• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE Review (Headphone)

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review, Amir.
These are going on the Christmas wish-list.

It seems like this is the best bang-for-buck Sennheiser, right?
What would be the reason to spend the extra US$50 for Massdrop's Sennheiser HD 6XX over these?
Some might prefer the sonics, some might like the darker color better.

Jave

I think you posted the weight histogram again at the end, instead of the sensitivity histogram

These look really good, especially for when they are sold for less than 150$

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. This is much better than I expected considering the placement below HD6XX.

Then again, I should have known better. :facepalm: These are headphones after all; the price-to-performance relationship is so weak it can be hard to find a pattern.

SeriousSam70

The sensitivity differs only 0.7dB. 104.7dB/V for HD650 (measured by you) vs 104dB/V for HD58X (acc. to Drop)
Almost 1dB is noticeable but to me they sound about equally loud.

Measurements align with mine. HD58X compared to HD650 (2017)
hd650-2018-vs-hd58x1.png

A bit more bass extension for HD58X and less energy -2.5dB (forwardness/clarity) around 3kHz

Besides the 0.7 dB difference in sensitivity, doesn't the difference in impedance between HD58X and HD650 (150 Ohm vs. 300 Ohm) also influence the volume (in the sense that the headphone with lower impedance sounds louder at the same volume setting of the amplifier) ?

Maiky76

This is a review and detailed measurements of the MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $170 from drop.com.

Other than not being able to see through the grill and observe the drivers, the HD58X looks quite similar to Sennheiser HD650:

View attachment 145201

The large cups are pretty comfortable to wear considering lighter than average weight of 265 grams:
View attachment 145202

Inside cup dimensions are 72x44 mm and the depth is 20 mm.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Fitment on the fixture was challenging even though the cups easily covered the artificial ear on my measurement fixture. This resulted in fairly large variations in bass response. I got the two channels to match which is a good sign but still, keep in mind the cautions above in bold.

HD58X Jubilee Measurements
As usual we start with the headphone frequency response as comparison to our preference curve:

View attachment 145203

Track is close to our target up to 2 kHz. HD650 as a comparison, did better past that:

index.php

Both are bass shy and will need equalization. Unfortunately distortion as with HD650 is rather high in bass:

View attachment 145204

View attachment 145205

Back to frequency response, here is our relative curve for building an EQ:

View attachment 145206

Impedance is markedly lower than HD650:

View attachment 145207

Combined with slightly better sensitivity, it should be easier to drive:

View attachment 145208

Group delay has a few distinct notches which can also be traced to wiggles in the frequency response:

View attachment 145209

There are likely resonances mixing with the direct sound of the driver causing phase errors.

HD58X Listening Tests and Equalization
As with HD-650, out of box experience is fine and definitely usable. No reason to settle for it though as much better performance can be had with equalization:

View attachment 145210

Once there, the sound was delightful with surprisingly good amount of spatial qualities (I give it B+). I listened for the rest of the evening after I tested and did not want to put it down.

Compared to HD-650, the HD58X was noticeably louder so direct comparison was not possible. I was too lazy to set up dual headphone amps & DACs (to EQ each separately) with volume matching for this review. Will do that for future ones.

Conclusions
Hard to know if Sennheiser attempt to produce a lower quality headphone in dropping the price so much. What is there is very close to HD650 at a fraction of the price. With EQ, this headphone sounds darn good and is a superb value for just $170. This is half the cost of HD-650.

I can recommend the MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE without EQ. With EQ, it is a hair from getting top honors from me!

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Hi,
Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues
  • Not all units of the same products are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit.
  • YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.

