easy to drive. It will stay for the moment.

For the money, they are very good and you'd probably struggle to find anything significantly better.

Looking forward to hearing the new 660S2 and Meze 109 Pro.

isostasy

Does anybody know what the Sennheiser serial number 528480 refers to? It is printed on the driver of the HD58X, PC37X, my PC360, and the HD559/599, but as it is on the pcb I wonder if it is the number for just this part rather than the entire driver capsule?

The first 3 look the same but the HD559/599 is obviously different because it has the weird thing glued on the magnet and 4 holes punched out the back paper.

Paweł L

HD 559/598/599: the 4 holes 'punched on the back paper' - if you cover them with very thin open cell foam or one layer of paper tissue the lower midrange/upper bass hump will be reduced making the midrange nice and flat.
However the lower bass will also be reduced.
As far as I know, the HD 58X driver has 150 ohm impedance and is different than other drivers from 558/598/599 series. It's somewhat similar to HD 600 series, or rather to HD 660S, which has the same impedance. The number you referring to 528480 is just part number for the PBC and does not refer to driver it self. BTW, if you cover the vent on the back of the 'magnet' on the 58X, or any other headphone driver it will have effect similar to what I described above, but depending of material used to cover the vent, the effect is somewhat different. The exact description, with measurements, is in Solderdudes PDF 58X review on diyaudioheaven site. Great site BTW, if someone wants to learn more about headphones. My 58X are moded to Solderdudes description, with the AKG K240 foam and without the foam behind the perforated steel grill - quite a difference, making it more neutral and with better soundstage.

Joramun

I just pulled the trigger on these headphones on Drop.

You can get them for $129 USD with code SEPT20.

Not a bad discount.

Joramun

Received these HP's yesterday and I'm enjoying them a lot!!!

The only other HP's I have are the Focal Eligias. So in terms of build quality it's definitely not on the same level as the Focals. But for $$129 USD I have no complaints really. I replaced the default cables with modular cables from Hart Audio.

I'm enjoying all types of music with the HD58X. Can definitely listen to it louder than the Eligia's and it doesn't clip so easily. No listening fatigue so far.

Using Oratory's 10 band EQ

Here's a sample of what I listened to:
  • The Alan Parsons Project
  • Ice Cube
  • INXS
  • Mariah Carrey
  • Duran Duran
  • Megadeth
  • Shalamar
  • Oasis
  • Motörhead
  • Wu-Tang Clan
All in all $129 well spent!

Ashimaru

I really like the sound of the akg foam @solderdude mods with the foam side facing the driver, but the problem is that the double-sided tape is not very strong when it touches the foam, they come off very easily. Will using some kind of 3M tape last longer? or is there another trick?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
put some daps of glue between the foam and the double sided tape if needed.

Top Bottom