• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Massdrop HD-6xx - Could it be damaged if accidentally played through at max volume for a couple seconds?

ethanhallbeyer

I'll skip the details on how this happened, but I wound up playing music using a new DAC and my Drop 789 headphone amp for a couple of seconds with the headphone amp's volume knob at max with the gain at level 1 (Drop 789 has 3 gain levels I, II and III). My hearing aside, which seems ok since it was no more than a couple of seconds, just wondering if this has caused any damage at all to my headphones (Massdrop HD-6xx) that I connect via XLR?

The headphone sounds fine after that incident, no rattling or anything weird, but just wondering if it still could have caused even slight damage to the headphones.

Thanks in advance!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
If it sounds fine no need to worry.

The drivers can handle 0.5W continuous so with music 2W peaks for short durations should not damage the headphones (but your ears will hate it).
The THX in balanced will do 0.8W in 300 Ohm and the headphone would (temporarily) produce peaks around 125dB SPL.

Last edited:

eric00886

I'll skip the details on how this happened, but I wound up playing music using a new DAC and my Drop 789 headphone amp for a couple of seconds with the headphone amp's volume knob at max with the gain at level 1 (Drop 789 has 3 gain levels I, II and III). My hearing aside, which seems ok since it was no more than a couple of seconds, just wondering if this has caused any damage at all to my headphones (Massdrop HD-6xx) that I connect via XLR?

The headphone sounds fine after that incident, no rattling or anything weird, but just wondering if it still could have caused even slight damage to the headphones.

Thanks in advance!

I have similar experience in my earphone but only one broken: Philips SHP8900. One side has harmmmmm noise in low frequency. :eek:

Top Bottom