Good L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 75.5
Score Armirm: 80.6
Score with EQ 1: 90.1
Score with EQ 2: 90.1 (identical score but with full compensation of the trough)

Code:
MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE APO EQ 1 Flat@HF 96000Hz
August032021-200939

Preamp: -6 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 35.42 Hz Gain 6.13 dB Q 0.52
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 177.50 Hz Gain -2.53 dB Q 0.84
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1231.55 Hz Gain -1.68 dB Q 1.74
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2235.63 Hz Gain 2.43 dB Q 2.85
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4330.18 Hz Gain 3.00 dB Q 4.44
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5643.65 Hz Gain -3.93 dB Q 4.58
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7242.96 Hz Gain 4.06 dB Q 1.66

MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE APO EQ 2 Flat@HF 96000Hz
August032021-201058

Preamp: -6 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 35.51 Hz Gain 6.13 dB Q 0.52
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 176.26 Hz Gain -2.47 dB Q 0.79
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1227.55 Hz Gain -1.64 dB Q 1.84
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2241.69 Hz Gain 2.40 dB Q 2.85
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4472.32 Hz Gain 6.45 dB Q 5.15
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5412.21 Hz Gain -3.71 dB Q 3.77
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7352.14 Hz Gain 3.77 dB Q 2.07

MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE APO EQ 1 Flat@HF 96000Hz.png

MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE APO EQ 2 Flat@HF 96000Hz.png

Attachments

• MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE APO EQ 2 Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    445 bytes · Views: 136
  • MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE APO EQ 1 Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    445 bytes · Views: 133

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Love to read that @amirm

What is there is very close to HD650 at a fraction of the price. With EQ, this headphone sounds darn good and is a superb value for just $170. This is half the cost of HD-650.

How can one not order ?

BostonJack

Editor
Yep, I regretfully agree.
I'm not in the US either ... :confused:
Otherwise I wouldn't care.
There are good Sennheiser deals nowadays and I'll be tempted.

I'm a real fan of the HD6XX; they are my daily drivers for meetings, listening to jazz while working.. etc.
Not claiming any golden ear or knowledge of detailed FR. They are just very pleasant, detailed headphones.

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
I always thought the 58X was noticeably tighter in the bass and more extended. I love the 650, but to me the 58X just sounds more solid and more dynamic, even though it’s a lower price.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had these for a long time. First the HD600 replaced the HD650 (the sennheiser veil) and then these replaced the HD600. Finally Stax L300 Limited replaced these. Really really great phones with outstanding value for the price.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Besides the 0.7 dB difference in sensitivity, doesn't the difference in impedance between HD58X and HD650 (150 Ohm vs. 300 Ohm) also influence the volume (in the sense that the headphone with lower impedance sounds louder at the same volume setting of the amplifier) ?

Only when efficiency numbers are given in dB/mW but when sensitivity is listed in dB/V it does not matter.
In fact it makes the 150ohm version harder to drive because at the same voltage double the current is required.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. This is much better than I expected considering the placement below HD6XX.

Then again, I should have known better. :facepalm: These are headphones after all; the price-to-performance relationship is so weak it can be hard to find a pattern.
I had both in the past and I remember liking the HD-6xx a little bit better but that was extremely close. Both didn't have enough bass extension for me, but, even tough they don't do the lowest of the lows, the HD58X sounded a bit boomy to me. Response don't really show that but I think my own taste is just sightly below "Harman Bass". But really those were very small gripes, both are excellent, just not enough to chose either over my Elex on anything, so there was no point keeping them.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Only when efficiency numbers are given in dB/mW but when sensitivity is listed in dB/V it does not matter.
In fact it makes the 150ohm version harder to drive because at the same voltage double the current is required.
Where do you find sensitivity measurment in this review. I don't find any, I see the weight graph twice.

aasearles

Forum Donor
These look really good, especially for when they are sold for less than 150$

I'm the owner of the 58x sample for this review, can confirm they were purchased for ~$135 last year. For what it's worth, the 58x's 150 ohms is enough for a good match to my OTL headphone amp. They also respond well to SS amps, so one of the more versatile headphones I've tried.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
The longevity of the HD 580/600/650 series is probably without peer in the fickle audiophile world. It's a testament to the thoroughness and expertise of the original design work. The series is the Volvo 240 of headphones.

One thing though, I have noticed that people trying [this series] on tend not to extend the cups enough from the headband. This requires stretching out the headband more, which puts pressure against the top of the head and results in much higher clamping pressure than necessary. Comfort is best when the earpieces are extended just enough for the headband to rest lightly against the top of your noggin. Judging from both personal observation and user comments I've seen here and there, I think it explains the dings the 650 sometimes gets for comfort. People expect that pressure, so they adjust until they get it, sacrificing comfort in the process.

Last edited:
Top Bottom